Space Rangers 2 HD - Now Available

Why?He's right. And nearly everbody I know thinks this way…
With that avatar and that signature, you are even harder to take seriously.
Sorry, man, but to me, people with that complete anti-Steam ideology are just not really worthy of discussing with (hence I will stop after this post).
It's like discussing matters of animal rights with someone from PETA, or matters of religion with any kind of fanatical believer or atheist. The arguments are almost completely subjective, if they even make sense for someone who chose are more neutral approach, and fueled by pure irrationality.

Imagine you are a Vulcan pondering the next move in a board game, when suddenly some Klingon bursts in and wants to convince you, mouth foaming and wildly gesticulating, that the color of your space station is the worst there is and should be banned from Starfleet. That is more or less how I feel right now.

Steam isn't perfect (I prefer getting my games on GOG when I can), but it's far from being hate-worthy if what you care about is playing games and probably having some additional services around that. If really nearly everybody you know thinks your way (and I seriously doubt that, such claims are rarely true), you either do not know a lot of people, or have a nice circle of irrational anti-fanboys around you. As long as nobody gets seriously hurt, I don't care.

I've made a vow: every time someone bitches about Steam, that's one less game I buy on GoG, GG, etc.

Want to support your favorite platform?
Kindly stfu.

I've made a vow: every time someone bitches about Steam, that's one less game I buy on GoG, GG, etc.

Want to support your favorite platform?
Kindly stfu.

Please, please do as you like. I don't have a favourite DD platform. There isn't one worth supporting by definition.

@STEAM fanboys

Not discussing your point, but spreading hate doesn't convince anyone.

I've made my point several times already, but I try again nonetheless.

Do you think that the rise of DD has improved anything in our culture? Do you believe that people would cherish the "White Album" by the Beatles if it was first and last released on iTunes only? Heck, would somebody know its name anyway? Same with Metallica and the "Black album", if it suits you more.

Have you ever tried opening the zipper of the Rolling Stones Album "Sticky Fingers" after downloading it in AAC format? You did not, because you just can't? Thought so.

And aren't we proud of our collection of "feelies" from Infocom Adventures in our STEAM library and the feel of the cloth map of Britannia from Ultima IV in our GG account. No, we aren't? Because there are none? Uh-oh.

DD rapes gaming to the point where it loses every cultural relevance and worth. As long as there is something haptic to be found, there will be people who don't pirate it.

Why don't we learn from the decline of the music industry? There is money in the business, but nowadays nearly in concerts only, where people could touch (if allowed) their favourite musicians.

And then there is STEAM, which is not only a despiseworthy DD platform, but the one with monopolistic strategies and a built-in copy protection ("STEAMworks") which prevents me from selling my games after I have played them. And don't mention the "play offline" button. Please, don't.

STEAM is the demise of gaming culture in a nutshell. I won't stop fighting them.

DD rapes gaming

UGH. You effing misogynist troll. You had a point up until you chose to make it invalid by invoking such a term.

Rape is a specific word related to violence (almost exclusively) men conduct against women. Your misappropriation cheapens the actual victims and destroys your argument by attempting to falsely elevate it to a different level of severity.

As for your argument, it is laughable.

Music is MUSIC. An album cover or physical delivery medium is NOT MUSIC. The greatness/mediocrity of White Album, Bitches Brew, Beethoven's 9th, or whatever other thing you choose is not impacted by whether it is on LP, 8-track, cassette tape, CD, or digital form. Pure and simple - it is not. Sure we can ague audio quality all day long, but the music itself is simply not impacted.

Same is true for movies - ZERO impact of VHS / DVD / Blu-Ray / digital. None. Same movie.

And my copy of Baldur's Gate II on disk is absolutely the same game as my GoG version. The absolutely same thing.

Sorry ... but can we hop back to SR2?

UGH. You effing misogynist troll. You had a point up until you chose to make it invalid by invoking such a term.

You simply can't accuse someone of that if the targeted personen worked more than 4 terms in womens studies at college.

I used the word in the follwing meaning: "an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside."

This is absolutly right for what STEAM, GG, iTunes etc is for culture.

As far as my point is concerned: My copy of "The Colonel's Bequest" contains a coloured magnifier that is used to secure evidence for the case in the manual. Will your GoG do this for you?

And if the quality of art is not a complex, interdependent process with a lot of elements, why do they exhibit the Mona Lisa at the Louvre anyway? You can see a scan on the internet any second. Make a hardcopy or look at a reprint.

Do you really argue that these things are the same, if taken from their original (or at least traditional) context?

So, if this is the case, why was the box of "Dark Seed" created by H. R. Giger? Isn't a piece of art an entity of its own? The box not only reflects the ongoings and the atmosphere of the game, it IS part of the game.

You simply can't accuse someone of that if the targeted personen worked more than 4 terms in womens studies at college.

That is the 'I can't be racist ... I have black friends' defense. Um, sorry, no. It stands.

I used the word in the follwing meaning: "an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside."

Again, nonsense defense - and likely revisionist history for getting called on it. It is like calling stuff 'gay' and then when called on it, say 'gay definition #4 from the last century means 'happy' ... that is what I meant'. Again, no. If you REALLY had a clue about women and any sort of sensitivity, you would appreciate the PRIMARY CONTEXT of the word with such an obvious meaning.

As far as my point is concerned: My copy of "The Colonel's Bequest" contains a coloured magnifier that is used to secure evidence for the case in the manual. Will your GoG do this for you?

