RPGWatch Updates, Bug reports and Feature requests

Hes probably getting the same blocked connection that Firefox, Dolphin, Opera, and older versions of IE are getting. It won't always show why its being blocked.
cffc8c

http://prnt.sc/cffc8c

Its ok to click, its just a print screen of the error.

Tried with cache, with different browser and differents pc and tablet with the same result.
I have inspected a bit the page and found a link to the css is in another domain:
http://mmo.rpgwatch.com/Skins/Default/Styles/colors-darkgold.css
http://mmo.rpgwatch.com/Skins/Default/Styles/colors-lightgold.css
Domain that is not resolved by my dns. Maybe this is the problem.
Indeed. Thanks for the hint. Should be fixed now for the other site styles (can be switched at the very bottom of the page, left side.)

News on the front page can now also be filtered by game genre.

Great work!

The site seems to be back in good shape. Have you had any thoughts about a more robust backup strategy?

The script running the daily backups is running again on a daily basis (it should have run on the other server as well, but whatever). It will create a separate backup on every day of the week. After a week, it will override the backup of the previous week. The script however did not handle Innodb tables correctly, which is why some of the information was gone, like the Thumbs up info and the news filtering. This I have corrected.
Backups are sent to a separate backup server, that can only be reached from within the server domain (so basically any server from the hosting company that has the credentials). This is a safety precaution.
Besides that, a second script is running on a daily basis for the configuration files of the server. The only thing that is lost there when we lose that, is time, as it requires configuring the server again from the start and that takes some time.

The backups are also stored on the hard drive of the server. The server has two drives, which are placed in Raid 1.
I transfer these backups on a more regular basis than before to my PC, on which I have the same environment running locally as on the server (with the exception of Linux). I can run RPGWatch locally and also use that backup of the database, articles and images for development purposes.
One thing I want to add to this strategy is that the backups are no longer transferred manually from the server to my PC, but that this is automated. Haven't gotten around to that yet.

One thing happening with the script though is that when copying the tables, it needs to lock them first, which means you might end up getting a time-out when viewing RPGWatch, if you happen to access the site when the backup is running (at 07:35 CET).

Thanks for letting us know.
I've checked it and it requires to be vulnerable to SQL injection for this to start working. Just in case we are, I added a workaround to prevent this exploit to be used, as Oracle has not published an update for MySQL yet.

Well….. That was fun :-/

Getting the site off-line and back online again.

Getting the site off-line and back online again.

Then you are the culprit for disconnecting the network cable this time, eh? :D

Yes, this time I was.

Hello 'Watch management

This isn't so much a feature request, more just an idea for a feature project for someone so inclined and to possibly gauge the level of interest in it.

One of the features I came to really enjoy at the last forum I was a member of (Ironworks - http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php) was its little mini-arcade where forum posters could let off some steam between posts/regular gaming and play a few embedded flash versions of arcade games. You'd have some friendly competition via the saving of high scores for each game and the ability to save a comment to your score for posterity.

I'm not sure to be honest how difficult this would be to implement for our purposes, (it could be too much work to really consider seriously at the moment) but I reckon a 'Watch-arcade' would be great fun. :) Anyway, just thought I'd throw the idea out there. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom