Skyrim - Special Edition Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Special Edition of Skyrim has been released today. Henriquejr spotted an article about the save game compability at PC Gamer:

How Skyrim Special Edition works (and doesn't) with your existing saved games and mods

You can transfer vanilla saves easily, but modded saves probably won't work at all.

With Skyrim: Special Edition arriving Thursday, we realized we had a few questions about how it's all going to work in terms of mods, saved games, and most importantly: modded saved games.

Here's what we know so far, and unfortunately it's not all good news. We'll update this post with any additional information we discover.

Skyrim and Skyrim Special Edition are two separate games

You probably know this one, but just in case: if you own Skyrim and its expansions, you'll get Skyrim Special Edition for free, and you don't need to worry about Skyrim SE overwriting or replacing your original copy of Skyrim.

They are two completely separate games. If you have saved games and installed mods for Skyrim, you will still be able to play them with your original copy of Skyrim after the Special Edition appears.

Existing unmodified saved games can be used with Skyrim SE

If you've got saved games from the original Skyrim, you can use them with Skyrim SE. According to an email from Bethesda, it's just a matter of copying and pasting the files:

"Existing save games from the original PC game will work in the PC version of Skyrim Special Edition. Simply copy your old saves from My Games/Skyrim to My Games/Skyrim Special Edition."

So, you'll be able to pick up in the Special Edition right where you left off in the original. This is only for unmodded saved games, though, and here comes the bad news.

Modded saved games most likely won't work at all with Skyrim SE

[...]
More information.

Well, DX11 is confirmed, and one ENB is already up and running using files borrowed from Fallout 4.

Last edited:
skyUI does not work and mod author refused to support it anymore, looks like I'm not going to be playing anytime soon

skyUI does not work and mod author refused to support it anymore, looks like I'm not going to be playing anytime soon

He's said that someone else could take over the project, though, and there's already people working on it. I suspect it will be sorted out, as it's so critical to so many other mods.

I hope it won't be sorted out for free. One would expect Bethesda sorted it for "special" edition.

How about SKSE?

That's going to be the case with the vast majority of pre-existing mods. Most authors won't want to revisit and troubleshoot/rewrite something they finished long ago simply because Bethesda is looking to cash in on new consoles 8 years later.

How about SKSE?

That'll take a bit of work, but AFAIK the team is up for doing it. Portions of SkyUI rely on it, so it can't be completed without it. Again, it's so crucial to the modding community, I suspect it'll be sorted out. The community patches are being ported, too.

I installed it but won't play this version for several months. If I get a Skyrim urge, I'll just load the original game. Like everyone has noted, mods will be a mess for quite a while.

Apparently Bethesda still wanted everyone to have the vanilla Skyrim experience as much as possible with fancy new visual. Why else would they leave 10 year old bugs in the game still?

Last edited:
Apparently Bethesda still wanted everyone to have the vanilla Skyrim experience as much as possible with fancy new visual. Why else would they leave 10 year old bugs in the game still?

It's not a bug, its a feature!

Amazing how they have 10 year old bugs in a 5 year old game. You're so smart. That math stuff is tough, huh.

Well, DX11 is confirmed, and one ENB is already up and running using files borrowed from Fallout 4.

Hey Ripper, I can't open the link here. Is something wrong with it?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/855/?
not much improvement on the game or maybe dont remember well the vanilla; anyway witcher 3 looks like from 2030

Nexus says:
"File under moderation review

This file is currently under review by a moderator and is not open for public access. Please do not contact the staff or the owner of the file regarding this issue unless you are the file owner or you might be penalised by the staff of the site."

Amazing how they have 10 year old bugs in a 5 year old game. You're so smart. That math stuff is tough, huh.

maybe he's referring to how bugs from Oblivion still somehow show up in Skyrim? I think I remember (way back) someone from the script extender team talking about how they spoke to Bethesda about addressing bugs that had existed in previous games (to no avail apparently as they still showed up).

Yes 10 year old bugs in 5 year old game… I know, being a fan boy is even tougher than math :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a minute, you're all saying that the special edition still needs that huge collection of bugfixes mod?
Dunno if I'd cry or laugh.

Does the mod even work with the rerelease?

Back
Top Bottom