The Witcher 2 - Preview, Interview

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I haven't linked a Gamers with Jobs piece for a long time for some reason. Anyway, they have a short preview of The Witcher 2:
As a fan of the first Witcher game I entered the small Atari office with some trepidation. Pre-show talk of controller support and streamlining some elements reeks of oversimplification and a loss of nuance in favor of splashy presentation. Seeing the developer cradling a 360 pad (plugged into a PC) as he prepared to walk me through his 15 minute presentation wasn’t helping. Once the game loaded I was even more worried by something that we’d normally celebrate – it looks gorgeous. The old Aurora engine has been jettisoned, replaced by a game engine created from scratch. Watching it in motion, it’s clear CD Projekt is putting the extra graphical muscle to good use. But are they sacrificing nuance and depth for the sake of better visuals?
And over at Big Download is an interview with Tomasz Gop:
We have heard that the game is shorter but "more intense". What exactly does that mean?

It might take less time to walk through a main storyline of The Witcher 2 than it would in the previous game. But if we do it right (there are still some focus-tests ahead of us, and we've not got to beta yet), the players will feel that it's because the long, travelling-based quests are missing. We don't want to miss any of the important action - just all those "Fed-Ex" quests. Second thing, I think people don't expect the size of changes we've made in terms of the storyline's scale. Whereas The Witcher was a game about (among other things) a rebellion that took place in Temeria, The Witcher 2 is about politics and emotions that involve many kingdoms and dig much deeper into Geralt's past. The one he's forgotten... almost.
More information.

Now that I think about it I kind of like fedex quests. It's just about balancing and providing a variety of quests.

If there would be only combat orriented quests I would be dissapointed.

Too much of anything can kill ya.

I dont mind the fed ex that much if it takes me to new places, i hate the ones w/ repetitive back-n-forth over familiar boring territory.

There’s a heavy attack, light attack, magic attack, block and a dodge button.
Do we know if click to move is gone as well? If not this is going to be a bit of a keyboard twister.

If ever I trusted a dev it's gotta be CDProjekt, so I'm hoping..

As for the Fed-ex quests; - to me TW had just the right balance. On the other hand, I -did- sometimes wish for a teleport function - heck, even Morrowind had one or 2 of sorts.

..but I'm hoping and trusting.. :fingerscrossed:

"The Witcher 2 does away with the stance system in favor of a more console-like combo system. There’s a heavy attack, light attack, magic attack, block and a dodge button."
Hell no , console pad curse for mouse & keyboard users !

"Currently, there’s only a PC version planned. It’s clear they’re positioning it for a console release, but that appears to be depending on funding."
So why the consolisation ?

"the players will feel that it's because the long, travelling-based quests are missing"
TW1 had long travelling? without the loading screens travelling from swamp's camp to trade quarter was like 5' , i 'd like someone to ask about inventory issues , specially the trophies where you had to go back just to pick another head.

"we've presented things (sex) with cinematics"
I hope this time the cinematics will be skippable , sex in games is usually disturbing (for me) .

Actually a combo system with those listed combat moves would be quite easy with the keyboard.

I use the w,a,s,d setup to move...so:

Left mouse button = light attack
Shift (or Alt) + LMB = heavy attack
Right mouse button = block
Shift (or Alt) + RMB = dodge
C, X, Space, Middle mouse button (or whatever) = magic attack

Exactly how is that keyboard twisting or any more difficult to pull off than the system in the first Witcher?

I'm not saying it will be better or worse ( I thought the system in the first game was fine) but I sure don't see how it would be "consolized" or difficult.

- Currently, there’s only a PC version planned. It’s clear they’re positioning it for a console release, but that appears to be depending on funding.

I just don't get why they're playing it with an Xbox controller then....

Exactly how is that keyboard twisting or any more difficult to pull off than the system in the first Witcher?

I am having a rerun of TW this days , i am only using spacebar for pause and switching styles

LMB-attack/talk
RMB- signs
MB3- forward
MB4- no use
unfortunately for some reason i can not assign mouse wheel to inventory

I need my left arm free to hold my cig / phone / beer .

With timers on dialogues and the need to change styles / combos (given that TW on easy isn't easy at all , just died fighting a Vodianoy priest + 3 followers...and i am level 24!!!) i see TW2 getting on my nerves too soon

Can't say I'm impressed with the shortening of the game - that's something I liked about the first game. I think it took me about a month to play through it the first time. Fingers crossed the streamlining doesn't cripple the roleplaying elements, either and that the combat is as challenging as say Gothic.

However, I do like the sound of the inclusion of politics as a central theme. If they can make the story and interactions half as fascinating and dynamic as Chapter 2 was in the original game, I will be very pleased. Keeping a good, witching eye on this one. ;)

Actually the way they are doing combat is more like older PC rpgs where you have a button for light, heavy, block, dodge, and magic attack. I don't really see that as consolizing since it existed on computers long before consoles.

Back
Top Bottom