Skyrim - 360 Achievements Revealed

The story related ones are interesting, especially the "Join the Stormcloaks or the Imperial Army". There is 3 achievements related to that duality. Could it be that Skyrim's storyline is as much about the local politic than fighting dragons?

I generally like Achievements if they're done right. I don't like them tied to game scores or for them to give bonuses. I just like it when they pop up with a little title and fanfare and then go away. Getting Pacifist feels like a real achievement in Deus Ex, for example. Eschalon Book II did them the wrong way, where your end game score totally depended on which achievements you set out to earn. I thought that was a terrible mechanic.

There are some minor spoilers in there...

I don't really mind achievements unless they are intrusive during game play in a big way.

So far there is only one game I really appreciated Achievements, Alpha Protocol. As far as I can tell, in the majority of games 90%+ they are useless as the ones here. Too bad. One can only hope other game companies can/will learn to turn this console bs into something useful.

I can't stand useless achievements. I really don't care will some achievement tell me if I did something this or that way - like I don't know it already. Oh, mybe I'm too stupid to know how I did a thing in the game so there MUST be an achievement, and not just one, but unbelievable 360 of them!

Either remove them completely from the game or add some (minor!) bonus to them.

I imagine these will transfer 1 to 1 over to Steam achievements. Apparently with Steam, if you disable the overlay you never see the achievement popups. You still get them but it's transparent to you. Playing in offline mode or with a cheat mode turned on (even if you don't use it) should disable them completely.

What's the point of achievements? If you are going to put them in there then give some kind of reward within the game for getting them. Something….anything would make them mildly interesting.

Say what you will about Dungeons, but when it came to achievements they did it right. Each map has certain things you need to do in order to receive bonuses at the end of the map. I really liked that and strived to get all of the bonuses I could.

Or Painkiller. Each map has one type of goal in mind like finding all the secrets or not getting hit or using only a certain weapon. If you do this then you receive a special…..card (spell). I did some maps over and over again just to get that stupid card and when I got it I felt like I really "achieved" something.

They give no motivation at all to get these things other than bragging rights. Who the hell wants to brag about getting achievements in a game?

I'm pretty indifferent about achievements, but I do find them interesting when they give you something for completeing them. Like in Kings Bounty, if you lit a certain number of enemies on fire you got a bonus to fire damage.

I don't tend to like achievements that much. It's kind of a "get your arcade high score measurement notions out of my RPG" feeling for me. However, there have been some exceptions.

I quite liked them in Alpha Protocol and New Vegas, where I think they tended to really assist in the feeling of reactivity in those games.

Of the other few I actually like, one would have to be from Risen:

IDIOT: Fell to death 3 times.

That's telling it like it is PB! :D Cracked me up when I got it.

I do like it that there are apparently 6/7 (with 2 being mutually exclusive) groups you can join - the circle, companions, college of winterhold, theive's guild, dark brotherhood, stormcloaks, and imperial army. I'm also liking the 15 daedric artifacts ahceivement - confirmation for the people worried about whether or not they'd be back this time around.

Back
Top Bottom