Setting for an Obsidian crowd-founded game?

What setting should Obsidian use for an original crowd-funded RPG?

• Fantasy

Votes: 34 19.3%
  • Historical

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • Modern

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Steampunk

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Sci-fi

Votes: 23 13.1%
  • Post-apoc

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Technofantasy

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Western

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Horror

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters
My opinion:

I don't care about the setting as long as the game is part of an IP Obsidian owns and can keep*. Just make an RPG inspired by the classics and create it in an environment in which you don't have to ask anybody for permission - especially not some marketing suits.

* This rules out sequels to games they were involved in before, unless they can aquire the IP from its owner or at least get a long term license for many years.

I picked Fantasy because a game always feels like it's lacking something without a magic system to me. I do like the Victorian Sci-Fi idea though.

Voted before I read (voted Sci-fi)
But a victorian sci-fi!
Jungles of venus and dying kingdoms of mars.

O boy!

C
Right on yeah!

Thinking of Martian Dreams and Space 1889...

Victorian Sci-Fi could even have some fantasy and magic as it involves exploring other planets. The natives of those planets could be at a medieval tech level and / or have magic use of a sort. And as Arthur C Clarke famously said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Anything is possible in this setting and it could be expanded pretty much infinitely. The more I think of it I really want someone to make a game like this!

How in the world is fantasy catching up... you'd think with 95% of RPG's being fantasy-based, people would get their fill!

Well then, they'll just have to make it Steampunk Fantasy so they can please both sides.

Went with Technofantasy as it certainly isn't all that common period, let alone wrangled in such a way as to have lasting power.

Didn't actualy played it but saw somewhere this title called,does description defines what you had in mind?

There aren't many cyberpunk rpgs on the market..so if obsidian decided to make one, i'd be thrilled :) And its bizarre that fantasy theme is so pupular…i mean every second rpg released has a fantasy setting of some sort.

Considering that Tim Schaefer's Doublefine was able to raise 1.6 million in under two days (with 28 days of fund-raising left to go) I think this could actually be a real possibility.

I would love to see a Lovecraft-inspired horror game, perhaps set in early 20th century New England or 19th century London.

I went steampunk. Thinking Arcanum here. Liked the interplay between magic and technology. Dug my dwarf crashing on a dirigible, only to dust off his Victorian suit to begin a long career of crafting gadgets. Nice crafting system. Pistols in plate mail. If anyone remakes Arcanum, let me control my companions, please. A full party would also be nice.

Like the idea of Jules Verne-style sci fi, which is a bit steampunky in its own right. Also like Lovecraft horror. Waiting for that iPhone turn-based tactical game to be ported to the Android.

Sci-fi. I believe it is vastly under utilised as a crpg genre. I can only think of a handful of true sci-fi crpgs. Turn based with tactical combat.

I can't answer this poll. I would want a combination of two or more. For examle, horror sci-fi (like Event Horizon), horror western (I guess we have the Red Dead Redemption expansion for that), historically-inspired fantasy with post-apocalyptic and steampunk elements. Just combining two or more of the listed settings gives me tons of ideas for interesting worlds to develop.

I'm also reminded of The Longest Journey where two parallel worlds, one modern and technical and one magical, collide.

I'd prefer a sci-fi setting akin to the Alien universe.

If not that, then a Shadowrun type setting.

I voted for Steampunk - but ideally it would be a hybrid. Steampunk + Fantasy (like Arcanum) or Steampunk + Lovecraftian Horror would be great.

Also a Steampunk + Weird West (like the tabletop Deadlands RPG) combo would be very interesting.

I'd also love to see a Jules Verne Victorian sci-fi type of setting - which of course would have steampunk elements as well.

If they did pure fantasy I would hope for it to not be Tolkienesque / dwarves and elves style as this is so done to death by now. We don't need another traditional fantasy IP.

You described perfectly what I would like Myrkrel. Jules Verne yeah, now that would be the ticket.

I voted Historical as soon as I saw it, and Bedwyr made me proud that I'd done so. There's such a treasure trove of stories stranger than fiction, waiting to be plundered. Maybe in the bargain, some people would actually get interested in reality again, too. Anything but fantasy sounds ok, tbh. It's not that I hate magic -in a new setting or paradigm, it can still be interesting - but man, anything but "fantasy". None of that crap is even fantastical anymore.

I'd love a fantasy aztec setting. Or actually pretty much anything on the list if CA's getting to go nuts with it in old school style.

Back
Top Bottom