Theseus: Journey to Athens - Released in Early Access

i dont care for the character or the setting. but if you have good dialog and good scripts for responsive story.. id play it

For those that prefer IndieDB, the game has also been approved on that site: link to project on IndieDB

@Antiquity Games;
If you make reference to Theseus' ship you get bonus points from me.

Alas, the game ends before Theseus sets out on that ship, but now that you mention it I will be sure to include it in some of the ending scenes.

Looking forward to playing the full game when it's released, as a Greek I'm even more intrigued by your interpretation in a good way!!

Congratulations and keep it going!

Thanks! You might have noticed the sketches; they are sketches from Wordsworth during his time in Greece in the 19th century. I tried to get sketches from the correct locations, but sometimes they're just from random parts of Greece. If you look at the characters and buildings in the sketches, you can tell that they're from a much later time period than that of Theseus!

i dont care for the character or the setting. but if you have good dialog and good scripts for responsive story.. id play it

I have plenty of variables so that I can have the story feel responsive, but what constitutes good dialogue? I am rather plain and direct in my dialogue writing, and the characters in the first town do not have a lot of descriptive text. Nobody has complained about this so far, but for characters in the second town I have been adding one or two lines of descriptive text when you first meet them. For example, when Theseus meets Amphitrite, the first line of dialogue describes her as "ox-eyed" like in the source material.

The choose-your-own-adventure scenes are a little easier to include descriptive text, though, so there's some there.

Last edited:
Classics, archaeology, mythology, those are the reasons why I'm making this game. I love ancient texts from Greece, Rome, and China, and I am also a big fan of computer rpgs. My goal now is to somehow bring the classical source material to life by turning it into an rpg. Ideally I will git gud and one day I can become a profitable indie rpg developer like Jeff Vogel, thereby being able to justify quitting my current day job.

Make sure to read Lukian ! *chuckles* I have only read his Symposion so far, but that really made me nearly burst of laughter ! :D

Make sure to read Lukian ! *chuckles* I have only read his Symposion so far, but that really made me nearly burst of laughter ! :D

I have read a lot of Lukian, which is a little strange because I tend to avoid authors from the Roman period.

What made you start with the Symposium? I think Lukian gets the most attention for his True Story, and that has to be doubly true for RPG and science fiction fans. Definitely worth a read, it's a very unique work and a lot of fun to read.

This looks interesting! I'll pick it up when you release it on Steam.

I'm not sure if it is appropriate to bump an old thread, or if I should make a whole new thread in the Indie Games section, but there's been a lot of developments:

- I received Steam approval and now have an unpublished store page. Once its all filled out I will make it public and likely make a new announcement and offer a new demo build with all the improvements (see below).

- Dialogue system improved; you no longer have to bump into characters to initiate dialogue. Instead, right-clicking on them will initiate dialogue if you are close enough. I redid the movement system as well, but I still want to revisit it again closer to release.

- Every location in Troezen has new graphics. Dialogues have been rewritten. Slide show graphics updated to be consistent.

- Assets are continuing to be developed for the later game content; most recently I implemented the background for the Asklepion and a whole slew of new portrait pictures for the various characters in Epidauros. Spent last night picking out 19th century sketches of Greece to use in every single slide show/CYOA event.

- simple website created: https://antiquitystudio.com/

New screenshots, open in new tab to make them larger:

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic3.jpg

EDIT: Here's a bonus portrait/character:

Mortmal-150x150.png

He's a baker in Epidauros and he has a terrible attitude. A Thersites like figure, he tries to convince Theseus to give up on his quest and settle down. He might come in handy if you want to offer Zeus Lykaios an appropriate sacrifice.

Again, if it's poor form to bump an old news thread just let me know and I'll make something new in the Indie Game forum, and submit a news request when there's a brand new demo or actual full release.

Threads get revived here quite often for no real purpose, at least you did it for a solid reason. Congrats on getting a store page on Steam, I plan on checking out the demo when you get that up and running.

Threads get revived here quite often for no real purpose, at least you did it for a solid reason. Congrats on getting a store page on Steam, I plan on checking out the demo when you get that up and running.

Yep, I'd hold off on playing it until the new demo is released. I don't want to take the old demo down in case people do want to give it a spin, but the improvements are pretty big. The music samples I received from the artist are top notch, it feels like a different game when you've got the proper audio assets and more detailed graphics.

Major update today; released a new demo with a lot of big improvements on the old one. Check it out here: https://antiquity-games.itch.io/theseus-journey-to-athens

I also created a new thread in the Indie forum so that this news thread can drop off the map. Any future posts/updates will be in this thread:

https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41623

Thanks again for all the helpful advice and suggestions, and the supportive comments. Making this game has been great, and I can't wait to release the full version in January. It will be available for under $10; the demo is free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O9F-XYAcII

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom