The Witcher - Don't forget your GOG backup

Dhruin

SasqWatch
CDPR reminds us to head over to GOG and secure the free Witcher digital backup:
All PC gamers who already own The Witcher (the first game in the series) are eligible to receive a free digital back-up copy on GOG.com. All you need to do is go to GOG.com/witcherbackup and follow the instructions to obtain your free back-up copy. This offer is also valid for everyone who is planning on purchasing The Witcher in the future.
Don’t wait any longer and redeem your free back-up copy and gain access to The Witcher from anywhere in the world, anytime and of course with no DRM now!
IMPORTANT: If your version of the game does not have a code on the back of the manual, you have time until the 30th of June to provide us with the proof of purchase.
GOG.com is also offering back-up copies of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings to everyone who has bought the game or intends to buy it in the future.
More information.

Uhhhh I am totally dense. I own both games but I am not sure why this is a feature? Am I missing out on something?

Well, I for one would like to make use of the Witcher backup since I own the original on DVD. And I think you gain other typical GoG stuff such as soundtrack, art, etc, all in one easy place.

Nonetheless, my key isn't being accepted for some reason and I don't feel it important enough to go through the necessary solution - ie., taking a picture of my game and submitting it along with other info.

...is the GoG version the censored or uncensored version btw? Because my retail version is uncensored.

Do they consider this copy a sale? That might explain that jump in sales.

…is the GoG version the censored or uncensored version btw? Because my retail version is uncensored.

I don't think it matters. I'm pretty sure the "Director's Cut" patch makes all copies uncensored regardless of what version they were originally.

This is VERY useful for someone like me who just has the original release DVD. To install the game now I'd have to dl the patch for the ehanced edition and apply it over the original installation -- I did it once and it took 2 hours! With this 'backup copy' I will now have access just to a single installer which will provide me with a fully updated game.

Registered. Tricky to tell a 1 from an I with the font they used to print the key in the manual.

This might be handy when we get to the end of the Witcher saga. I can download them all and play them back to back!

This is VERY useful for someone like me who just has the original release DVD. To install the game now I'd have to dl the patch for the ehanced edition and apply it over the original installation — I did it once and it took 2 hours!
It's worse than that - if I remember correctly, the original registration server no longer exists, and the game is hard coded to point at it, so you can't ever download one of the intermediate patches to go from original release to EE. We got bitten by that at home and could only progress because I had a back up of the downloaded patch files.

Back
Top Bottom