Warlock: Master of the Arcane - Now Available

Well if your a fan of there previous games called Fantasy Wars and the Elven Legacy series you will love it. You could also compare it to civilization but they use the same grid or hexes in there previous games also. They just didn't have city building in them.

As killias2 says in his review below the game only costs $20. I bought dlc for that price and got less for the same amount.

Last edited:
I'd say it has more in common with Civilization then with Elven Legacy, although I can understand the EL comparison. Either way I think it's a game with promise, but it's probably not for everyone.

good to hear the game is more then ok.
It will be next on my list after avernum the pit version.

The fact that it's out? :)

That said, I have no interest in SP only for this genre - so I'll pass.

For now I passed; the game has no campaign; and is missing a lot of features. Quite frankly after playing the demo 3 or 4 times; this game while fun (partly because it is simplier than civilization games) seems very one dimensional.

I have the game and have played: Age of Wonders (all of them), Master of Magic, All Civs, Elven Legacy and Orc Wars, etc.

I am highly enjoying it. The developer is supporting it so far with quick patches as the community points things out and, while it comes no where near the depth of Civ, it easily competes in enjoyment with the other games and trumps many in my opinion.

It's a little bit beer & pretzels - meaning you don't need a ton of thought, but it also has, at least for me, a one-more-turn affect so far and I've played too long at night over the last 4 nights.

I would give it a solid 3.5 out of 5 and personally am finding it a 4.

I have about 30 hours clocked so can answer specific questions if desired.

Oh, and I played Stardock's Elemental and consider it a fiasco - to me this blows it out of the water.... although I haven't rechecked on that game in a while.

@rev
Yeah, that's my general view. I haven't played EL or OW, but I've played most of the 4x fantasy games. This feels like almost like a 4x-lite game. Very narrow focus, but easy to learn and tons of fun. I don't think it has the staying power of its big brothers and sisters, but it's certainly worth the price.

For now I passed; the game has no campaign; and is missing a lot of features. Quite frankly after playing the demo 3 or 4 times; this game while fun (partly because it is simplier than civilization games) seems very one dimensional.

I agree with this assessment. I do not regret buying it, as it's a quality game for what it is, but the game play gets redundant.

Personally, I think it's far closer to Master of Magic in terms of features and overall feel, but it's shallow compared to MoM in some ways.

It's fun in small doses however, and it does have some good elements.

I have the game and have played: Age of Wonders (all of them), Master of Magic, All Civs, Elven Legacy and Orc Wars, etc.

I am highly enjoying it. The developer is supporting it so far with quick patches as the community points things out and, while it comes no where near the depth of Civ, it easily competes in enjoyment with the other games and trumps many in my opinion.

It's a little bit beer & pretzels - meaning you don't need a ton of thought, but it also has, at least for me, a one-more-turn affect so far and I've played too long at night over the last 4 nights.

I would give it a solid 3.5 out of 5 and personally am finding it a 4.

I have about 30 hours clocked so can answer specific questions if desired.

Best review on this game yet. Lots of juicy facts. Thank you, and carry on! :)

Thanks. I've been considering doing some impressions on some other 4x games or RPGs. Endless Space, in particular, has people talking, and I'd like an excuse to buy it and try the alpha.

Oh, and I played Stardock's Elemental and consider it a fiasco - to me this blows it out of the water…. although I haven't rechecked on that game in a while.

Might want to check it out again, it has come a long way.

Might want to check it out again, it has come a long way.

yes, I started a game a week or so ago. Was fun, that's why I asked if Warlock was better than Elemental. I know Elemental came with lots of problems when it came out, but it's been patched several times and when I played it last week, it played just fine.

I was excited about this game, but not so much anymore. I might pick it up later.

I'm more excited to see what the dev for Fall From Heaven does with Elemental. That guy is a genius as far as I'm concerned. I still fire up FFH2 from time to time. Master of Mana (which is a mod of FFH2) is a ton of fun as well.

I was excited about this game, but not so much anymore. I might pick it up later.

I'm more excited to see what the dev for Fall From Heaven does with Elemental. That guy is a genius as far as I'm concerned. I still fire up FFH2 from time to time. Master of Mana (which is a mod of FFH2) is a ton of fun as well.

I just stated playing Master of Mana. You should try the dune mod it's just as good. Anyway is there an release date for the remade Elemental? From what I seen it's still in beta.

I downloaded the Dune mod a while ago, but never installed it. Might just have to do that now.

Not really sure about the release date. I believe it's sometime this year. I've got the beta, but refuse to play it. I want the finished product this time around. :)

Back
Top Bottom