South Park, Company of Heroes 2, Metro: Last Light Delayed

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I'll let the news story speak for itself.
THQ’s fiscal 2013 second quarter call today was not filled with much joy, and the company was quick to end it.

Firstly, South Park: The Stick of Truth was scheduled for March 5, 2013, but it’s now scheduled for “early fiscal 2014,” which means sometime after March 31, 2013. Company of Heroes 2 and Metro: Last Light are now both scheduled for vague releases in March, though presumably before the fiscal year is up on March 31.

Darksiders II was released to a decent amount of fanfare in August, but it hasn’t translated into stellar sales, with THQ characterizing the sequel as having underperformed.

The company also refused to issue any financial guidance for the future, and cancelled the traditional Q&A session with analysts and investors at the end of the call. THQ basically hung up the phone, but alluded to the publisher continuing to have money flow problems as it continues its painful transition.

It doesn’t seem like things are going to get any easier at THQ anytime soon.
Things are getting worse not better for THQ. I just hope Relic will survive at another publisher and hope it's not Activision or EA.

Link-http://www.giantbomb.com/news/south-park-company-of-heroes-2-metro-last-light-delayed/4440/

I was looking forward to Metro. No interest in RTS and if south park never see's the light of day I wouldn't lose a moments sleep.

I was actually looking forward to the South Park game.

Is it possible they decided to adapt it for next gen consoles?

I was actually looking forward to the South Park game.

Is it possible they decided to adapt it for next gen consoles?

Could be but most certainly sounds like there cash flow reserves are drying up. I have no doubt if the worse does happen the games will still be published but by someone else.

Here is another link the title is called THQ: Is this the beginning of the end?
Farrell said it best in June: "I've been doing this long enough to know that …at the end of the day, the product will drive the stock price," he said.

Overshadowing all of this is the lingering threat that THQ might not have the money to ride out those delays. The company has already drawn $21 million from its line of credit – and its cash reserves are down to $36 million.

It has tapped Centerview Partners to help it raise capital and address the August 2014 due date of its $100 million 5% convertible senior notes. (But as the company acknowledged in its earnings, "there can be no assurance that the evaluation of strategic and financing alternatives will result in a transaction or financing, or that, if completed, said transaction and/or financing will be on attractive terms.")

"Strategic alternatives" is one of those business phrases that usually means the company is shopping itself around for a buyer. So, while it's hoping things will get better, they could get a lot worse – a lot quicker.

Once more, let's harken back to that June conversation:

"We want to show the shareholders that the heavy lifting is done," said Farrell at the time. "The last six months have been an exercise in great pain and suffering. We feel like we're getting there. We've taken a lot of negative things in the press – and frankly a lot of that was deserved. This company has changed. We have strong, new leadership. … It's starting to come together."

Link-http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/180927/THQ_Is_this_the_beginning_of_the_end.php#.UJjPDobgz6W

Last edited:
I'll let the news story speak for itself.

Things are getting worse not better for THQ. I just hope Relic will survive at another publisher and hope it's not Activision or EA.

All relics games make good profit so I am sure they will land on their feet no matter what happens to THQ.On topic I don't think THQ will shut down since CoH 2 will certainly give them good financial boost,and South park have huge fan base so I think game go very well.At lest I hope THQ is one of few big publishers I wouldn't want to see go under.

So… Seems THQ is one foot in the grave.
Delaying Stick/Truth is a shame but it's a game that belongs to the future.
What games from did I really enjoy published by THQ?

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-THQCC/thq-complete-collection-bundle
Here I see none.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=THQ
Here I see only milk (DLC) and dozens of mindless grinders. Okay, I don't have everything, maybe I'm wrong, maybe there are a few jewels on that list…

And no, I didn't buy Stalker nor I plan to as it smelled as another limitless respawnkicking grinder.

Whatever happens, someone will definetly grab the South Park game as it's sales simply cannot fail. For everything else all I can say is that I don't care for THQ's fate. In fact, I hope it'll go down. Including all similar publishers. Sorry.

South Park will probably not happen, or if it happens, it'll be very buggy, almost unplayable. Money will run out, at some point they'll have to decide to either scratch the game, or if it's somewhat playable, release it with minimal QA (this same scenario has happened so many times in the past, it's not even a guess anymore).

What games from did I really enjoy published by THQ?

Well, tastes are personal, but the Warhammer series was always incredibly fun for me. And Supreme Commander/Forged Alliance is the best RTS to have come out since the original Starcraft. Stalker isn't so bad either… being more of a Fallout successor than Fallout 3.

So, yeah, it would be a shame if these guys can't recover. I've watched their logo spash screens come up many a time.

Here I see only milk (DLC) and dozens of mindless grinders. Okay, I don't have everything, maybe I'm wrong, maybe there are a few jewels on that list…
If we don't count the ones that have a flood of DLC, or that can count as "grinders":
Company of Heroes+expansions, Supreme Commander, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, Dawn of War+expansions, Metro 2033, Full Spectrum warrior, Red Faction+ Guerrilla, Dawn of War 2+Chaos expansion & S.T.A.L.K.E.R, so you are quite far off. And DoW 2:Retribution might have had a lot of DLC, but it was the type that in no way shape or form made the game worse for anyone playing it, and could easily be ignored (extra skin & sound packs).

And I don't care much about THQ themselves, but if Relic were to go, I would be very sad. Same with Obsidian, who might once again have economic trouble in case Stick of Truth is never released.

South Park will probably not happen, or if it happens, it'll be very buggy, almost unplayable. Money will run out, at some point they'll have to decide to either scratch the game, or if it's somewhat playable, release it with minimal QA (this same scenario has happened so many times in the past, it's not even a guess anymore).

The South Park game is "almost" done. THQ would be stupid to wast all the money they gave Obsidian to make it and not release anything in the end. It's actually worst than releasing a buggy game. The buggy game give you some revenue...while a cancelled one is just wasted money.

I hope Obsidian can survive if the South Park RPG is cancelled - I don't know if they're being paid for all the work they've done to date.

JDR, yes I am. Sorry about that.

You may of course always mess my thoughts by putting a list of dozens of awsome RPGs THQ or others who fail and will fail developed/published over decades. Until then, grindlovers can wail all day long over someone's "poor fate" for all I care.

Guys, Stick of Truth will survive, name me anyone who wouldn't take it from THQ if left unfinished. Unless THQ asks billions for it, but that's not gonna happen.

JDR, yes I am. Sorry about that.

You may of course always mess my thoughts by putting a list of dozens of awsome RPGs THQ or others who fail and will fail developed/published over decades. Until then, grindlovers can wail all day long over someone's "poor fate" for all I care.

Guys, Stick of Truth will survive, name me anyone who wouldn't take it from THQ if left unfinished. Unless THQ asks billions for it, but that's not gonna happen.
In the case of Stick of Truth it's not so easy, as there are other parties involved with who knows what contract obligations and restrictions.

Definitely some good games on their resume. Few (if any) real RPGs though. I liked STALKER, and Supreme Commander. Always wanted to try the Warhammer games. Metro, too. Would be sorry if South Park was cancelled.

I would be sad if Relic went away. I'm not an RTS fan normally, but Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 2 were some of the funnest RTSes I've ever played. :-\

Back
Top Bottom