Pricewatch!

I stayed logged into GOG on my Android phone so I could see it any time - even between sets at the gym. :)

Yeah but my time in the gym was for a high impact, high intensity boxing aerobic class. The only break is when you cheat for your break by getting a drink of water. It's a great class but it demands your full attention or you will injure yourself or someone else in the class.

Meanwhile, Expeditions: Conquistador is up right now for $4.99
some might remember this game from it successful KickStarter last year.
It's normally 20 bucks, so GOG has it for a great price for a little while longer.

Ladies and gentlemen (actually, are there any ladies?), the GoG promo has ended. Please return to your lives.

Did anybody say GOG? ;)

Buy Deponia 3 (a new release) for 22$ and get part 1 & 2 for free.

Here are three bundles some of you might be interested in from from a site called Bundle Stars. Each one is $4.00 or less.

1. http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/majestic-indie-bundle/
Mount & Blade, Majesty 2 Collection, Hoard Complete Pack, Forge Starter Pack, Crusader Kings Complete, Shelter, Enclave , Rune Classic, Knights & Merchants
2. http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/fps-warriors-bundle
The Ship: Complete Pack, Legendary, Shattered Horizon, Section 8, Dino D-Day, Sniper: Ghost Warrior Gold Edition
3. http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/outer-limits-bundle/
UFO Extraterrestrials Gold, Blades of Time Limited Edition, Insane 2, Hydrophobia Prophecy, Race Injection, Warfare, Puzzle Kingdoms, Gumboy Tournament, Supreme Ruler 2020 Gold, Razor2: Hidden Skies

Ladies and gentlemen (actually, are there any ladies?), the GoG promo has ended. Please return to your lives.

Factoids

25 games secured.
There were only 3 games in the sale that were on my wish list and I only got a big fat one.
Of the 25 games purchased about half were total impulse buys.
One surprise purchase was Alpha Centauri ($1.49), I'm sorta proud of that purchase
The accompanying forum thread combined with "the list" (what was sold and what games remained) made the sale come alive.
I was tied into the sale pretty much from beginning to end.
I never tried to say awake but when I woke up, turning on my IPad was the next thing I did.
When gamers get together to talk games, hilarity and creativity ensues.

Case in point. Jake Keane 2 took over 7 hours to sell. Read some of the game reviews people posted to get the game to sell . . . . .

from one review

Once in a lifetime, there comes a game that changes not only the face of gaming, but the very soul of all who are blessed enough to experience it. Jake Keane 2: The Fire Within is precisely such a game

the rest of the reviews are here:
http://www.gog.com/game/jack_keane_2_the_fire_within

I have to say it was a lot of fun and I'm glad I participated.

And I got 25 games.

I was a little disappointed by how often they recycled the same titles, but it was still interesting to watch and see how quickly certain games sold out.

There were only 3 games in the sale that were on my wish list and I only got a big fat one..

Out of curiosity- what were the 3 games you wanted?

I was a little disappointed by how often they recycled the same titles, but it was still interesting to watch and see how quickly certain games sold out.

Out of curiosity- what were the 3 games you wanted?

As far as recycled titles. The sale had a little over 100 games (they advertised 101 but it turned out to be more). There were 3 rounds for the whole set of games. And when a game came up they offered anywhere from 100 to 1000 games. They also had free games thrown in there but they only offered 25 games and you had to have a quick fingers, a good internet connection and a great monitor response time. I have a good internet connection . . . . . .

My wish list was:
Deus Ex
Planescape
Startopia

Deus Ex (the original game not GOTY) is in the garage. And I have two physical copies of Planescape somewhere in the house. Since those two games are among my favorites of all time, I would have liked to have an emergency copy in the cloud. It was certainly worth the cost (1.99) for the convenience.

I've had my eye on Startopia for years. I almost snagged one when I worked at Sottware Etc. a long long time ago. But it had been in the stores for what seemed like years and the box was thrashed. When GOG came around and Startopia was listed I starred it, but I still never got around to buying a copy. Finally I decided to pull the trigger with the GOG insomnia sale, but it seemed like the fates were planning against me because I couldn't get the game until the final round.

