Shadowrun Returns - Tablet Versions Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Harebrained Schemes announces that the tablet versions of Shadowrun Returns are now available in this new post-funding update.

When Jordan created the original world of Shadowrun, he didn’t predict that people would one day interact with that world on touch-screen computers more powerful than the one that took us to the moon. It is extremely gratifying that the enthusiasm for this game setting has stood the test of time and that we are now able to deliver it on mobile devices to a new generation of gamers.

The iOS and Android tablet versions of Shadowrun Returns is being released in the Apple and Google Play stores for $9.99 on Thursday, September 26. The tablet versions doesn't include the editor and will not contain access to community created content but we do plan to bundle the best community content and release it on tablets at some point in the future.

As we've said before, we know a most paid marketing efforts are kind of useless. Most of us rely on the opinions of people we trust to help us figure out what we want to play next. So please help get the word out that the iOS and Android versions are available by sharing the links below, along with some Shadowrun love.
More information.

Well, I grabbed this right away, finishing up two in progress games and then get to it,

Just played the first fight. Plays very much like XCOM for iOS which is a good thing.

Anyone know if the text is legible on a phone? They do anything to bump up the size, or is it the same as on the PC but scaled down?

It only runs on an iPad.

The Google Play store seems to think it's compatible with my phone.

Edit: Reading reviews on Google Play, folks say it isn't optimized for phones and suggest playing it on a tablet only, so it sounds like a straight port. One guy said he couldn't read the text on his HTC One, which has a screen about the same size as my phone.

I don't even know WHY they'd allow it to be run on anything less than 7" screens based on my initial experience.

Can we get an honest review/comparison to the PC version? If I'm to bother playing this middling game - I think lying in my bed with my iPad might work :)

Can we get an honest review/comparison to the PC version? If I'm to bother playing this middling game - I think lying in my bed with my iPad might work :)

That is why I grabbed it ... my PC gaming time has been throttled as of late, and this didn't perk to the top ... so I'll play iPad (been reviewing WAY too much crap lately!) and see how it goes

I don't even know WHY they'd allow it to be run on anything less than 7" screens based on my initial experience.

People that are so dumb that they play these sort of games on a phone deserves to get screwed over...

Can't really give a through comparison as I only played an hour of the pc version and about 15 mins of iOS version. What I played seemed the same though.:)

I will say that it transfers to the tablet and touch controls quite well. I have the 10" iPad and did have a little trouble selecting specific characters when they were grouped together. Not enough to be frustrating though I just had to tap a couple times. I would think with a little more time I'd get used to it. Not sure how much harder it would be on a 7" tablet though. You do have a limited range to zoom in and out though which helps.

I bought this for tablet because sadly while it's an ok game it's not good enough to earn play time against my library of pc games. I probably wouldn't have played or finished it.

On the iPad however, it's my second best game behind XCOM. I should definitely finish it now.

People that are so dumb that they play these sort of games on a phone deserves to get screwed over…

No. They do not. They deserve to be treated like a potential future customer and be given good advice about what device to use.

No. They do not. They deserve to be treated like a potential future customer and be given good advice about what device to use.

Exactly ... If a game won't work well, don't allow the install. I am seeing that crap more and more on my Android devices.

Lol so many touch fans, I didn't knew that forum had changed that much.

I won't quote anybody but I doubt that Gorky 17 is in any way better than this game. Lol I suppose the forum review did a good job in destroying the game as a casual game. And now some "censored" go support touch release in favor of computer release. All of that is very sad.

And after you'll complain on this or that...

Exactly … If a game won't work well, don't allow the install. I am seeing that crap more and more on my Android devices.
troll.jpg

Actually, it's more about lifestyle of each individual. It's just that a PC happens to be the most convenient device for me. A tablet seems to have more common things with a PC than a console. As for android devices, application compatibility seems to be getting quite an issue although I thought many users were prepared for the compensation of the freedom. I'd wait till compatibility information is piled up. Also, some may like to wait till the save system improvement if they have many other things to do since, generally speaking, mobile devices are not good for multi-tasking.

Tablet have an historic coming from computers, but they share the same weakness than consoles, no mouse, no keyboard. That's why no tablet and no console will ever replace a computer, it's amazingly ridiculous to believe they can.

I react brutally but I do often, it's not really trolling that involves pure provocation even based on stuff you don't think, the only trolling aspect is to let the brutality speak. That brutality came from the surprise and disappointment.

I'll never stop be surprised by the stupidity that can spread in Business, in that case the developers of this game. My bet is their bet is consumers are idiots, and probably it works often because nobody care or few care.

There was already big clues that the game was a mobile project, it's just that release on tablet and at half price ends the story. The problem is no way the kicksarter and "after kickstarter paypal" page was clear on that. The game was clearly presented as a computer game project. What they did is an embezzlement, they made a mobile game project with a large investment from computer players.

They worth bankrupt and leave the market.

Tablet have an historic coming from computers, but they share the same weakness than consoles, no mouse, no keyboard. That's why no tablet and no console will ever replace a computer, it's amazingly ridiculous to believe they can.

I react brutally but I do often, it's not really trolling that involves pure provocation even based on stuff you don't think, the only trolling aspect is to let the brutality speak. That brutality came from the surprise and disappointment.

I'll never stop be surprised by the stupidity that can spread in Business, in that case the developers of this game. My bet is their bet is consumers are idiots, and probably it works often because nobody care or few care.

There was already big clues that the game was a mobile project, it's just that release on tablet and at half price ends the story. The problem is no way the kicksarter and "after kickstarter paypal" page was clear on that. The game was clearly presented as a computer game project. What they did is an embezzlement, they made a mobile game project with a large investment from computer players.

Do you even know anything about tablets?

You can use a mouse and keyboard with windows and android tablets and iPads if you jailbreak it.

Nothing wrong with disliking tablets but you may want to at least acquaint your self with their basic features before you decide.

Anyway the game plays just fine with touch controls.

Big clues??? How about the fact that they said in their Kickstarter campaign that they were hoping to release on mobile devices eventually, it was even supposed to be a mobile game from the start but they changed the priorities so the PC was the main target. I see nothing wrong with releasing good games on tablets, and SR is a good game in my opinion.

I prefer turn based games, and the touch controls works fine for that. I still prefer playing games on my PC, but if the mobile market evolves to include more titles with more depth than the typical puzzle or action games, then that's good evoloution in my book.

Tablets coming from computers are failures - pre-iPads ALL tablets were abject failures, and look at Windows tablets now ... sold less in a year than iPad sells in a day, and took a $900 million write-down due to horrific sales and tremendous returns. Android tablets with mouse & keyboard are niche ... much less popular than a Chromebook.

Tablets have many weaknesses - we've discussed then before. For things that work best on console or PC, they won't work as well on tablets.

But studies have shown that for many things that emulate human physical interaction - like a simulation or hidden object game - kids respond immediately and more naturally to a touchscreen than any other thing.

So while WE who have grown up on the PC favor mouse & keyboard, it becomes less of an issue as more games learn new methods of interaction

I react brutally but I do often

I'll never stop be surprised by the stupidity that can spread in Business, in that case the developers of this game. My bet is their bet is consumers are idiots, and probably it works often because nobody care or few care..

The problem with your reactions is that YOU tend to treat anyone who would play a game on a smartphone or tablet like an idiot.

Back
Top Bottom