Too Human - Gone Gold

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We've missed this throughout it's development but Silicon Knight's Too Human looks to be squarely in our coverage, so I'll toss this bit up and add it into the database at some point.
The X360-only action/RPG has apparently gone Gold with a release date of August 19th. Since we haven't covered it before, here is the feature set (does anyone know why the protagonist is named "Baldur"?):
  • Thrilling action/RPG gameplay: The excitement of an action game is combined with the creative economy features and social experiences of a typical RPG. With a wide array of weapons, armors, cybernetic implants, and skills, players have an unprecedented level of customization with their characters.
  • Explosive melee and firearms combat: It takes more than raw strength to supplant the machine hordes. Using a sophisticated blend of seamless melee and high-tech weapons combat, players have the power to vanquish foes near and far. Witness the fluid grace of heroes and enemies in battle as enacted by the acclaimed motion-capture group Full Action Stunt Team (FAST).
  • Advanced cinematic presentation: Characters and environments come to life with amazing visual fidelity. Experience the full excitement of combat through a dynamically driven presentation system that portrays the combat with cinematic quality. Survive pulse-pounding battles against hordes of on-screen enemies. A sweeping orchestral score sets the mood for heartbreak, anger, and bloodlust as each tune encapsulates the gamer within the immersive gaming environment.
  • Intuitive combat: Perform Baldur's elaborate and complex combat maneuvers, and chain together rapid-fire attacks and combos with ease. Through the use of an intuitive combat system, Too Human delivers gameplay that is easy to learn and rewarding to master.
  • Shared experience: Conquer the world alone or with friends in advanced, online two-player co-op gameplay through the Xbox LIVE service. Online co-op play requires Xbox LIVE Gold Membership.
  • Modern take on classical Norse mythology: In a world ruined by centuries of war, Too Human chronicles the epic story of Baldur, favored son of Odin and one of a group of humanity's protector, the Aesir. As Baldur, you must destroy the ancient war machines that threaten the world, but to do so you must balance your sense of duty and honor against your lust for revenge—perhaps even sacrificing your humanity in the process.

More information.

(sigh) Yes, I was excited when I first heard about this game last year; however, not being a console gamer..... drat!

Actually alot of fun...it is an action game akin to diablo. But not....heheh does that help?

Baldur is a Norse god. In the game you play a cyber-god thing in a setting based on Norse mythology.

Was he blind? I'm trying to remember back to the Renshai series.

Oh, and:

"Actually alot of fun...it is an action game akin to diablo. But not....heheh does that help? "

Damn you! (Shakes fist). The kind thing to say is, "Don't worry, you're not missing out". But I can't even look forward to it being released on PC in a year, as I've washed my hands of crappy ports.

I tried it. I really liked the mix of sci fi with viking elements. Even after playing the demo I would find myself thinking back on how intriguing it was. Unfortunately, the combat seems a little... clunky. Maybe I just need some time to get used to it. Another thing worth mentioning is that the voice acting is almost embarrassing to listen to.

Either way, I'll be picking this one up. I've had my eye on it for quite some time.

and how is sthe story aspect? is it like rune_74 said: diabloesque? or is the story heavvier? choices? because the description of the game seems only to talk about the action

Why not? Its an rpg and in todays world alot of people have both....if it isn't to your liking why not just ignore it?

I find this game kind of interesting since I'm a Norse mythology nut. I don't really like the art style - the aesthetic design of the game - but the story and the whole idea sound pretty interesting.

And yes, Baldur is ("was") a Norse god - the god of beauty, according to some. He gets killed by Loki, the god of trickery. Some stories claim that he may come back after Ragnarok (the end of the world) to lead a rejuvenated world. Others claim this Christ-like tale was influenced by the coming of Christianity and was not actually present in the original Norse myths.

So does this mean your character in Too Human will get killed by a special twig like in the story? Heheh. Spoilers much?

But no, it's not Baldur of Baldur's Gate, if that's what you were thinking. :p That guy was just supposed to be some mortal adventurer named Balduran, strangely enough... though there is also a god named Tyr in the Forgotten Realms, who is another Norse deity.

