What games are you playing now?

though I'm trying to find time to give Darklands a try.

That's my favourite RPG, a fantastic game. I still own the original floppies, the manual and the box ! It's unfortunate that it was a commercial failure, because the devs had hoped to make sequels, one set in arthurian Britain and the other in Renaissance Italy, if I recall correctly.

I found that the 'creative' attribute was a game crusher. If I didn't take it and an other race did I felt cheated, if I did take it the game was ... not too easy ... but it ruined the flavor of having to make critical choices

So you just don't like having a choice? It isn't at all easy to win on the "impossible" level whether your race is creative or not. And, no, it didn't take 8 out of 10- you can get "flaws" to your race (like ship attack -20) and get additional scores to spend. MOO2 is superior to MOO because it has lot more choices- many technologies to discover etc.

It is such a pity MOO3 was a total disaster. But none of the original developers were present, so it isn't at all surprising... Actually, it is still surprising- MOO3 is utterly unplayable garbage.

I hope you don't mind if I ramble a bit... I'm mostly playing Gothic 3 during my spare time... but sometimes I play Never Winter Nights 2 (haven't finished it yet because I got Gothic 3 half way through it). Once in a while I get in the mood to shoot some people online so I play a first-person shooter... which is usually either Battlefield 2 or the Battlefield 2142 demo. If I go too long without the satisfaction of killing other players online I start to go crazy... ha!

After I finish with Gothic 3 and NWN 2 (which I anticipate will be sometime during Christmas break), I'll definitely go out and buy the new Total War 2 game. I have to say that Rome: Total War is at least one of the top 3 RTS experiences I've ever had - right up there with Warcraft III (which I still return to every summer it seems... hmm... games with free online play seem to never completely die for me). Anyway, I really loved the Fear FPS game that I beat during last year's Christmas break so I think I might also buy the expansion for that one. My step dad even beat that game... and he never has time to play games... but it was so fun he couldn't help but take a little time off from work to play it! If only he had the time for RPG games...

Arg! So many choices so little time!

Picked up Gothic 3 and NWN2 last week. G3 needs more memory to run at anything like a playable speed ... so that is on hold until I upgrade later this week. NWN2 looks like fun. Not sure if it is an improvment or not .... still in opening town playing a Rogue (with every intent of being a shadowdancer). Also still in WoW.

Fighting with G3, playing NWN2, and one day will get back to Dark Messiah but I have a feeling that will be a while.

Baldur's Gate with the Tales of the Sword Coast and the Tutu mod. Beginning to think that there is something horribly wrong with my fresh paladin when she gets beaten by a few kobolds ...

Still deep into Gothic 3 for the PC, at level 40 and just barely touched foot into Nordmar and Varant ... that has taken priority and I've barely touched NWN2.

Playing Final Fantasy III DS, but not very far yet. Nice game so far - the 3D re-imagination makes it feel classic & modern all at once.

On the PSP I've finished Dungeon Siege: LoadTimes of Agony ;) and am now back into GTA: Vice City Stories, and am now stuck on a timed mission and feel like Maxwell Smart - missed it by *that* much ...

@ txa1265: Don't you find it hard to memorize and get used to so many control schemes playing that many games at once? I don't consider myself a hard-core gamer, and only on rare occassions will I play more than one game at a time. When I do, I'm usually fumbling around with the controls for a bit after I switch games.
I am a hard-core Gothic gamer though, and incidentally the reason I bring this up....

When I first loaded Gothic 3 on my PC, I knew it was a Gothic game through and through because my brain switched on 'Gothic Mode' or something. Even though I haven't played either of the other Gothic games in at least a year, as I first started controling the nameless hero I was instinctively groping for the typical Gothic controls, and actually being surprised when he wouldn't do exactly as I 'commanded'!

