Knights of the Chalice - KOTC 2 Update

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
BlueSalamander has posted some of his goals he'd like to switch to for KOTC 2:
* from procedural programming to object oriented (OO is much more suitable for a large project, I now realise this)
* from a Windows-specific development library (DirectX) to a cross-platform library (probably SFML) that works on Linux, Mac and Windows. It has been said that 50% of indie RPG sales are Mac versions.
* from a low resolution window to high resolution (preferably a 1024x768 window) - this means starting from scratch on graphic assets. Something approaching the graphic quality of Temple of Elemental Evil for dungeon tiles would be ideal. The game would still use 2D tiles and sprites and the same kind of Ultima-VII perspective. Initially I was more in favour of keeping the low resolution. But it's probably worth trying to get graphics closer to TOEE or Eschalon in order to widen the audience.
* together with the graphic change, it will be good to change from MIDI music to CD-quality music in ogg format.
* from a focus on a single large adventure to a module editor that could be used to create small modules intended for player characters of a certain level. After finishing a module, the same player characters could be transferred into another module where they can continue adventuring and levelling up. Just like the classic D&D modules. Some features will go away, like listening at the door, as it makes level design slower without bringing much benefit.
More information.

ToEE quality graphics and CD quality music? Count me in. I really wanted to like the original KOTC, but I couldn't get past the visuals, despite how good the combat engine was.

The quoted stuff is 2 years old. (Check the date of the post.)

Lol, well I'll be. It sure is. Since it's not been updated in a while and I don't believe it's been posted here then I'll leave it as is. Better late than never.

Tomorrow I'm going to post more about the game that he has on his Fantasy World Engine site. This was just something to remind people about the game. I don't have time to search through 15 pages of forum posts to see if he updated that at all. If he did then he needs to do it on the first page of that post.

Last edited:
2 years or not, I'll be a little more interested if he can get the graphics a little more modern. Of course, as things stand now, this site is about as close as I get to playing games anyway!

Those sound like worthy goals. I wonder how he's coming along with them... :p

I hope this projet will go on.

I bought KOTC a month ago after having discovered it over here. Great engine, lot of fun. It's exactly my style of game.

Its nice to see this renaissance of small rpg developers arising to make rpgs the big names no longer are bothered to make.

ToEE quality graphics and CD quality music? Count me in. I really wanted to like the original KOTC, but I couldn't get past the visuals, despite how good the combat engine was.

I'm with you on that, but I hope he leans more toward ToEE and not Eschalon. Why not just adapt his sytem to the infinity engine? Would love to see KOTCs turn based D&D with the beautiful 2d art found in either Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale...

KoTC is awesome. Everything I love in a game, the mechanics rock, and the difficulty is perfect imo. I'd pay 50 bucks for it, no questions asked. I'd pay more for the sequel!

-Carn

I could live with the graphics. My only problem was the limited number of classes available. Everything else was great. Looks like he has a nice list of classes and races planned for the sequel. I'll be getting it for sure, if it shakes out like the drawing board.

I was disappointed with having only three classes (what? No rogue / thief?!?!?), but if that's what allowed him to make and complete a quality game, I'm okay with it. He did a fantastic job - it's one of my all-time favorite RPGs, and I liked the graphics style. Maybe just 'cuz it reminded me of Ultima VII, I dunno. :) Not that I'd complain about higher-resolution graphics.

The funny thing is that KoTC was inspired by ToEE, and I preferred KoTC to ToEE. Sometimes, I think, simpler is better. (So why didn't I make Frayed Knights that way, huh?!?!?)

The funny thing is that KoTC was inspired by ToEE, and I preferred KoTC to ToEE. Sometimes, I think, simpler is better. (So why didn't I make Frayed Knights that way, huh?!?!?)

'cause you're nuthin' but a rampant coyote, that's why! ;)

Actually I was thinking the same thing when playing. I really like your game but 2D would have been good enough for me (and might have allowed you more artistic control of the final product instead of working with a limited clunky 3D engine?)

just my 2c anyway :)

If he makes true on all of his promises it might be one of the best RPGs ever. I mean the turn-based combat engine is so so far superior to any AAA commercial game out there.

It's not exactly trivial to create quality 3D renders for the 2D dungeon backgrounds. If it's a small team, I'll be impressed if they can do work on that level.

I'd be fine with a high-res standard tile engine, though, and I'd rather have a more wholesome implementation of the rules than fancy graphics.

Skavenhorde, you're not going to learn much by sifting through the KOTC2 forums. He has links to character classes and some other info on the front page.

I'd be fine with a high-res standard tile engine, though, and I'd rather have a more wholesome implementation of the rules than fancy graphics.
DArtagnan, are you high? With this developer, I severely doubt you have to worry about gameplay being compromised for graphics.

I doubt it'll happen. As far as I understand he'll keep the same engine just increase the resolution.

As far as gameplay goes all he has to do is to keep the system he already built and improve on it.

Back
Top Bottom