One game that interested me but I missed out completely was Shelter. (The badger in the woods, survival game) But some of the folks at the forum pointed us to a humble bundle site where I ended up getting Shelter and a few more games so actually my game haul was over 25, but why quibble.

Jake Keane 2 took over 7 hours to sell. Read some of the game reviews people posted to get the game to sell . . . . .
I've bought both Jack Keane games before, not on this sale. Yes they are above average, but are nothing spectacular or genrechanging (if you want to see and play something new in the genre, there is recently released Brothers).
If you generally like adventures, I'd say both are a must have. But if you're not into adventures, you won't miss anything by skipping Jack Keane games.

One thing more… If you didn't get Jade Empire on GOG already, it's -75% on Steam this week.

I don't understand the "love" Jade Empire is getting these days. IIRC Jade Empire wasn't well received here, codex or other places at the time of release. It was considered one of Bio's bad/weak releases at that time. So what has changed now? :)

Anyway I thought it was a a decent game at the time of release. Not great but good!

I don't think that Jade Empire was good. It was a boring linear, action/adventure game. I think that its the artwork and the promise (and magic) of the unique setting rather than anything else is pulling people towards this game

I initially disliked what Jade represented - an RPG developer making a console action game.

Then when I realized that it's inevitable that RPGs will be made more actiony until eventually most gamers think that any title where you "play a role" (or where the story involves orcs and wizards) is an "RPG" and things became relative.

So I gave Jade a go and loved it despite the combat. Atmosphere, tone, quest design, are all pretty good imho. If action combat is a deal breaker, set to 'easy' and enjoy the content.

What "love" are we talking about?
There is just one word to describe Jade Empire: fun. And you can get hours and days of fun for 5 bucks. The catch is what Gaxkang mentioned, even if you find the combat annoying, dumb it down and have fun with other aspects of the game. It's not like common grinders where you can't cut out the respawning and go enjoy the rest of the stuff.
Everyone will agree that comparing it to other games you can buy today, it's definetly weak. But this is a pricewatch thread. Is that weak game worth getting it on sale? Yes, it is. It's not some a few minutes of fun overpriced DLC.

And I really couldn't care less how codex received not just Jade Empire but any game. To think of it, they'd probably positively receive only a game with extreme homophilia or homophobia, doesn't matter which as long as it's extreme.

Jade Empire certainly entertained me somewhat, but it was too linear and without any real exploration to be any good in my eyes. But yes, 5 bucks can be considered a good price by some.

I don't understand the "love" Jade Empire is getting these days. IIRC Jade Empire wasn't well received here, codex or other places at the time of release. It was considered one of Bio's bad/weak releases at that time. So what has changed now? :)

Anyway I thought it was a a decent game at the time of release. Not great but good!

what's changed?

$1.99 vs $39.99 (new)

For $1.99 I'm getting a game that I can easily put 20-30 hours into and have a blast. BTW people thanks for the tip on setting the combat to easy. Never have been good with twitch games.

It's $3.75.

Tempting, but for a game that would be so far down on my backlog list that I may never even play, I usually won't pay more that $2 for it. Arbitrary, but there it is.

Thrasher you should stop buying games and get some TV show instead. I suggest Utopia.

Anyways, on GMG, cpt. Morgane is 10€:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/hr/en/pc/games/adventure/captain-morgane-and-the-golden-turtle/

To buy or not to buy? Not there! Because it's also on sale but only 6€ on GamersGate:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CMGT/captain-morgane-and-the-golden-turtle

A fun adventure, not hard puzzles and filled with humor. If you like that genre, buy now.

Same authors made So Blonde which is currently not on sale anywhere.

—-

An interesting entry -25% on Steam is Axis Game Factory:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/253370/

You wanna make a game? This is maybe a thing you want for level design and you'll pay only 15€. It covers PC, Unix and Mac. No, forget phones. If you'll make games with this, you won't be making phonegame crap. :D

Gotcha. I can't even find it on Gog. It's not in their RPG nor action category. Gog's browsing and searching function is pretty shitty though, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's bugged on me again. I guess I should have been watching my iPhone more when I was driving? Heck everyone else does.

@Joxer, haha yes, watching more movies would really help with my gaming backlog. ;)

Back
Top Bottom