Anyway, my point is even though the controls have changed etc... the game still screams the personality that saturated the first two - so much so that when seeing it for the first time, my mind (and fingers) went "Gothic 3? Oh yes, we know exactly how this works!" :lol:

@ txa1265: Don't you find it hard to memorize and get used to so many control schemes playing that many games at once?
I tend to more or less play one game per platform, which is what I'm doing now - NWN2 has hit back-burner significantly, I have it in another PC and play it just a little here and there. Control schemes in general are very different between systems (PC vs DS vs PSP) that I never get hung up there - but I couldn't be playing similar game types without confusion. For example, if I was trying to play a jRPG like 'Legend of Heroes' on PSP I would get very confused with also playing Final Fantasy III.

I understand. If I'm playing a driving or flying game the same time I play an RPG it's no problem. But if I'm playing, say, Morrowind and Gothic simultaneously, getting the controls sorted out is a nightmare!

Finished Dark Messiah a few days ago and now I'm taking a break from pc games for a bit. Purchased a Nintendo Wii this week, and I've been messing around with that. Right now I'm playing Legend of Zelda 'The Wind Waker'. I've had this game for 3 years and never played it, must say it's pretty interesting so far. Plan on playing the new Zelda game for the Wii as soon as I'm done with Wind Waker.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for the next patch before I start Gothic 3. It works out pretty well actually because I should be getting another gig of RAM about the same time that patch comes out.

Also picked up a copy of NWN 2 last week. Got it the day after Thanksgiving for $24.99. Haven't installed that one yet.

I'm playing Medieval 2: Total war at the moment. Finished Gothic and Arcanum in the last month and will likely restart one of those (probably Arcanum) when my Holy Roman Empire campaign is over.

Also picked up a copy of NWN 2 last week. Got it the day after Thanksgiving for $24.99. Haven't installed that one yet.
Who ran the sale, and is it still going? Don't have the hardware to play it, but I can put it on the shelf at that price.

Only get to game on the weekends right now, so I'm still chugging thru my Ironman Wiz8 game. We're headed for the mine tunnels next.

Last edited:
I started to replay LoL 1 today. *sigh* Instantly managed to bungle my route through the Draracle's cave, just like back in the days...

Who ran the sale, and is it still going? Don't have the hardware to play it, but I can put it on the shelf at that price.

It was on sale at Best Buy, Nov 24th-25th.

I normally try not to buy anything from that horrid store, but that deal was too good to pass up.

I started to replay LoL 1 today. *sigh* Instantly managed to bungle my route through the Draracle's cave, just like back in the days...

That was a tough and brutal game. What has remained most clearly in my mind about it is the look of the bruised and bloody faces of the party members when they took a beating (which would often happen, in my case anyway).

Bought a Xbox 360 last week so I'm playing with the games that came with it, Gears of War, GRAW, Gun and a compilation of Live Arcade puzzlers. And I started WOW not too long ago. I'm having fun for now with my human paladin although I dont know if I'll keep it up till level 60.

Why the sigh? Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaoes is probably one of the best games I've ever played (don't laugh >_>).

Ah, the memories of walking through those holes and fighting those nasty undead knights in the White Tower, the memories of avoiding holes without my map and my compass in the Castle ... Er, never mind, I think I understand now. <_<

Games I wish to play after my exams...
  • Oblivion addon: Knights of the Nine
  • Final Fantasy XII. I haven't even touched my copy yet. =/
  • Gothic 3. Same as above. Didn't even touch my copy. =/
I think that can keep me busy for a while. >_>

Last edited:
It was a sigh of utter pleasure, as it's one of my all-time favorite CRPGs :). Yet I had forgotten all about how easy it was to get stuck in the first big dungeon...
When I played the game back when it came out on floppies (i.e., for the first time), it took me two weeks to figure out the map-less room. I just didn't GET it, you know. And when I rode home on the bus one day, I was looking out of the window, and suddenly a thought occurred... 'Hey, why *did* they burn the map? They must have had a reason, right? What is visible on the map but invisible otherwise...? Ah yes...'

@Cormac: Yes, it 's definitely brutal. And the faces your team members make when surprised are scary. A bit like the face the original Doom guy makes on quite rare occasions, and it scared me out of my pants back then.

I played LOL 1 during this year too, but paused in the final castle. But I still want to finish it one day.

Back
Top Bottom