33:14 Legend of Dragoon
39:05 Growlanser Generations
42:18 Growlanser Heritage of War
43:18 Growlanser Wayfarer of Time
45:19 Resonance of Fate
50:51 Ring of Red
01:00 Wrapping Things Up
More information.

Ha..lesser known those were some my favorite JRPGs to play in the past.

Man I'm getting old it seems.:(

About none of those RPGs were underrated, they were all pretty well regarded and loved. Forgotten… well somewhat, like people have forgotten whatever they ate the day those games were released. Works well as a clickbait for nostalgia I guess.

Wrapping Things Up is an interesting title for an RPG.

;)

Besides, the word "Wachenroder" doesn't exist in German language, even although it sounds like it would. It's complete nonsense.
It consists of the words "Wacht" = "watch" and the verb / noun "roden" which means forestal clearing, or otherwise clearing an area of plants. It still persists in some village names on Germany.

Never heard of any of those games, but if they are all JRPGs, then no wonder.

Most of those games are consoles'. I played one or another, but I know most of them "by name" only.

Last edited:
I've played maybe half on that list and would absolutely replay the ones I have and would love to play the ones I've not. That list looks chock-full of solid hits.

I must be old as I remember playing almost all of them as a kid. There's quite a few gems on that list. I didn't realize Wachenroder was getting a translation mod. I will definitely have to check that out.

Skimmed through the video, and I have to say Ring of Red actually looks pretty good. I might even fire up a PS2 emulator to try that one.

Grandia 2 was released on PC and I actually played it. Pretty average game from what little I remember. The only jRPG where I actually remember the story would be chrono trigger, skies of arcadia and most of the early Final Fantasy games. Say what you will about squaresoft but at least they can create memorable stories even if their games have slowly descended into mediocrity.

Indeed, bjon, that might be why I prefer playing their earlier games now over the more recent releases. That old school philosophy is hard to beat.

I really like the Growlanser games. They fun had tactical combat (albeit a bit clunky) that often had some optional objective like saving hostages, memorable characters, and a rather well done relationship / romance system. It's a real shame that the first and last game in the series never received an official English translation. And also that they were never ported to PC. It is probably one of the most obscure series on this list, so I'm guessing it is likely that will never change.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom