Fallout 4 Fallout 4 VR

figment

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Fallout 4 VR was released today 11/Dec/2017. Even though I bought Fallout 4 when it came out, I started creating tools to mod it but I never actually played it far enough to leave the starting vault. Over time I just never got back to it. So I wasted some more money and decided to buy Fallout 4 VR edition for good measure. I sort of wish Skyrim came first but I'll take what I can get.

I suppose this is an initial impression post. Curious how many others have VR and have picked it up and their impressions.

For reference, I have an HTC Vive and a GTX 1080 Ti and a small area to play in. My 1 hour impression so far is pretty positive. I already got further than the original game and left the vault though its not really saying much. The graphics could be sharper and I've seen better/smoother VR but it really is something to experience in proper 1st person mode. Also wonder if I need to tweak FOV or some other settings since I did get a little sick where I've had less issues in some other games.

Its not a perfect experience out of the gate. I think there is plenty of room for better mapping actions to controllers and hope this can be modded in easily. Being able to indicate what each pad does and where movement is and what not. So far I've settled in on using Left Handed mode even though I'm right handed as most comfortable. Teleport mode for movement isn't great especially since I seem to get winded fast and its a little jarring to constantly jump and I think having some sort of running mode would be nice. Their was some mode that I haven't tried that might help.

Struggled a little with melee combat so definitely will use easy mode initially which is what it defaults to. Since I'm using left handed mode, guns are in my left hand making for awkward aiming but so far I prefer movement control off my right hand as this setup does things.

While I do have some complaints I'm really looking forward to playing this as it should end up being the first RPG I've properly played in VR. Vorpx and other solutions didn't seem to work for any real length of time or Oculus updated drivers and broke the DX9 integration. I did play Skyrim at one point on the Oculus but it didn't have good controls or interaction so I decided to wait and never actually check back if mods made it any better.

Edit: Tried Direct Movement mode. That is vomit inducing if there ever was a mode for that. Stuck with teleport for now I think.

Last edited:
I'm planning on getting this eventually - but I don't really have room for a proper VR setup right now.

But it would be ideal for immersion purposes :)

I'll be having a go with this soon, I hope. I picked up an Oculus on sale, mainly so I can frighten people with the T Rex at Christmas (there's also a bomb disposal party game that looks good fun). Have to wait till someone mods in Oculus support for Fallout.

I'm awaiting the next gen of cards before upgrading hardware, as even the Ti apparently struggles at high settings in games like Project Cars 2, which is the sort of thing I'll want to play in the longer term.

Gave this a try, but decided to wait for next gen GPUs before trying to game properly with VR. The resolution really is quite poor on current headsets - they're not much more than a tech demo for the potential of VR, IMHO. A high degree of supersampling is required to get an acceptable image for proper gaming, and the current cards can't quite deliver it at consistent framerates.

I'll be having a go with this soon, I hope. I picked up an Oculus on sale, mainly so I can frighten people with the T Rex at Christmas (there's also a bomb disposal party game that looks good fun). ...

A truly noble purpose.

pibbur who wonders why VR things for PC are sooo much more explensive than mobile thingies.

A truly noble purpose.

pibbur who wonders why VR things for PC are sooo much more explensive than mobile thingies.

I don't honestly have any idea how they've implemented the mobile versions. We did have fun with it at Christmas. The Family Elders particularly enjoyed exploring the ocean depths, and we have some tremendous photographs.

A truly noble purpose.

Quality :)

That said, I recommend waiting a generation or two before investing.

We're soooo close to a point where VR can truly take off, but they have a few things to sort out before we get there.

Also, we still need a few AAA "killer games" designed exclusively for VR.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/8/16863136/new-htc-vive-pro-vr-headset-announced-ces-2018

This upgrade came sooner than I expected. We still have a few more steps to go before we're at the sweet spot - but this sounds pretty good.

In a couple of years, we should be just about there.

Though, again, we still need that handful of killer games developed entirely around VR.

Some games are easy to adapt for the platform, though. Elite Dangerous is a good example, even if the game itself is pretty boring.

Star Citizen could well end up being the first killer VR game ;)

How appropriate.

This one is also due, with a resolution of 4k per eye.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/20...al-version-of-its-8k-vr-headset-ces-2018.html

Early reviewers have been pretty excited about the quality. The trouble is, sticking super high res screens in the headsets isn't really a problem in itself, or even that expensive. It's that the GPU power needed to drive VR at the required quality is enormous by today's standards. It'll be a while before the requisite power is at sensible prices.

I had a go last night at getting Skyrim going in VR using the VorpX application, which tries to apply VR to existing games. It's not perfect, and again a lot more GPU power would be needed to get it where I'd want it… but holy moly! You can really see the potential. I could almost smell the forest, and just wanted to hike the mountains. I had to disable enemy AI, because the attacks were freaking me out, and I think I might have to mod giant spiders out of the game! :anxious:

Back
Top Bottom