Quantcast
RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - Quest For Glory 2 - Available for Download
View Single Post

January 24th, 2011, 05:56
Originally Posted by blatantninja View Post
What did they change?
Sorry ninja didn't see your question.

The biggest change was it was now point and click. Which has its advantages and disadvantages. For me I preferred ed the parser. I was still quite young, but the parser system was intuitive enough for me to figure out most of the puzzles. The combat was different as well. It's much better in the EGA version.

From Wikipedia:

Remake
Like some other games by Sierra, a VGA version using Sierra's "point and click" SCI1.1 interpreter was released in 1992. As a result of some limitations of this version, many die-hard fans of Quest for Glory resent the VGA rendition[citation needed] due to the lack of movement that was prevalent in the original, which used the text-parser–based SCI0.

While the original game was based on dialogues and asking questions in order to obtain some background information, in the new interface the dialogues had a tree structure: a menu of question topics. By asking certain questions (e.g. "Ask about Potion"), the player will get new questions to ask (e.g. "Healing potion, Stamina potion, Dispel potion"). Some easter eggs were also updated, for example in Erasmus's house, the original has a reference to King's Quest IV, while the remake has a reference to The Dagger of Amon Ra. The treasure room in the troll cave leading to the Brigand's hideout was missing in the remake.

The backgrounds and characters were hand drawn and scanned, while the monster fights and character portraits were made using clay models and stop motion animation.

While the remake kept the scenes and logic of the original, many players[who?] were disappointed by its ending cutscene, the aerial view of Spielburg. Interestingly, the pic and music were included in the data files. Unlike other games, running out of stamina points here can kill the hero outright instead of starting to do health damage.

The VGA remake and original version were also released on CD-ROM as part of the 1996 Anthology collection and 1997 Collection Series.
I'm not really sure what he means by "lack of movement in the original". Movement was about the same, it was the fact that I now it felt like my options were limited.

In any case I know a lot of people will say the point and click is better, but not being shown what to ask and coming up with it yourself is more fulfilling. Plus they can throw in a few more jokes that way I just prefer an intelligent parser to being spoon fed my questions for me or limited to what I can do with a mouse.

That being said I sill love Quest for Glory IV which was all point and click. I would have preferred it to be like the others, but with updated graphics, but it still was an excellent game.
--
Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)