Age of Decadence - Screens @ Official Site

Yup, I too am excited by this. Been following its progress on 'Codex on and off for a while now.

Interesting premise and some very cool ideas about a reactive world. I'm looking forward to playing it someday and seeing how it all comes together!

Age of Decadence, eh? I have to admit, a little uninhibited self-indulgence does sound pretty good to me every once in a while. This game could be me.

I like what I'm seeing (and yes, that was for roqua's benefit!).

First, it's the TOEE mod to inspire us traditionalists. Second, it's the promising selection of genuine Rpg's from the Codex.....

Prelude To Darkness

Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome

Ashes: Two Worlds Collide

Scars of War

Age of Decadence

Oh, the glory of isometrics, and maybe some party based gameplay as well !

Well, my opinion is a bit different than most of yours : Since I've got such an old PC, I'm forced to play older games.
Thus, I can't run shiney, bright (or dark) eye candy most of you are used today. I haven't even tried Gothic 2.

So, I can concentrate much more on the gameplay than on the looks of the graphics - and this game looks quite fine for me. :) I've seen worse games, both in graphics and in gameplay (my standard in this is the Crusaders of Might & Magic game - which I simply couldn't stand at one point. Or later, the Outlaws of LucasArts, played only recently (last year, I think).

Other games are old, but of a timeless beauty. Like the Legends of Kyrandia series. Or Monkley Island I.

The older I become, the less important the overall look of both a person and a game becomes to me.

Okay, beauty is wonderful, but there are the "inner things" that are mostly important to me.

Monkey Island and Legends of Kyrandia is still beautiful..... no games has hand-drawn graphics these days!

You can justify a huge barrier to making great games without fancy graphics and bells and whistles popular, or you can help tear down that barrier and increase the viability of games we want being made. Maybe if we spent more of our time promoting the features of AoD and informing people of why they should give the game a chance despite it’s graphics, even when it had 2d graphics, we’d be playing it right now instead of having this argument.

The funny thing is, all the monitors/screens we look at are 2 dimensional.

Even the super duper 3D FPS Morrowind eye candy standard circa 2002 / Oblivion eye candy standard circa 2006 , has it's drawbacks. It is clunky and awkward to maneuver, peripheral vision is non-existent, inability to see one's surroundings is frequent, etc. The greatly heralded FPS 3D viewpoint is really just a cumbersome, drunken, wonky pseudo-3D on a 2D screen. They all assumed that it's 'better' than 2D iso. Why does a more restricted, zoomed in, tunnel vision viewpoint automatically get heralded as 'superior', especially in Pc-Rpg's (which are supposed to be different than FPS's), and *especially* in any Rpg's which are party-based ? Oh yeah... they demand a graphic card upgrade , I forgot !

No WONDER we don't see many party-based Rpg's anymore... they've eradicated the awesome, artistic and beautiful bird's eye view and have imposed the FPS Doom view on nearly every single new Pc-Rpg, giving us a solo Action-Rpg FPS experience ala the console.

Back
Top Bottom