Mass Effect 3 and DLC

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
I'm about to start playing Mass Effect 3.

To be honest, I'm not really excited about it since I wasn't exactly blown away by ME2. There are other games I'd rather play right now, but I'm afraid that if I wait much longer I'll start to forget some of the details of the story from ME 1&2, and I want some closure.

Anyways, I was wondering which of the single-player DLC packs are considered a must-play. I'm not interested in any of the item packs, so I'm only looking at - From Ashes, Leviathan, Citadel, and Omega.

Are all of them worth playing? Ironically, I only paid $12 for ME3, but it will apparently cost me $50 total for those 4 DLC. Is purchasing them with "Bioware points" at the Origin store the only way to obtain them?

Oh, and another question. I still have my installs from ME 1&2 on the same computer that I just installed ME 3 on. Will ME3 automatically detect and import my save games or is there something I need to do?

You may buy Bioware points elsewhere (for example on go2arena), but you'll still be forced to use Origin. Prices are about the same everywehere. Also, I've posted a few times that Bioware points are never on sale. Because of that, we all plain adore EA. If they were into woodcutting, they'd charge thousands for an axe even today.

I have only From Ashes, DLC that started a scandal. It's files were initially in the game but was sold as access to it so ppl said it's just the content cut out just to fraud the audience and milk more cash from silly consumers who'd pay for anything. I won't say it's a must have DLC, but some things become clearer with it and definetly has a vibe it's not just a side story but an integral part of the game trilogy. It's worth playing.

I don't plan to buy other DLC. What's enough is enough. Those DLC of theirs are not FO:NV days of fun DLC, but an hour or two of questionable quality and ripoff price.

One of the few games I absolutely demanded a refund for. No game offended me so much since DA 2 than Mass Effect 3 did. I'd avoid it like herpes, playing solitaire would be infinitely more enjoyable. Twenty minutes of my life that I'll never get back....in fact, I think I spent more time arguing for my refund than I did playing the thing.

Carn, you sure you won't edit that post a bit? See... Once you've installed Origin...

EA knows where you live. :evilgrin:

F Origin, and F Ea as well. Please please come seek me out, the both of ya, invade my castle and get a close, personal look at a fine Italian shotgun. I'll rid the world of two useless humps, no extra charge!!! =)

It's probably the right time to play it.

By now, you must have heard enough of the heavy criticism to last a lifetime. That usually creates such low expectations that you can't help but be positively surprised :)

Haha. Be sure to check out the multiplayer (it's coop style) before the community dies out. It's much more challenging and a ton of fun!

BTW, all the multiplayer DLC are free downloads. :)

I got Citadel free when my multiplayer player account bugged out on the Bioware servers. Have yet to play Citadel, but played all the other singleplayer DLC. All were memorable, for what it's worth.

Last edited:
I liked Mass Effect 3 a lot, despite its flaws and the much discussed ending.

I think the Leviathan DLC is must-play if you are interested in the plot about the reapers.
The Citadel DLC ist a must-play if you are interested in interacting with your crew members on a more casual level.
The others aren't that important imho.

Before you do anything download extended cut DLC. Improves the ending. Its free so go and grab it. Nuff said.

Basicly 3:

1) From the ashes:

This dlc includes a new squad member and a new weapon. Its same kind of dlc as Stone prisoner in DA. It has tons of story content throughout the game. And you learn quite a lot about protheans when interacting with him.

2) Citadel DLC

This dlc is must if you're a long time mass effect player and enjoy interacting with squad members. Lots of funny scenes, inside jokes, nods to previous games etc,. It has a new side mission too. Citadel dlc also expands citadel by adding a whole new areas to the citadel hub and it adds a combat simulator. Its not essential in same sense as from the ashes or leviathan, but you'll miss quite a lot if you don't have it.

3) Leviathan DLC

This DLC tells you something about reapers orgin. I personally liked it quite a lot.. I don't know if it blows your mind or anything but it has fun gameplay and the ending was actually quite cool and reminded me of a famous scifi film which name i won't say here because it would be spoiling. Definitely worth of playing.

I got myself digital deluxe edition which included from the ashes dlc and n7 arsenal pack. Then i grabbed leviathan and citadel packs.