*ahem* Well, I guess that's enough rambling.

Why not? Its an rpg and in todays world alot of people have both....if it isn't to your liking why not just ignore it?

Well, I think that if they want to start covering Console exclusives, that we need to have separate sections for PC RPGs and Console RPGs. The Console makes a crap ton of RPGs every year, hell every month, and the problem is most of them are just crap. So to make sure that the PC RPGs don't get buried with console fodder, there needs to be a separation.

I thought we don't cover console only games.

Of course we do. ;) Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Fable, Fable 2...these were all console-exclusives when we started covering them.

We don't cover JRPGs, which excludes a good number of console-only titles - but if one fits within our western-RPG purview, we try to cover it (not having any consoles, I occasionally miss something, like in this case).

@Eisberg - we always have (see above) and in my opinion, it has worked fine. There really aren't that many console-only western-RPGs that the coverage gets overwhelmed, or even close to it.

We don't cover JRPGs, which excludes a good number of console-only titles - but if one fits within our western-RPG purview, we try to cover it (not having any consoles, I occasionally miss something, like in this case).

I wonder why. Since the american industry have decided that heavy/hardcore rpg's are too difficult for their native teenagers to comprehend we are left with a few European (mostly german) developers that offers the kind of games we like.

Final Fantasy XII really feels like a western game, both in story and gameplay. They cut's loose from the traditional turn-based jrpg style and instead they have a system that feels like playing an MMO with a free-roaming world. It's more of an old-school western RPG than Titan Quest, Silverfall etc.

Last edited:
Of course we do. ;) Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Fable, Fable 2...these were all console-exclusives when we started covering them.

Much better to cover it IMO, those who'd never get a console anyway can ignore and those who might and would miss it otherwise can benefit from the usual top quality new coverage here.

I might give it a go myself, the xbox has been gathering dust ever since I got my new pc but this might be okay. I'm always put off by something that talks about all the cool graphics & combo moves before the plot though, never a good sign.

Final Fantasy XII really feels like a western game, both in story and gameplay. They cut's loose from the traditional turn-based jrpg style and instead they have a system that feels like playing an MMO with a free-roaming world. It's more of an old-school western RPG than Titan Quest, Silverfall etc.

Are they any good? Never really explored JRPGs but they could be worth a look.

Maybe this & the console issue would make a good topic for the next poll.

Are they any good? Never really explored JRPGs but they could be worth a look. Maybe this & the console issue would make a good topic for the next poll.

You use the word "they" when I was refering to one game in particular, so I will interpret your comment as "Is FFXII any good?". It's the most "western" jrpg I know of and calling it "jrpg" at all feels kinda weird. The only relation to earlier FF games is the reuse of some monsters and names that is unique to the frenchise (Chocobo, Cactuar, Gil etc).

Storywise FFXII is not the best FF game up to date, but we have to acknowledge that the FF series are known for going far beyond average when it comes to story so FFXII is still above average when compared to other series. It's strongly inspired by Star Wars, enough to make some say it's a rip-off. The reason it's considered one step down from other FF games storywise is that characters are not developed as much and the main character (Vaan) feels like he's just along for the ride in a great/epic political plot. The artstyle (armor etc) is very European and perhaps middle-eastern.

Gamewise FFXII is a party RPG that I best can compare with KOTOR. You move throughout the landscape followed by your two chosen companions that you equip as you like (you have pretty good control over what skills to give them and how to design them). Unlike jrpg's in general the combat is in real-time and there are no random battles. Each monster can be seen beforehand and you can plan your strategy before facing it. So you go on, fighting stuff that is in your way (or for money/loot/experience) and you loot whatever container you see. Your companions are scripted by you so they act like you want them to act, until you break the game to select a special action (throwing a certain spell, using an item etc).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOg5CigkrAg

The world allows for free-roaming so once you reached an area there are reasons to go back to it later, for grinding, for looting and for quests that brings you there. FFXII feels alot like a MMORPG in that regard.

FFXII is far more hardcore than the average game offered by western companies and if you go in for finding all stuff the game have to offer you double/tripple the time it takes to finish it.

Back
Top Bottom