And if the quality of art is not a complex, interdependent process with a lot of elements, why do they exhibit the Mona Lisa at the Louvre anyway? You can see a scan on the internet any second. Make a hardcopy or look at a reprint.

OK - let us assume that this situation you cite applies to 0.01% of games. I am being generous here. So what you are saying is that an entire industry is an abomination because they have failed to cater to the 6 or 7 games made in the past 35 years that have something like this? How many games have a required physical component? Perhaps in that case they should leave the game out of print?

Because something like a painting or sculpture is a 3D visual medium not fully able to be replicated by a flat 2D format. Looking at Jackson Pollack is not just about the image, but also the technique, the experience of feeling immersed at what and how the creation was made.

Whereas watching The Godfather on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray or streaming digital is THE SAME MOVIE. Every second, every image, every voice, every scene. Identical.

Do you really argue that these things are the same, if taken from their original (or at least traditional) context?

So unless you listen to every piece of music before 1952 on a 78RPM player you are guilty of "an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation"? And if you own a CD of anything recorded before the early 80s you are guilty of similar offenses?

So, if this is the case, why was the box of "Dark Seed" created by H. R. Giger? Isn't a piece of art an entity of its own? The box not only reflects the ongoings and the atmosphere of the game, it IS part of the game.

Absolutely completely NO. It is a 'trinket'. Does it have a material impact on the game in ANY way? No. Is a single line of code, texture or graphics asset, music sample or control scheme impacted by the presence or absence? If the answer is NO, then it is ABSOLUTELY NOT part of the game. Period.

I'm a total heathen, I throw away all my boxes and cases and keep all my game DVDs/CDs in storage wallets. I don't want to take up 3 walls of my house with stuff I regard as superfluous.

Mike, what's the matter with you?

Pulling one straw man after another? You call on me because I refer to an exemplary game (Colonel's Bequest) that does

Does it have a material impact on the game in ANY way? No. Is a single line of code, texture or graphics asset, music sample or control scheme impacted by the presence or absence?

fulfill your definition to the point? I never criticised the industry for not making more of these games, but I just logically deducted from this that there is a connection between what you called "trinkets" (I always thought these were trinklets, but I ain't no native speaker) and the game, as there is between a CD-cover and a music album.

If you still are not convinced, then let my cite Wikipedia (not the best source, I know, but I'm in a hurry here), which normally represents the common understanding:
Album art is still considered a vital part of the listening experience to many, and despite the less-tangible nature of digital images, there are still many collectors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Album_cover

I don't think you know about guys like the Quay Brothers and their last MoMA exhibition, but you (and I still like your articles on mobile gaming) have heard of this:

velvetandnico.jpg

To deny my presented idea in the light of this is just plain absurd.

And if you think, you have to ride the women-hater train here, let me tell you this: Men can also be "raped" in your sense of the word, this would make me a misanthropist in your logic. You are not able to ask my wife and children about this, so you have to rely on my track record here at the Watch. If you find more evidence than an unintentional misuse of a word by a non native speaker there, I rest my case.

Let it go, Mike. Your indignation is petty and largely manufactured on this one. Let's focus on the game rather than a multi-post diatribe on whether someone might have used poor word choice or not. It's not a clear cut case, and even if it was I don't see much improvement in the world coming from calling someone you don't even know all sorts of nasty names over it.

Looking forward to someone giving an opinion on how far the new version exceeds the old versions.

So here is the one free warning.:police:

Please get back on topic or warnings will be issued. Discuss your opinions in the Politics & Religion forum not here.

Love Steam. Used to hate it. But when I go into Frys, Best Buy or GameStop and basically see that the brick and mortar past of computer games is basically no more, digital distribution isn't the future it's now. I like how Steam updates your game when patches become available and I really loved how when I upgraded my rig, my save games were there when I reinstalled on my new rig.

Which is why I will buy Space Rangers for the third time. I look forward to replaying a game that will probably be very stable, for years to come.

Now that the topic is back about SR...I bought Space Rangers for a third time myself just now. Played a bit and it looks like I'm going to be hooked again :).

Guys can someone share a hint or two? I honestly dunno what to go for first. Trading alochol, collecting minerals, shooting ships... What?

And what's with a mission to protect someone for... 782346583476587364857 days?! Well, not exactly, but...

I would say all of them, one step by other, attempt and gain money and do other thing and see if it does not bankrupts you or worse destroys, play the role what you desire untill is time to take action and be involved in major events.
I guess some merchants are transporting something valuable to them or others that know of it, or there are some contracts on their bounty, or just some pirate vultures might prey on a slow and easy target, such type of missions aren't deep, but the text mission might satisfy you more.

As for re releasing a game, I don't know how to feel, is it better that they add more stuff to already a great game, or that they will screw up and make a new game to be compared later like disciples 3.

In short, the game crashes on me pretty often.
And then nvidia traybar util says gfx card driver crashed but recovered (it's the most recent driver).
Anyone has the same issue?

And then nvidia traybar util says gfx card driver crashed but recovered (it's the most recent driver).

Nope, rock solid here.

No problem here so far...a little hint that may help if you want to do trading. There's a very small - i - icon in the trading resources window. When you click it, it saves all the buying/selling prices you've seen on that planet... It saves them as a notification icon on your screen where you get all the other messages. That way you can compare fairly easily the prices on various products across different planets.

I had few crashes on alt+tab but no problems in game.

Also I don't remember flying close to sun did so much damage in original, it's very annoying especially when you need to land on planet closes to sun with small, mobile ship which I prefer.

Back
Top Bottom