InXile Entertainment - Maybe Working on Steampunk RPG

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Wccftech reports that inXile may be developing an AAA RPG in the vein of Arcanum with ex-Troika Jason Anderson and Chad Moore. This should be treated as rumour for now.

A keen-eyed ResetEra user may have uncovered the game's setting way ahead of any official announcement, though, by spotting a few Pinterest Boards that are managed by inXile developers Jason Anderson and Chad Moore. These Pinterest boards contain hundreds of steampunk-themed weapons, gadgets, fashion, and other Victorian-era inspired imagery.

A coincidence seems unlikely, especially since both Jason Anderson and Chad Moore have worked on what can be arguably described as the prime example of a steampunk videogame RPG: Troika's Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Released back in 2001, the game enjoyed strong sales and critical reception, though the studio itself was eventually forced to close after the releases of The Temple of Elemental Evil in 2003 and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines in 2004.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Gentlemen-you-had-my-curiosity%E2%80%A6-but-now-you-have-my-attention.jpg

Fargo already admitted they are working on two new RPGs already.

InXile Working on Two New RPGs - wccftech
inXile boss Brian Fargo sent out a couple of interesting tweets a few hours ago. Firstly, replying to a fan, he said that inXile Entertainment is working on wonderful new roleplaying games, though he also noted that these titles take a long time to make.

As a follow up shortly after that, he clarified that the second unannounced RPG is still very much 'in the infancy of pre-production', which suggests it'll be several years before we actually get to play it.

inXile, purchased by Microsoft at the same time of Obsidian Entertainment a couple of years ago, is already known to be working on a big next-generation RPG which Fargo himself confirmed will be developed using Epic's impressive Unreal Engine 5. This should be further along than the second RPG project Fargo mentioned in that last tweet.

Beyond these two unannounced projects, inXile is also working on a Virtual Reality PvPvE multiplayer shooter game called Frostpoint, due to launch soon on Steam. Of course, the team will release DLC for Wasteland 3 as well, especially after the highly successful launch of the game last month.
Old news I shared last month.:)

Well as written in the link the second unannounced game is 'in the infancy of pre-production'. Basically no details yet and it might be this rumored Steampunk RPG.

Very interested in the possibility. I've always considered Arcanum very overrated in certain circles but I love the setting and a lot of things about it. I would very much love to see this genre revisited.

If it does turn out to be a sequel to Arcanum, I hope they manage to do a better job than what Hardsuit Labs is doing with Bloodlines 2.

Yea, not a fan of steampunk either. Is fantasy really that boring now? I don't think so. To me, fantasy genre is near inexhaustable in ideas as well as appeal.

Cool. The steampunk universe is poorly explored by CRPGs, so nice to see a new project in that genre by an esteamed gaming company.

I never understood Steampunk (and honestly I never tried to). So they do have cool machines that look like from the industrial era. And lorewise they just work mechanically? Or is magic involved?

I never understood Steampunk (and honestly I never tried to). So they do have cool machines that look like from the industrial era. And lorewise they just work mechanically? Or is magic involved?

Basically everything runs on steam power rather than transistors and the setting is generally either Wild West or Victorian London. The tech has a very distinctive look so things like steam pipes, pulleys and copper fittings. In can incorporate other settings like Arcanum did by including fantasy races and magic.

It would be similar to this game that flopped on the PS3 called Damnation.

Didn't steampunk evolve from Mad Max?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom