Journey - looks like an unbelievable game / concept

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor
Has anyone played the game Journey yet? Alrick, this game has your name written all over it!

Looks pretty damn cool. Nonviolent, pure exploration with one big simple goal. Get to the mountain. The anonymous multiplayer aspect is clever, I can't wait to play it.

I went up the street and bought it

Do yourself a favor and disconnect your console from the internet before playing. If not, youll find someone solving puzzles ahead of you or beside you whether you want it or not. I know the Mp is a big feature, but i want to go it alone the first time, disconnecting is the only way to avoid the public

The demo is really short and doesn't show much. To be honest, I'm not really sure what to think of it. It's more of a puzzle platformer than anything else though.

The full game is only $15 on PSN. I'll think I'll pass for now though. I don't need to be adding any more games to my backlog right now.

Played Journey (PSN one, that is!) with my sister's kids (we took turns :)) and it was a great deal of fun.

The game is very short, around 4-5 hours, and is a platformer with a few simple puzzles.

But what a game! No tutorials,boss fights, dialogues, or even a traditional storyline. You just... play. And figure things out yourself. It's called Journey afterall :D

Graphics are astounding. Simple color palette for the most part but amazingly fluid animation and environments. Roaming a seemingly boundless desert is an incredible experience in this game. Many of the vistas are beautifully rendered.

Music is pleasant and soothing.

The whole game is just a work of art. There are many who played the game over and over. And some even claim to have felt so moved that they shed tears!

From an emotionally perspective, I can totally understand why :)

Played it all away through last night, truly a unique game. I don't think everyone would get it tho, you're basically traveling from point a to point B and revealing a story on the way which is abstract.
I personally loved it, and plan to play it again. Since the terrain doesn't change, replayability would come finding secrets or playing areas smoothly and flowingly which I stumbled through

Has anyone played the game Journey yet? Alrick, this game has your name written all over it!

I'm indeed following the press regarding it - but I don't own any console.

On the other hand, it imho speaks volumes that it isn't developed for the PC : It would soon be pirated there, and the PC platform has imho degenerated into a "shooter platform" anyway. Non-violent games won't have any chance there anymore.

Should I ever buy a Playstation 3, then Journey will be in the list of the first games I'll buy.

Sorry to hear that. Its a shame that games are divided up into this segregated PC/console thing

And I totally disagree with your statement about computer games being a shooter platform. There is a huge market for creative, nonviolent, exploration, non "combat or destruction oriented" games. Minecraft as an example.

The whole game is just a work of art. There are many who played the game over and over. And some even claim to have felt so moved that they shed tears!

From an emotionally perspective, I can totally understand why :)

I can understand that. It didnt move me to tears but it definitely stirred my emotions a bit. I felt a feeling or two work their way up from the black depths. My wife on the other hand was a soggy mess, it really affected her.

It's just really a sense of freedom when the game gives you what you need, then just lets you go and you're flying like a bird. I definitely can see myself playing this game over and over, because there are different ways you can play it in time. You can Putz around and explore and find secrets, are you can try to get through it as fast as possible and ride the adrenaline as you fly through the game at a breakneck speed. I am going to try multiplayer tonight

Had my first mp experience in the game, god the emotion it brought out in me. That's right - mean, rotten old tiger Sammy was feeling all emotional there for his little fellow traveler.

We had traveled the final roller coaster last section of the game together, me and my companion. We flew side by side until I noticed he or she was suddenly…. gone. They steered wrong and hit a wall, they didnt jump at the right time and went down into a ravine, i dont know. He or she was just gone, and I was alone.

I was standing at the end of the game, right before the threshold of the end game (you literally walk into the light) without my friend. I sat there waiting for them, we Just HAD to finish this game together, after all we'd been thru (we'd played together for a couple hours at least). I sat and waited, and waited some more. About 5 minutes passed I realized they probably werent coming, and my disappointment grew. She got disconnected, he had to go to the bathroom, maybe they just shut off the console in frustration… they just quit and left me hanging. My friend had left me. My friend had been defeated. My friend was gone.

So i got up, turned, and started walking towards the light….

then I heard the telltale chirping of my companion, as I turned and saw her emerging from the distant fog! The sense of elation i felt - I was so happy, words cannot explain. She walked up to me, we both exchanged a chirp or two, then we turned and walked into the light - side by side. It was a beautiful experience.

Cool Video about The Making of Journey

Last edited:
I have a similar feeling sometimes when I team up with a good friend in SWTOR. Sometimes, people just meet, they play together a part of the road (with their avatars) - and sometimes, they even stay in contact.

Not on PC? Why it ain't on PC?

Alrik - yes, Ive had some kinds of similar experiences in MMOs. This is kinda different in the way that it's totally anonymous. There is no definition whatsoever to someone you meet outside of 2 things: the symbol they wear and project when they chirp, and the levels of embroidery on their robes. The more times you play the game and collect trophies, the levels of embroidery on your robe increase, your scarf gets longer. If you get all the glyphs, you get a white robe. There is no designation of character/sex/race/personality beyond that, no communication other than the chirping. So there is a little ego and status I guess, because I already aspire to be a "white robe", and look to other players for secrets as we journey. On the other hand youre both simply concerned with exploring and experiencing the journey until the end, which when compared to MMOs and their grinding/raiding/griefing/social structures is a breath of fresh air. It's all positive

Joxer- Nope, no PC and it doesnt appear that it will ever be on PC. There are just exclusive titles for each platform, it's ridiculously limiting to both us and them but it's a way to keep those systems selling. That's why I have all systems, so I can have all access to the games I want to play. Besides Wii, I'll never buy one of those. I can borrow one if I need to

I just love the art and concept of this game. I'm slightly obsessed ='.'=

Attachments

• journey_by_warran-d4t9abc.jpg
    journey_by_warran-d4t9abc.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 24
  • journey_game_character_by_imsence-d5mjah7.jpg
    journey_game_character_by_imsence-d5mjah7.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 24
  • tumblr_m4wjd5MoO31rqy5vno1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m4wjd5MoO31rqy5vno1_1280.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Joxer- Nope, no PC and it doesnt appear that it will ever be on PC. There are just exclusive titles for each platform, it's ridiculously limiting to both us and them but it's a way to keep those systems selling.
Their loss.
I'm not buying consoles even if my life depended on it and in this case that means -1 to game sales.
At least until someone makes an emulator or something... But who knows if we'll remember this game or care for it when it happens. ;)

Back
Top Bottom