RPGWatch Feature: Starpoint Gemini Interview

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We catch up with Little Green Men to discuss their upcoming "space RPG tactical sim", Starpoint Gemini, which is due for release in only a couple of weeks. Here's a snip from the conversation:

RPGWatch: One of things I enjoy most about the best "space-trading" games is the sense of a living universe. How important is this element for Starpoint Gemini and can you describe some of the things players will encounter that add life to the gameworld?

LGM: A living world is very, very important. No sense in making a free-roam game if you streamline and script everything and it all plays out the same way. The world has to live on its own, driven by AI. Traders dock on stations to trade, miners go deep into asteroid fields to search for ore, scientists roam the sector looking for anomalies to research, police squadrons go on patrols and deal with pirates, military fleets round up and attack enemy fleets... all of that and more goes on regardless of where the player is. The AI doesn't act only when you're nearby... they live their own lives. That was our basic setup and we continued building on top of that through scripted events to liven things up even more. Players will also notice that when you're playing through the main campaign Gemini will change depending on what happens in the storyline. When two factions go to war, they really go to war even outside the scripted missions. That's one of SPG's strong points.
Read it all here.
More information.

So just to get one questions straight? the entire game takes place on a ship right? no adventuring on planets with your characters or such a things?

This seems good from the interview. Hopefully the campaign will not be too short.

The game picked my interest when I saw it on Gamersgate. I love space games. I think I will buy it. Although, I just bought the X Superbox when it was on sell...and I still need to finish both DKS and Two Worlds 2.

Too many games to play.

This game has my interest.Been following news about it since it was first announced.

Honestly, not thrilled in the slightest with them going SecrROM on a DRM front according to their Gamersgate listing.

Still....rather likely I will get this from there at some point. Especially liking the free updates and invitation to modding stance.

I'll likely get this one, if they implement the active pause they said they would in this interview. if not, I'll likely pass.

Looks like arcade shooter instead of sim/rpg. I rather play i-war or continue my x-wing campaign. Hmm..perhaps I will continue it. Gotta find the wireless joystick.

Last edited:
id rather play eve than some boring solo space opera

I never cared for eve.The game is only about how much you steal now.It wasn't even user friendly when it first came out.

Wow, big interview, nice going!

"we plan to implement active pause"

I suggest moving to the execution phase - and you`ll get my (and Cpt.Huggy`s :) vote…

In fact can someone recommend similar game that is turn based - well, has turn based combat, is what I wanted to say :)

Space Rangers, yes, not bad , but it has this silly Asteroids type combat that seems to be a standard since Starflight...

Which is why I still have not played Buck Rogers...not until I find something similar :)

(Infinite Space on DS looks quite amusing too)

Back
Top Bottom