Drakensang:RoT A few questions before starting

KasperFauerby

Sentinel
Hi,

I've tried playing this game once before, many years ago, but lost interest along the way. I think I stopped playing halfway through a very long dungeon full of trash monsters, looking for some magic seals or something…

I think I had also made some mistakes along the way, despite having played and completed the first game in the series (so I know the basics about wounds/willpower, how skill checks work etc).
Specifically I seem to remember being desperately low on cash (so I couldn't afford healing potions) and certain spells were unavailable to me, like the fireball(?)

I always wanted to get back to the game though, and I know there are some TDE experts on these forums, so a couple of questions:

1) Player character class: I think I want to play a fighter, but I also want to make sure I have access to all important spells. Was there something about the available mage followers being limited in their spells? For example the fireball spell?

2) Money: last time I think I might have bought too much equipment from vendors early on, leaving me with too little money for potions and other resources. I guess I assumed money wouldn't be a problem in the long run, like in most rpgs - but it turned out to be pretty hard to make money :) Did I miss something there? Any good ways of making money?

3) Mods: Is it recommended to install the "Ergo's Fix Pack" mod for a "first" play? And does anyone have a working link to it?

1. Forget playing a fighter with fireball - that ain't possible. You can however play a mage who is very efficient with a weapon of your choice (I had a mage who was an expert with swords). Fireball is not all important spell. All important spells are antipoison (claurum purum), healing, calm body/spirit, thunderbolt and any creature summon.

2. Don't buy just everything. Buy pots for health, mana and stamina. Other stuff to buy are just those that are practically OP (a hammer that knocks down opponents, full armor +8 on everything). Apart from looting, pickpocket, selling junk and quests the only good moneyearner is going to Hunter reserve (subquest and completely new area) and getting a Stag Beetle Dagger recipe from Master of the Hunt. Those beetles are not hard to kill, respawn endlessly on a few spots and you just craft that dagger and sell hundreds of it for a nice sum.

3. Yes, install it. It fixes a few things, enables some more and improves your walking/running speed a bit. I've uploaded it on box.com:
https://app.box.com/s/70aqrnqew15hbzr0h7g8

Thanks, much appreciated!

I didn't mean to play a fighter with a fireball spell - what I meant was, that if I play a fighter, then I would obviously have to pick one of the "companion" mages for spells. I just thought I remembered that this might limit what spells I had access to. Something about not all mage classes/sub-classes being able to use fireball (for example). But I could be totally wrong, it was a long time ago I played it last. But as you say, maybe that particular spell isn't that important...

Thanks for the tip on the crafting trick! And for uploading the fix pack :)

Pick any class.
You'll soon party up with two NPCs, a male mage and a female scoundrel (IIRC). Both can cast spells, you will just have to choose which one to save (the other one will die). It doesn't matter which one you'll save nor has an impact on the story (there is also no romance).
Unlike the first game, in TRoT any race can learn Summon Djinn spell, as long as it's a class able to cast spells. To get that spell, you need to beat a certain boss monster. But till then, your spellcaster will be able either to summon elemental or an animal. Trust me, that additional party "member" is needed.

Fireball has a way too long cast time and it's good for battle initiating, but after that you'll want some quick damagedealing, that's where thunderbolt shines.

Cash is always low in that game. This is an TDE game, an european game, where there is only very little cash at all. You need to get that by learning how to craft stuff and then sell it, for example.
For example if you collect broken arrows, then you can learn to get the arrow-heads from them, and you can sell that or keep it for making your own arrows.
Collecting herbs and selling them helps, too.

Back
Top Bottom