KotOR - Remake with Unreal 4 Engine

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Fans try to recreate KotOR with the Unreal 4 engine:

Knights Of The Old Republic Gets Fan Treatment, Unreal Engine 4-powered Remake Under Development

KOTOR fans, get ready for a treat. Poem Studios is currently working on a fan remake/reboot of Knights of the Old Republic in Unreal Engine 4. According to the team, this game will be 100% free, will be called Apeiron, and is described as a remake and remastering of the original game with added content, new worlds, missions, HUD, inventory, items, and compainions.

[...]
Thanks Couch!

More information.

I feel a great disturbance in the forums... as if a crowd of eager modders cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced by a C&D letter.

But surely, saying it will be free will work this time. I mean, it's got to work eventually, right?

Nothing about Disney approving outside of if they don't sell it they are allowed to do this. hmmm. Yes, C&D incoming.

I find your lack of faith disturbing fellow members.
smiley-sw014.gif

Still Disney owns Star Wars and the vindictive mouse will definitely send a C&D letter.

So many wasted modding hours... Its been always like this. There is clearly a demand for a new single player Kotor / jedi knight type game, but nobody is allowed to make such game.

So many wasted modding hours… Its been always like this. There is clearly a demand for a new single player Kotor / jedi knight type game, but nobody is allowed to make such game.
Rumors on the Internet are that EA is working on a sand-box open world Star Wars game. So if anyone wants to play more Kotor were stuck with the F2P version.

I'm working on Kotor II on the same engine, guys. I'll send you regular updates. ;)

I am too overloaded with Star Wars advertising to enjoy Star Wars anymore. Money making juggernaut of horror.

Yeah I read that Visceral Games is making some sort of game. I wonder how much fun it is to work with Disney on this IP. How much oversight is involved.

Sorry but I believe this is yet another fan revival vaporware.

This seems like it could be good. I am looking forward to it, if it isn't C&D.

Now while the team claimed that it is allowed to make the game if they release it for free, we are pretty sure that Disney will send them a C&D letter if they feel like it.
Disney? It's an EA property so they will be the ones sending it. Now if they were to make the game in such a way that it required the original binaries then they could very likely work something out. (But can a team that doesn't know the basic legal facts actually pull this sort of thing off?)

It's not that the mouse is evil persé. They just need to act on copyright issues... It's a company you know, they need to make money (regardless how we feel about it).

Disney got our plutocratic government to change the duration of the copyright law in order to preserve his grand mousiness. A group of modders will be just so much mulch ground beneath their paws.

Back
Top Bottom