Sacred 2 - Previews @ GameShark and Gaming Nexus

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Two new previews of Sacred 2 are online, at GameShark and GamingNexus. Here's a bit from the first, where the writer presumably hasn't spent much time with hack'n'slash action/RPGs:
One of the first things that jumped out at me is the method in which your character is controlled. For some reason developer Ascaron eschewed the familiar WASD keys in favor of the mouse. To navigate your character you must constantly hold down the left mouse button and drag the mouse in whatever direction you want to move. It felt odd for my left hand to sit idly by while my right hand did all the work. Even after an hour of playing, I never really got used to it. I also wasn’t too crazy by the limited capabilities of the camera. Yes, you can zoom in and out, but you can’t zoom in to first person point-of-view, nor can you tilt the camera’s angle. It's not a deal breaker, but just a bit odd.
...and the second:
In this 2,000-years-before-the-original prequel, I roam across the Caribbean blue coastlines of the High Elf region, grittier stone-stacked Human lands, marshlands, deserts, jungles, and wastelands. I climb the crystal-sparkling towers of the Seraphim, the pyramidal ziggurats of the Dryads, and the snow-less tundra that the Orcs call home. The landscapes are as varied as the dramatis personae, but erring more on the side of realism. And as my Shadow Warrior slays his way from corner to corner of the myriad countrysides, he also paces through intricately-detailed towns, well-populated capitol cities, and lonely farmsteads. And never once did I have a load screen impede my progress. The exploration is seamless, free-form, and hundreds-of-hours big.
More information.

One of the first things that jumped out at me is the method in which your character is controlled. For some reason developer Ascaron eschewed the familiar WASD keys in favor of the mouse.

Well, that reason is probably a little game series called Diablo, which used the mouse exclusively (for movement). Yes, it's hard to fathom why a Diablo clone would want to copy the control mechanic of the original. That's just good journalism.

But seriously, folks, I've been playing Titan Quest, which also uses the mouse to move. And I agree this is not the best way to do it. My brother just introduced me to Dungeon Runners so we could play some online co op (with voice! For five bucks!) and that game does use WASD. For melee characters, mouse-only is no biggie, but for ranged charaters, it's hard for me to transition back to TQ where I can't move one way and shoot the other.

In fast-paced games like TQ and Diablo (not so much Dungeon Runners, ironically), where you have to dodge projectiles and return fire, the mouse only control does make your life more difficult. So while I can understand why Sacred 2 might use it (copying Diablo), I think it would be better if they didn't.

Seriously, What The Hell? "Hi, I have no (that's zero) experience with the genre, but I'll write a review anyhow. Hell, I haven't even seen one of those ARPG played from afar." That takes balls, or something.

Seriously, What The Hell? "Hi, I have no (that's zero) experience with the genre, but I'll write a review anyhow. Hell, I haven't even seen one of those ARPG played from afar." That takes balls, or something.

It definitively looks at it from an different angle.

Which can lead into seeing things others don't see.

So, this is a method I believe is very good - but of course a game should be "counter-tested" by an expert as well, to avoid too many irregular results.

It definitively looks at it from an different angle.

Which can lead into seeing things others don't see.

Valid point, provided he has his facts right. In fact, you do not need to "hold and drag", as point and click works just fine. I like differing views as much as the next person, but I don't ask my dentist to repair my car.

I agree with Alrik. It´s perfectly fine if they choose somebody without genre experience to write the article, but they should hire someone to proofread the article.
Checking facts should of course always be done. Unfortunately that´s an common problem among game journalists. Many of them aren´t particularly good at it.

Back
Top Bottom