Fable 2 - Rushed and Flawed

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Here's a snip from Molyneux at Develop, according to Eurogamer:
Microsoft exclusive RPG Fable II was "terribly messy", "rushed" and suffered from "huge design flaws", creator Peter Molyneux has admitted.
Speaking at the Develop Conference in Brighton this afternoon, the Lionhead Studios boss went through a long list of Fable II features that he hated, before telling the audience how Fable 3 will improve upon them.
"Fable II, let's be honest about it, it has some terribly messy things about it," he said.
More information.

Bizzare. Why even say this now? Must really piss off the people who bought it and never liked it and those who liked it might feel a little dumb... including me... I kinda liked it for what it was.

Molyneux will say anything, if he thinks it will help the sales of his next miracle revolutionary game.

Of course, Fable 3 will be the greatest RPG in the history of mankind….forever and always, too!

:yawning:

Personally, I just ignore the man, wait for the reviews and the message board comments, and go by them :smug:

Nice to know that this time around they will release it on the PC as well, though. This way I can actually check it out if it appears to be promising.

He said that about Fable1, he said it about Fable2. Just follow the red line..

I wasn't fooled by him but I was fooled by all the positive reviews. I bought Fable (a year or two after it was released) and enjoyed it for a bit but got tired of it. I wasn't going to buy Fable 2 but the reviews were so glowing (I think G4 even named it game of the year) that I bought it and again enjoyed it for awhile but got tired of it. Fable 2 was better than Fable in my view but I'm just not going to get any more Fable games.

:bored: Oh look, its Molyneux announcing that his new game is super awesome.

I liked Powermonger a lot. Can't he make Powermonger 2? lols

So did anyone actually read the article (or as they say on Slashdot: RTFA) or did the usual "let's talk crap about Fable/Molyneux/Bioware/Oblivion/EA/Whatnot" knee-jerk reaction just kick in before any kind of brain activity could form?

Considering what I've seen here at the Watch lately, I'll guess it's the later … bah, why do I even bother. I seem to be one of the few people here who actually LIKES to play games these days as opposed to sit on my porch in my rocking chair complaining about how much better "the good old days" were … :roll:

So did anyone actually read the article (or as they say on Slashdot: RTFA) or did the usual "let's talk crap about Fable/Molyneux/Bioware/Oblivion/EA/Whatnot" knee-jerk reaction just kick in before any kind of brain activity could form?

Considering what I've seen here at the Watch lately, I'll guess it's the later … bah, why do I even bother. I seem to be one of the few people here who actually LIKES to play games these days as opposed to sit on my porch in my rocking chair complaining about how much better "the good old days" were … :roll:

Normally I would agree, but we're not talking about Bioware, Oblivion etc., we're talking about Molyneux, and he has a past history of being full of shit.

I wasn't fooled by him but I was fooled by all the positive reviews.[...]

Yep, most reviews are heavily influenced by or part of the hype, and it is not always obvious which reviews are trustworthy (though I like the ones here, generally). Sometimes message boards provide a less biased view, but since the publishers began to realise their influence a while ago and occasionally hire people to write manipulative posts, one should take them with a grain of salt as well.

So did anyone actually read the article (or as they say on Slashdot: RTFA) or did the usual "let's talk crap about Fable/Molyneux/Bioware/Oblivion/EA/Whatnot" knee-jerk reaction just kick in before any kind of brain activity could form?[...]

Actually, I did read the article, as I expect most people here do before they comment.

Normally I would agree, but we're not talking about Bioware, Oblivion etc., we're talking about Molyneux, and he has a past history of being full of shit.

Of course he is. He is Lionhead's official spokesperson. In that capacity, being full of shit is what he does for a living.

I just don't understand why anyone takes what he says seriously. He is no different from an actor appearing on a Leno/Letterman show talking about how great their new upcoming movie is even if it is crap or watching commercials lying through their teeth.

Actually, I did read the article, as I expect most people here do before they comment.

I believe you since you clearly didn't join the Molyneux lynch mob :biggrin:

I seem to be one of the few people here who actually LIKES to play games these days as opposed to sit on my porch in my rocking chair complaining about how much better "the good old days" were … :roll:
Good for you sonny. Now get the f*ck off my lawn.

In the case of P.T. Barnum-Molyneux: he really was better in ye olde days, and the only news I want to hear about him is that he's retired. Not retired from making games, because he did that years ago - just retired. Or joined an order of silent monks. Or dead. Any of those is good.

aHasBeen said:
"Fable II, let's be honest about it, it has some terribly messy things about it," he said.
As has every single 'game' developed by Lionhead. Peter, let's face it, you're now the Michael Bay of games development. There was a time - long, long, long ago - when your name was a guarantee of excellent gameplay. Now it's a promise of shallow, gimmicky crap. In the interests of fairness, I think "The Movies" succeeds in what it's trying to do. Personally, I don't find what it's trying to do interesting, but it does succeed at it. Unlike your other products.

I really enjoyed Fable 2. But I think the criticism of the menus is completely spot-on. I never wanted to dig through those endless lists of stuff, especially for stuff that simply changes your appearance or does something "fun." For that reason I sort of just plowed through the game and missed out on a good chunk of what the entire experience was supposed to be. Hopefully this is improved on and I can linger and savor #3 better.

Only other criticism was I thought it was too short and should have had a few more types of enemies. But I really liked Fable 2.

I found Fable 1 really boring but I actually finished Fable 2. Yeah, it was flawed (very buggy for one) and it was really oversold but if you ignored the hype and played it for what it was it was a fun game.

That last part applies to almost every AAA title, actually; ignore the hype and play it for what it is.

Back
Top Bottom