Board Game on K/S

Hastar

Unspeakable
My brother is doing a Kickstarter for a board game. It's a cross between chess and Risk. I played it over the holidays when he was in town. It was fun and we suggested some changes to make. Mostly, to make the game go faster.

He already has a company lined up to make the game but is trying to get some more funding to make a better quality board and army pieces. If you enjoy chess or Risk give it a look.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...strategy-game-of-high-fantasy?ref=hero_thanks

I think your brother should cancel the kickstarter; find the appropriate place to drum up support (I have no clue where board games drum up support) and then relaunch the kickstarter. I have no clue if people will like the game but I think the initial problem is that no one knows about it.

He is doing that at some board game sites. I don't play board games much anymore so I just told him I would post a link here because he knows RPGWatch is the only site I visit daily. He just launched last night so he is trying to get the word out now.

Like I said, he already has the initial funding, he just wanted to increase the quality.

Don't cancel kickstarter. Never ever - we need as much indie projects as possible due to watering down products from bigshot companies. Hopefully it's unique in some ways…

I hate Risk so I'll skippit, but will pass a note to friends who loved it.

I'll pass word on this to a few friends and I'll also message about it on a forum that I use with a bunch of mmo mates. Some of those folks still play games like Diplomacy, Axis and Allies, Risk, etc so I'm sure a few will be quite interested in something like this.

Thanks we use to play Axis and Allies and Shogun all the time when we were kids. Of course it is not from a professional company and is just a one man project from his love of board games.

When I was writing my board game someone suggested I write an app of it. Have you considered that?

As an exercise in my game design class they had us come up with with a game and write out the rules for it before looking to develop it. It was an exercise the Prof did a conference and it was a lot of fun.

He should try it in Germany. Board games are strong there, in general.

Agreed, most of the people and especially the adults I know that still enjoy board games are from Europe. It just doesn't seem to be as strong of a draw from what I've observed in North America these days, which is all kinds of just wrong.

Also it's already a bad impression of the audio on the ks video is only using the left channel...

I do a lot of board gaming and cruise KS regularly. He needs a better looking presentation. ie what the finished product is really going to look like. Expensive to do but that's what people will expect and it has the appearance of being more professional. KS is becoming much less speculative these days so you have to have something really good to show up front.

You could try promoting by creating it in Tabletop Simulator so people can play it.
Nemesis and Escape from the Pit did this recently with their kickstarters to good effect I believe. Alternately a print and play offering is another option as is having a downloadable copy of the rules for people to check out.

He could try to get on the Boardgame Geek weekly kickstarter email. There's also Dice Tower.

And via the KS grapevine… I've heard getting 3D mini's produced can be complex and expensive process.

Finally, be sure to check the local tax rules. The guy who created ADOM lost half of his KS money to tax when it finally came down to him getting the funds - he only found this out after he'd done a bunch of stretch goals based on thinking he was going to get the full amount pledged on KS.

Good luck!

Last edited:
The KS board game theater is highly competitive. Many products by seasoned professionals with a KS record.

Back
Top Bottom