Gothic Need help changing Hero's looks in G1.

monster0

Traveler
Hi!

For a while now, I've been trying to make a small modification to change the head mesh, and also the head texture and body texture of the Nameless Hero in Gothic 1. I did this same stuff succesfully before for Gothic 2, but I can't get it to work in 1.:(

I want the Hero to look like Arto (the ore baron that talks to Scar in Gomez's room). So what I've done so far is: I used the VDFS tool to get Arto's head and body texture, as well as his head anim out of the .VDF files. I then found the Hero's files, and renamed Arto's files to the same names as the Hero's. I made the files' paths the same way as Gothic has them- _WORK/DATA/_COMPILED/ANIMS + TEXTURES
I then packaged it all up with the VDFS tool's builder function. I stuck the .mod file into Gothic's Data folder, and then tested it ingame, but it didn't do anything.:mad:
I've also tried the whole export/import hero thing and have edited the Zen files, but whenever I change the Hero's looks to Arto's, I'm unable to talk to anybody or rest, just like if I possesed him with O in Marvin Mode.

It seems I'm at a dead end.... I do, however, know that this whole thing is possible, because there are mods that change the player's looks, such as the Noname mod. I remember this being easy to do in G2, not sure why I can't make it work in G1.:S

Hopefully you guys can lend a hand. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

I think that the mods are different from those from number 2, so a different approach is needed. Perhaps Jaz can help you here -> After all she made the pic with the swamp witch.

Thanks for the reply, but who is Jaz? Is she a member of these forums? How could I reach her?

EDIT: NVM, I see Jaz is a "Super Moderator" on these forums.

Last edited:
Altering the texture with 'goman' will put Arto's skin on pc-hero's head but i suspect its the pony tail that you want removing in which you will indeed need to exchange the head mesh model. The problem lies with refering to the "Arto" model in game scripts. The trick is to swap the mesh models but keep everything under the name of hero with no Arto references.

Altering the texture with 'goman' will put Arto's skin on pc-hero's head but i suspect its the pony tail that you want removing in which you will indeed need to exchange the head mesh model. The problem lies with refering to the "Arto" model in game scripts. The trick is to swap the mesh models but keep everything under the name of hero with no Arto references.

Thank you Wulf, but I did know to rename Arto's files with the hero's names, I was just putting it all into the game the wrong way. I thought I needed to use the VDFS tool to package Arto's textures and anims up as a mod file, but I was wrong about that. I didn't have to create a mod file at all, I just had to rename his files to the hero's names and stick them in the _WORK folder in my Gothic game folder. I've got the Nameless Hero looking just like Arto and am now about to see if I can mess with his Zen file to make him walk like Arto too.:biggrin:

Thanks a lot you guys! Even though I did end up figuring out the solution on my own, it's very cool that you guys spared your time to help me.
I appreciate it very much.;)

Edit: Getting the player to walk like Arto was easy. I only had to copy one line from Arto's ZEN and paste it in mine. I am now wholeheartedly satisfied.:)

Last edited:
Well done monster0, you perseverence paid off. The zen indeed holds the key info. You can alter many functions. For example using a 2h sword in one hand does much damage but it's obviously an overkill. All overlays can be applied or the follower methods can be edited from the zen. :)

I thought I needed to use the VDFS tool to package Arto's textures and anims up as a mod file, but I was wrong about that. I didn't have to create a mod file at all, I just had to rename his files to the hero's names and stick them in the _WORK folder in my Gothic game folder.

You may also try to change the filename extension of your patch from ".mod" to ".vdf". I think that the only purpose of the ".mod" filename ending is to differentiate betwen VDF-files of various modifications on the one hand (which are being copied to and from MODVDFS subdirectory of DATA folder by GothicStarter), and the VDF-files of the original game and patches on the other hand (which stay all the time in the DATA folder itself of Gothic); and that Gothic normally uses only all files ending in ".vdf", but it uses the ones ending in ".mod" only when explicitly told so by a modification's ".ini" file in SYSTEM folder (and for that, you also need to use the GothicStarter).

Sorry to came late to this thread, but I hope it helps anyway. Regards, Ondo.

Back
Top Bottom