Spiderweb Games - Twenty Years of Games

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Spiderweb Games has turned Twenty this week. Jeff Vogel is the core creator behind 21 games over 20 years. To celebrate it's success here is a graph in 2D or 3D detailing their history.

Most of Spiderweb’s games are now on Steam were you can pick up all of the games. Or if you prefer direct from his website.

More information.

Also RPS is reporting that he's got his entire library up on Humble Weekly Bundle. Average is currently a hair above $4US.

Probably makes more money off the impulse buys than he would charging large amount to hard core fans

That's what I've seen in previous bundles. Taking into account the bund/charity/artist split, the average remains around $4.11US and the total is closing in on $70,000. So Vogel is closing in on making a year's wage just on the first few hours of the sale.

That's just the weirdness of economic supply at work.

" That's really insulting, $4 for 20 years of work. Cheap marketing I guess. "

Have you ever heard of the Humble Bundle?

" That's really insulting, $4 for 20 years of work. Cheap marketing I guess. "

Have you ever heard of the Humble Bundle?

Sure I've heard of it. However, that makes it no less insulting to Jeff Vogel to purchase 1,000 hours of gaming for $4. But whatever - as I said, cheap marketing.

He might be insulted. Or he might be kicking himself for not having done something similar before.

I don't think an indie maker can honestly feel insulted for clearing nearly $100,000 in a day. That's something people (including designers) commonly forget is that these humblebundle, Steam, and similar sales maximize revenue thanks to low marginal cost and the suddenly large market available at those low prices.

What will be more insulting to Jeff Vogel, that they bought 20 years work for $4, or they end up playing the 20 years work they bought for all of 2 hours? I doubt any of it is insulting.

Most 20 year old games are abandonware, I'd sure be glad if my customers sent me some cash for stuff I did 20 years ago. I'm sure I could swallow the implied insult :).

I've got a few of Spiderweb-s games already, but i'll be sure to bite the bullet at that price.

I have most Spiderweb games on CD. I bought all again at the last GOG sale…

Most of the customers are probably people that are not very interested in the games, can't afford the games normally, or people that have the games on disk and want them in digital form. Some could be cheap skates but but they probably wouldn't have bought it anyways so I say a sale is a sale and he makes money from it anyways.

I think that Spiderweb must be doing very well right now for Vogel to do this, which is a good thing, because they certainly deserve it. I know that he has mentioned that Avernum: Escape from the Pit and Avadon sold quite well. That being said, I own most of these, except for the Geneforge games. I highly recommend this deal, as it provides hundreds of hours of quality RPG.

Back
Top Bottom