Eschalon: Book III - Review @ GameBanshee

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GameBanshee's Steven Carter has posted a new review for Eschalon: Book III. The review is three pages long so I will just post the conclusion.
Conclusion

Overall, while the Eschalon trilogy didn't win a lot of awards or appear on many top 10 lists, all of its games have been solid, and Book III is no exception. The campaign might take you 25+ hours to complete, and with all of the options for character builds, and with the fundamentally different ways some of those builds play, that means you might spend 50+ enjoyable hours with the game, which is a good deal at its $20 asking price.

That being said, Book III is very similar to Books I and II, so if you didn't enjoy those earlier games then you won't like the new one, either. But since all of the games are similar, that means you could pick up Books I and II (which you can often find for $5 from online retailers) and inexpensively test out if the series is right for you. I enjoyed the time I spent with Eschalon, and I'm quite sad to see it end.
More information.

After playing Book I, I didn't have much interest in II or III, mostly because of the combat model. Can't wait to hear what Thomas is going to do next, though.

After playing the Steam version for a few hours today, I unfortunately experienced a few nasty bugs, one of which affected save games and corrupted a good deal of progress I'd made. As a consequence, I think I'll hold off a little longer and wait for the Steam version to be updated.

The strangest bug I found was in the Southern Boglands, where travel was impossible in any direction. If one went north for example, as the black cloud of the exit should be appearing, instead - a whole uninteractive/unattackable horde of green slimes seemingly blocked the exit. Twas strange. :)

Edit: Strange but not unique. It's apparently known as the "void of slimes" bug. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom