Mass Effect - Movie Deal Signed

Dhruin

SasqWatch
BioWare has announced a Mass Effect movie deal with Legendary Pictures. From Chris Priestly on the official forums:
I am very pleased this morning to announce that there will be a Mass Effect movie made by the fine folks at Legenday Pictures! I know there has been a lot of speculation amongst our fans ever since Mass Effect 1 came out as to whether or not there would be a movie, who should star in it, who would direct, would there be a Wrex sized bucket of popcorn, etc and I can now reveal that, yes, there will be a movie (popcorn deal is still unconfirmed.

Legendary Pictures, the studio behind great films such as The Dark Knight, Watchmen, The Hangover and 300 have picked up the rights to make Mass Effect. Legendary Pictures will produce with Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni along with Avi Arad (who has been behind great films like Iron Man, X-Men and Spider-Man). From BioWare Ray Muzyka, Greg Zeschuck and Casey Hudson will serve as executive producers.

"At BioWare, we’ve always thought of Mass Effect as having the depth, emotion and plot twists perfectly suited for an adaptation to a motion picture,” said Casey Hudson, executive producer of the Mass Effect series. “With Avi Arad and Legendary attached, we believe that the Mass Effect movie will be an extraordinary entertainment event that realizes our vision for the franchise and thrills fans.”

I am super psyched for this and look forward to seeing the Mass Effect movie take shape.
Thanks to Omega for a similar submission.
More information.

And directed by Uwe Boll. Ok made that last part up.

While I respect 300, Watchmen, Batman Begins, ... I just dont see Mass Effect being a good movie adaptation myself. Also my Shepard was female what are the chances that we will see a female lead?

It will suck.

Unlike all the other game to movie adaptations.

Well a few of them have been fun, in a B-movie kind of way.

Same studio that's doing the Warcraft movie. Will be interesting, but I honestly doubt it'll be amazing.

Good that they've finally understood what they should have been doing from the very begining instead of their ultra linear RPG's...

It was already a movie - but I guess removing the last bits of interaction might make a difference ;)

Sounds good.
I´ve already heard that additional footage is in works as well, plus the upcoming discussions whether it is a PG movie or not will be no doubt very interesting.

BioWare always pitched Mass Effect as 'Cinematic RPG experience'. It will be interesting to see how it gets translated onto the big screen. I can imagine the dazzling display of Biotic powers (and inevitable comparison with Force) along with grand representation of Citadel complete with walking Turians, Asari and the like.. very exciting indeed!

It seems unlikely they will use Commander Shepard storyline from games tho, as everyone is already familiar how that plays out (with slight variations). It might feature a different adventure of Shepard or use a different protagonist altogether. Considering the theoretically huge scope of ME universe, the possibilities are numerous for sure...

It might turn out to be decent, but nothing within Mass Effect provides material for a great science fiction movie. If they focus on the role of humanity in the universe, they might get some interesting plot elements out of this. I hope they stick to the retro-ness of the first part when it comes to music and costumes, and perhaps even add some grainy filter?

Why is linear always a bad thing?

If linear is what i'm after then i read a book or see a movie, its a much, much better experience than a linear game with b-story and b-characters. Hell, movies even have real people playing the characters and often has real-world images, its incredible! ;) many books are even written by authors who actually can write and not some big headed game dev who happens to think he can write..

Yeah, I kinda agree with bemushroomed. Not that linear CRPGs can't be good, they just tend to give me a poor experience, because I feel controlled and I feel everything is out of my hands.

I don't like that, and I especially don't like that when I'm trying to roleplay a character in some way, because it removes a large part of what I - personally - consider roleplaying to be about. That's about exploring my character and ways to approach things, and I like to be able to do that without a developer's visible hand pointing me towards every step of the way.

Beyond that, dialogue trees in linear games are usually about picking between 2-3 responses that are all predefined according to the developer's idea of how I would want to respond.

Some developers are better at that, like Troika - and some are HORRIBLE at it, like Bioware. That has more to do with my idea of possible ways to react, and it obviously conflicts heavily with Bioware's ideas.

If linear is what i'm after then i read a book or see a movie, its a much, much better experience than a linear game with b-story and b-characters. Hell, movies even have real people playing the characters and often has real-world images, its incredible! ;) many books are even written by authors who actually can write and not some big headed game dev who happens to think he can write..

I find that argument very strange. It's like saying that non-linear games *don't* have b-stories with b-characters written by big-headed devs. Or that linear games don't have any gameplay. It's perfectly fine if you prefer non-linear games, but that certainly doesn't mean they are intrinsically better in some way. Linear games are not only played for the story just as much as non-linear games are not just played for the story. Otherwise your argument would still put non-linear games in the dust compared to movies or books.

I, personally, like getting into a good story in a game better than a movie sometimes, because of the better connection I get with the plot and characters. It's more like reading a book than watching a movie, but not the same. There is some argument to be made that non-linear games have more in common with role-playing, but that, too, is an endless discussion. "What is role-playing?" is heard too much on any game forum.

There is more to even a linear game than just story.

I find that argument very strange. It's like saying that non-linear games *don't* have b-stories with b-characters written by big-headed devs. Or that linear games don't have any gameplay. It's perfectly fine if you prefer non-linear games, but that certainly doesn't mean they are intrinsically better in some way. Linear games are not only played for the story just as much as non-linear games are not just played for the story. Otherwise your argument would still put non-linear games in the dust compared to movies or books.

I, personally, like getting into a good story in a game better than a movie sometimes, because of the better connection I get with the plot and characters. It's more like reading a book than watching a movie, but not the same. There is some argument to be made that non-linear games have more in common with role-playing, but that, too, is an endless discussion. "What is role-playing?" is heard too much on any game forum.

There is more to even a linear game than just story.

I could be wrong, but I think this is about personal preference, and not us claiming they're objectively worse :)

Non-linear games tend to have even WORSE stories than linear games - so to me, that's not why I play them.

I need some kind of story to motivate me, though, but it doesn't really need to be great.

The reason I personally prefer non-linear games, is because I like the "game" aspects - and not the traditionally movie/book aspects of games.

I like the interaction with the world, and the freedom of exploration - and I adore the sensation that I exist in a beautiful immersive world, where I feel unrestricted by linear paths and hand-holding.

I despise knowing that games end once I get to the end of the very set path, because it takes me out of the experience. It makes me very aware of the limitations, and I find it much harder to motivate myself to "do well" or explore, because I know it will all end pretty soon, and I can't really influence WHEN it will end. So, the "virtual life" aspect of the game is almost entirely removed - and it happens to be one aspect I absolutely adore.

MMOs should be ideal then? No, because they're all about artificially extending content - and you can never really achieve anything without endlessly grinding boring crap. Stories are never dynamic and they never feel like I'm the one doing stuff.

The ideal would be an EVE-like fantasy CRPG - where the gameplay is actually fun, and not a huge business spreadsheet with a pretty backdrop.

Who said that the movie has to be about only those things we played in the game? If it will contain a completely new story and if it's about some new characters within the Mass Effect universe, it could turn out pretty good.
Besides, who could say that any Asari as a lead role would suck?

Back
Top Bottom