Dragon's Dogma - Being Adapted into an Anime

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A Netflix media release reports that Dragon's Dogma is being adapted into an anime.

Dragon's Dogma - Sublimation Inc.
Based on a world-famous action RPG set in an open world, Dragon's Dogma from CAPCOM will be brought to life as a Netflix original anime series. The story follows a man's journey seeking revenge on a dragon who stole his heart. On his way, the man is brought back to life as an 'Arisen'. An action adventure about a man challenged by demons who represent the seven deadly sins of humans.

[...]
More information.

Saw a news title starting with Dragon's Dogma and was all like:
"YESYESYESYES!!!!! New part announced, finally?!"

Read further… "adapted into an Anime":
f6due.gif

That's definitely rubbing salt in a wound.

I was nonono then saw "adapted anime".

There was already grinder2anime - Tales of Zestiria. Although they changed some story parts for anime version, the whole thing it's not bad at all.

Thus I find this a good news. While I couldn't care less about silly DD story, no grind is always welcome. I just wonder how they'll adapt rabbitkilling "sidequests" and how they'll explain rabbits appearing endlessly out of thin air.

f6due.gif

Same thing..Seems capcom is only able to sell remakes of old games now.

Netflix original anime tends to be on the good side of the anime spectrum quality. It's also not the first video game adaptation they finance (Castlevenia and Devil May Cry).

Reading the rest of the press release, Netflix is going to bring me more cyberpunk animes (Altered Carbon: Resleeved and a new Ghost in the Shell anime). Yes please!

The game was somewhat intriguing, but not a game I'd ever replay. As for a television version, not for me at all. They do have a huge rich world to explore, both above and below, but my appreciation for anime ended in the late eighties.

my appreciation for anime ended in the late eighties.
Sad to hear… You see, Nintendo Gameboy crap made in RPGmaker is still happening out there but that doesn't mean the time got stuck for numerous titles that use modern technology.
Same is with anime. While there are numerous rubbish titles that don't belong in this century but rather 80s, at the same time there are titles that'd be impossible to bring on screen 30-40 years ago.

In any case, when I hear "appreciation ended late 80s" that means only one thing.
You didn't watch or were too young to watch or your parents didn't want you to watch or you live in a country that censors anything unique: Wicked City.
Which is a shame. Today it's pretty much outdated and not nearly as interesting as 30 years ago so feel free to skippit unless you want to explore some missed history onscreen.
But it is offtopic, as we have separate anime thread and Wicked Ciity is not based on a videogame.

What's ontopic is that grinding trash is something that should be "appreciation ended late 80s". For some reason I will never understand, grinding (Fortnite, Apex Legends, Destiny&co) is still mainstream.

f6due.gif

I agree. To be fair though, I shouldn't have expected much from Capcom. =(

I agree. To be fair though, I shouldn't have expected much from Capcom. =(

The Dragon's Dogma director is also the director of the Devil May Cry series. He wanted to do Devil May Cry 5 first which released a few days ago everywhere (on PC and console).

The anime is clearly meant to be a marketing tool for a sequel game considering the timing (anime in 2020 or 2021 and new a game in 2022).

Hey, Robotech wasn't all bad! But my kinds of anime to enjoy were things along the lines of Golgo 13, and there was one featuring school age kids and the protagonist's parents were Superman and Wonder Woman. Darned if I can remember the title but that programme was not boring!!

I liked the movie Spirited Away. That's about the extent of my anime experience. :p

Capcom is the best! You always know their games will have AAA quality gameplay.

Don't care about anime, but I would buy DD2 without hesitation!

My first anime I watched was Robotech in the early 90's and never stopped since. I have watched every genre and can say it has tropes just like every book and movie.

So I might watch this on Netflix if it isn't SJWfied.:biggrin:

Last edited:
LOL, erm.. How exactly would even be possible to SJWfy grinding? :D

All I know is that SJWization of last Doctor Who season backfired.
Can't believe Netflix isn't aware of that.

All I know is that SJWization of last Doctor Who season backfired.
Can't believe Netflix isn't aware of that.
The agenda never stops and it never fails Joxer.:salute:

Movies made about games and games made about movies are always bad. Just keep away. You'll thank me later.

Movies made about games and games made about movies are always bad. Just keep away. You'll thank me later.
True just look at Uwe Boll and his various game to movie adaptations. Still despite the consensus seems to be they are all bad, I did enjoy watching some of them.

Back
Top Bottom