I haven't played Omega DLC, but i've heard that it is mostly combat and offers very little story content. so i skipped it.

Last edited:
I liked Mass Effect 3 a lot, despite its flaws and the much discussed ending….

I still haven't understand well all the negativity about ME3. I enjoyed a lot the ending including how unclear it was letting some points. At least an ending with some subtle elements… Then I started read all the whining and I'm pretty sure they spoiled a bit my fun and good remembering of the game.

With some distance I see the whining about three same ending but a color, something just very kiddish. It's a comment that put more importance in some pictures than in words. It was a so totally kiddish and focusing on points that are significant but not that important.

Otherwise ME3 definitely improve some points and the fights are better and the design of obstacles to cover was hugely improved and quite natural when it was a bit weird in ME2. For sure the strange ME2 hub design around companions was something very special and ME3 didn't even attempt reproduce it. But I think it's for me the only plus of ME2, a lot more companions and a game very centered on companions. Otherwise for me everything is better in ME3 but overall I'd probably put ME2 above. For ME1… never enjoyed it, and 4/5 attempts didn't solved the problem.

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll probably end up getting all four of the DLCs even though I loathe the idea of paying that much for DLC that's more than a year old.

From Ashes and Leviathan seem like must plays for me. I enjoy extra content that sheds more light on the backstory and expands on the lore of the setting.

Citadel and Omega, while not quite as enticing to me, sound like they offer enough gameplay to make them worthwhile.

I'll be skipping on any multiplayer action despite the positive comments. I just don't have the time for it. I can still get the best ending without doing any multiplayer, right? I seem to remember there being some controversy about that.

Gameplay is good for both single and multiplayer so even if you don't like writing you still might enjoy game.Also there is no best ending all are equal crap.

I'll be skipping on any multiplayer action despite the positive comments. I just don't have the time for it. I can still get the best ending without doing any multiplayer, right? I seem to remember there being some controversy about that.
I had my favourite ending wihout doing any multiplayer at all.
If the ending is very important to you, you might consider looking up about what you need to achieve to be able to get a certain ending. Here you can see a guide with hardly any spoilers.

there is no best ending all are equal crap.
Equal, yes, but crap, no.
I've written elsewhere, they wanted to create something I've seen for the first time in Evangelion (old anime series) but they failed as it's uncompatible with the overall game style/design. In movies such quasireligious and metaphysical stuff was added to Matrix sequel, again was not compatible with the rest of the movie(s) and again was a fail.

In Evangelion the design worked because with each episode you were "trained" to expect it and by some it's a masterpiece. Me… I don't live in a town full of strangers and in some paranoic neighborhood, so that stuff couldn't amaze me much. I'd say today it was okayish.

I believe Bioware had good intentions and wanted to create something unexpected that will amaze the audience, but because of the game design the audience simply didn't want a closure in that style. Me included. Never seen so called alternate ending that came out later, but if it wasn't rewritten completely with kicking "the kid" and his philosophy out of the picture, it doesn't matter.

And I didn't play ME3 multiplayer nor will. IIRC EA CEO said everything they publish will have MP, well he can sell that MP to his mother, just not to me.

Never seen so called alternate ending that came out later, but if it wasn't rewritten completely with kicking "the kid" and his philosophy out of the picture, it doesn't matter.

There is no alternative ending just, end game movies for each ending just last lot longer and clarify bit more.My problem with ending is that it's too sudden and has no connection to rest of story.Leviathan DLC is try to make ending less sudden and have more sense.But my biggest problem with ME 3 isn't end, ME 1 had some of best bioware writing and one of best game/series/movie in last decade and ME 3 has almost action movie quality writing.

The ending to everything sucks. The rest of ME was so good that it didn't really bother me much.

JDR, you don't have to multiplay to get all the galaxy resources for the "best" endings. Just hunt down and explore every planet in every system and do all side quests. Stuff you are probably going to do anyway.

That's like saying Scarlett Johansson is not bad looking ;)

So, yeah, you "assume" correctly - good guess!

But fair enough, you didn't really mind it - and I certainly did.

Good part is that it's only there when you don't have armor on, IIRC.

Bad part is that it's the least of its problems ;)

Back
Top Bottom