Risen 2 - Air Temple DLC Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Nikus points out the Air Temple DLC for Risen 2 is now available on Steam for $9.99 - here's the blurb:
Gargoyles have infested the world of Risen 2: Dark Waters. Explore the mysterious Air Temple to uncover the mystery that surrounds it as you embark on an extensive new quest. Explore and discover an additional island with new characters, quests and enemies with up to 8 hours of additional playtime.
More information.

Caveat emptor - Rip-off alert code red ;)

Seriously, I'm not one of those anti-DLC crusaders. I like and embrace DLC if the price is right and if it offers a decent amount of content or just some nice to have stuff for a couple $$$. Yes, I was even fine with the infamous horse armor DLC since it was dirt cheap for a bit of silly extra stuff. Never understood the big boohoo about it.

Anyway… unfortunately, the Air Temple DLC is way overpriced at US$ 9.99 and to add insult to injury the product description is full of blatant lies.
In "About the Game" they say "... up to 8 hours of additional playtime."
That's complete and utter bullshit. I'm a slow and very thorough player and the Storm Island took about an hour max. I don't want to spoil anything but when they say "... Explore the mysterious Air Temple to uncover the mystery that surrounds it as you embark on an extensive new quest..." then that's another blatant lie as well because there is zero mystery involved and most definitely nothing "extensive".

This is completely ridiculous. This should either be a free DLC or somewhere in the US$ 2.99 to US$ 4.99 (max) range.

Thanks for the warning. I really liked Risen 2, but I won't be buying this until it's $5 or less.

I bought it yesterday, before the warning… Oh well, at least I have the full game now.

Last edited:
i'm still waiting for another patch/dlc till I take a look

Ofc, it's 9,99 euro on the wrong side of the pond. Good luck selling it. I honestly have no idea what PB were thinking when jumping on the customer milking bandwagon. Big studios can afford it, enough people will buy anything they release anyway, but I don't see it working well here, with much smaller playerbase.

I'm a player who adores Risen 2 and I won't be buying this DLC. Yet. Too expensive for a short playtime. Unless DLC got reworked from the initial game release and really does add "extensive... 8 hours"?

In "About the Game" they say "… up to 8 hours of additional playtime."

And Treasure Isle was meant to be "at least 5 hours". How are they coming to these estimates? I've seen overestimates from publishers about the length of DLC before (by about an hour at most), but never so much that they lie about it being several times longer than it really is.

Ofc, it's 9,99 euro on the wrong side of the pond. Good luck selling it. I honestly have no idea what PB were thinking when jumping on the customer milking bandwagon. Big studios can afford it, enough people will buy anything they release anyway, but I don't see it working well here, with much smaller playerbase.

I doubt it was Piranha Bytes' idea, this kind of decision is usually taken on the publisher's side.

I doubt it was Piranha Bytes' idea, this kind of decision is usually taken on the publisher's side.

Oh right, possibly. Still, it a bad idea - until the publisher wants to drop PB altogether and just squeeze as much money before end as they can.

I wish the hammer would come down on these big publishers.They do whatever they feel to the consumer and developer. I honestly beleive that when the next console generation is released , we are gonna see the worst of gaming . Big publishers have backed themselves into a corner with HUGE budgets.

Well, theres also people who want more stuff though. I personally don't know what to make of DLC, it's kind of confusing. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but at the same time I can't help but think that they are holding things back intentionally with the plan of bilking us.

Still, a lot of times I just end up buying the shit. I live, therefore I consume.

Total rip off. This DLC is about an hour in length. Claiming it is 8 hours is an outright lie. There is NO way to make it take that long other than going afk for hours.

Wow, only an hour? That is a total ripoff.

The DLC that I am a sucker for is the stuff that actually brings new enhancements. Like the infamous horse armor, or a new companion, or a new hangout high up in the mountains or something. I'm not so much for add-on style adventures, they're usually a mixed bag and not worth it.

That said, I do dislike the tendency for companies to release super powered equipment, like some huge sword that does more damage than anything you would get in the normal game for that level. It's supposed to be a favor, but ends up actually ruining the game because it's like a cheat!

That said, I do dislike the tendency for companies to release super powered equipment, like some huge sword that does more damage than anything you would get in the normal game for that level. It's supposed to be a favor, but ends up actually ruining the game because it's like a cheat!

What I dislike even more is that such items usually just appear in your inventory without explanation as soon as you install the DLC. It's like developers are too lazy to add them to the game world and make you find them.

What I dislike even more is that such items usually just appear in your inventory without explanation as soon as you install the DLC. It's like developers are too lazy to add them to the game world and make you find them.
Totally agree with you and xSamhainx, I wouldn't mind if DLC vanished from the face of the earth… but if they are here to stay - at least that trend must die, painfully.

10 Euros is such a ripoff. And it's weird that publishers use Steam for region locking, but never for regional pricing: 10 Euros is a great deal more for Polish people than e.g. for Germans... I seriously doubt any Poles will be buying this at this price.

Well, one hour is better than what you get from EA-related DLC (though false marketing is a very good way to lose your customers, and PB must surely now have lost the goodwill most of their fans had towards them - I know they've lost mine)...

My girlfriend is into Kingdoms of Amalur, and has bought the DLC packs. Only problem is that she can't connect to the EA servers in-game, so she's never been able to access the content (even though it's installed via Origin). I've tried to google the problem, which seems very common, but I've yet to find a solution.

With bugged always-online-crap I can see why Studio 38 failed, and they very much deserved their fate.

With bugged always-online-crap I can see why Studio 38 failed, and they very much deserved their fate.

I don't know, they did a lot of thins wrong but in the end it was the devs that got axed for mistakes done at higher level. As usual, management craps and it's the workers have to deal with the shit. It's always sad to see mass lay-offs, even if the company wasn't that great.

Back
Top Bottom