Divinity 2 Any tips for new player?

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch
Just bought this one during the Steam winter sale.

Are there any particular mods or community patches that I need to install in order to get this running stable at 1920x1080 on win7 64-bit?

Dunno. Just keep on checking the official forums. News and help are there first, of course.

Here is an overview : http://www.larian.com/support.php

You could look out if this official copy protection disabling patch is out there for team already.

It also depends, by the way, if you have the original game or the DKS version. Because DKS is said to be more newbie-friendly, or so I understood it.

Thanks, Alrik!

I got the Dragon Knight Saga version.

I'm guessing the DRM will be Steamworks, which I don't have a problem with. Is there a secondary DRM on this game that causes gameplay problems?

All you need to know is that the (excellent) add-on is a new game which continues immediately after the end of the original game. You can skip forward to the add-on if necessary.
Stuff you stored in the dragon tower can be accessed in the add-on. So remember to keep a full set of dragon armour there.

I'm guessing the DRM will be Steamworks, which I don't have a problem with. Is there a secondary DRM on this game that causes gameplay problems?

I don't know.

Tips - Just take your time and explore everywhere. There are many secrets in the game that are only found by the person who explores every nook and cranny.

Always thoroughly search every location, because there are some hard to find keys hidden out there that a hasty adventurer might miss.

Overall, just take your time and explore. Oh and a big tip, make sure to do all possible side content in the game. The side content is almost mandatory because you need it to level you up, or else you'll never be strong enough to continue the game. So do everything.

Smack Richard for me, once you meet him :)

No mods or unofficial patches necessary for DKS, just make sure it's updated to the latest version.

I played through it fairly recently on Windows 7 64 bit, and the only issue I had was choppy sound during the cutscenes, but I don't think it had anything to do with the OS.

This is a slight spoiler in regards to character development, concerning two skills in which it is in my opinion really useless to invest to, due to the context of other game systems:
a) wisdom
Each rank in it grants additional 2% to your experience gains (doesn´t work retroactively).
Investing into this early may eventually grant you few more levels, but the investments also mean you have to cut the points from other skills.
It almost seems like devs put it in there as a trap for people who didn´t do the math, because it really isn´t worth it, iirc I came to the conclusion investing into wisdom actually penalizes players :).

b) mind reading
Using mind reading is definitely useful and it´s a fun feature, but investing skill points into making it cheaper is useless in the Ego Draconis portion of the game - experience from enemies scales based on the level your character kills them at (say, killing a level 9 enemy with a level 6 char gives you 1000xp, killing the same enemy with a level 8 char gives you only 800xp) and mind reading in ED is not expensive enough to offset this. Not investing into it may seem like loosing uncomfortable amount of xp points at first, but iirc pretty much the only actual effect is that you´ll be 1 level behind at some parts of the game (but, again, with more skill points at the disposal of other skills).
In the expansion mind reading costs were dramatically increased, but that part of the game also features respawn zones which may be used to offset it - which isn´t worth it in my opinion, by that time you´ll be swimming in skill points anyway
so investing some points into the skill (or even maxing it via respec) shouldn´t be detrimental by then.

Gear which adds to these skills is, of course, useful.

Nice information and thanks for sharing the information of playing tact's that is very informative to me which i never had before and this is as important for others .

Back
Top Bottom