What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I saw "The Prestige" at the theatre and was blown away by it. A very underrated movie that didn't get the attention it deserved. I'll definitely be buying the DVD.

I would put it with "Children of Men" as some of the best movies I saw over the past year.

The Devil's Rejects
===================

I heard a lot negative comments of previous Rob Zombie's film, the HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES and naturally i never went to see that film. I half expecting "The Devil's Rejects" as another bad horror movie - as the film's title seems to implies so, but it was not the case and actually better than most B-list horror films i watched.

The movie is fully loaded with gritty violence, wacky, funny, satirical about a group of people (a seriously dyfuntional family) who apparently hold no qualm and see no law to butcher, torture, hunt, massacre, kidnap almost everyone they met. While on the other side, there is this local sheriff head who suspecting that his brother has been brutally murdered by them, and swore to bring down hammer of justice, vengeance and wrath of God upon them (or "...wrath of God up their *sses..." as the lines in the movie). The results of the conflict, of course - even more decapitation, massive shoutout, maimed bodies, road-kill (and i have to agree with Roger Ebert - one of the best you'll ever see!).

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050721/REVIEWS/50712001/1023

Just watched Bubba Hotep for the Nth time... it's a great movie if you like Bruce Campbell... he does a great Elvis.

We just watched "Thunderbirds" before I left on my business trip ... totally generic and forgettable.

If anyone has seen it, I would like a rating for '300'. Also, curse you darn Americans for getting it earlier than the rest of us. >.<

The buzz is *not* good - it is supposed to be a dumb hack-fest, so if you like that sort of thing ...

I saw the "300" trailer in theater when watching "Ghost Rider". It's really impressive; but yeah most film critics dished it on Rotten Tomatoes.

Not sure how a movie that's not even out yet(opens today), could have so many negative opinions.

I think it looks great from what I've seen.

*edit* Actually, the majority of reviews(61%) on Rotten Tomatoes were positive towards 300.

*edit* Actually, the majority of reviews(61%) on Rotten Tomatoes were positive towards 300.

With an average review score of ~6.2 ... what would you think if that was a game? Mediocre?

The buzz is *not* good - it is supposed to be a dumb hack-fest, so if you like that sort of thing ...

Actually I think it'll come out more as a Half-Life 1 than a Doom 3. So if it's done well (as the trailer indicates, although they aren't exactly a trusted source) I don't care what type of movie it is, I'll watch it.

Here's a good review of it that got me pumped up for the film, The Arrow is one of my most trusted sources. And his writing style pretty much always has me in stitches too!

The Arrow Reviews "300"

Yep, I'm so there!

whoa its directed by zack snyder--that changes things! i really loved the dawn of the dead remake he did and not just because it was a zombie movie, or that i was in the first audience to pre-screen it (by pure luck had no idea) six-months before release and not because it had ving rhames. my favourite thing about horror/survival movies is weapon/vehicle improv. thanks for the review xSamhainx.

If those were regular people giving it that score I might be concerned, but since those are film critic scores, I could care less.

Good point - and the whole thing is that you should look and see if you are likely to enjoy it and go on that. We went with my wife's sister's family (8 of us together) to see Eragon and enjoyed it much more than the reviews indicated we 'should'. Oh well ...

Information just released about "300".....

The number of movie-goers for the Warner Bros. epic "300" outnumbered crowds for the rest of the top-10 movies combined. If the estimate holds when final numbers are released Monday, "300" would break the record for best March debut ever, topping the $68 million haul for "Ice Age: The Meltdown" last year.

"300" played in 3,103 theaters, about 850 fewer than the "Ice Age" sequel, making its box-office performance even more notable. It averaged $22,567 a theater, a whopping number for a wide release.

The total for "300" includes $3.4 million from 62 IMAX theaters, a record opening weekend for the large-screen format.

Kiss my ass critics, I can't wait to see this movie!

Kiss my ass critics, I can't wait to see this movie!

You should never need to justify watching / listening / playing things based on what critics say. Doesn't mean it is all that great, but that often has little to do with whether or not you will like something.

We watched "The Celestine Prophecy (2006)", which is a somewhat spiritual tale of the discovery of a series of insights or prophecies that lay out a potential future for humanity. Pretty lame movie ... it was OK to watch as a 'down time' Netflix thing, but not much else ...

You should never need to justify watching / listening / playing things based on what critics say. Doesn't mean it is all that great, but that often has little to do with whether or not you will like something.
QUOTE]

You're absolutely correct. It just felt good to say that:)

Just saw (the new) Appleseed last night; I can't remember a single good review, but I liked it. I liked how they showed Bri 'in the flesh' - they never showed his face (yet you saw it at least once in the books). I really don't remember much of the old movie (art was mediocre at best, and I have it on video, but I mean to remember that it wasn't overly faithful to the books, either.

Back
Top Bottom