Last game you finished, tell us about it

DKS is a solid game and I can agree with a 8/10. I might even give it a little more because I played it after a small dry spell, but it definitely has it flaws. I believe it runs on the Morrowind/Oblivion engine which I never really liked. The loading for each door you go through bothers me, while the running and jumping never felt satisfying to me.

Mass effect: Andromeda. Took me about 50 hours according to steam. Quest log is empty except for 5 smaller tasks that I can't be bothered about. Enough has been said about MEA so I'll just give the highlights:
- driving around on the planets was fun (unlike ME1)
- as an arcade shooter solid but way too easy
- too many irrelevant quests and grinding
- not as polished
- I actually liked the story
The fact that the arks left before the ending of ME3 makes sense and fits nicely.

In sum, nice arcade shooter but mediocre RPG.

I completed Shining Force the first (well, not really the first but the one that came after the Darkness game), and just like the other four or five times I played this one through, I had a great time. I look at the twenty or so games that are waiting for me that I've never played, and then I glance at Shining Force the second, and....well, off I go!!!!

Really, if you like good, solid tactical combat, some secrets along the way and a huge roster to choose from, this game is pretty spectacular. Of course, you'll have to tolerate older graphics as well.

After being distracted for other games (among them, Fallout 1.5 Resurrection mod which I do recommend), I finally finished Horizon: Zero Dawn (and its expansion Frozen Wilds) a couple of days ago.

If you still don't know, I've already shared my thoughts about H:ZD in the thread Horizon: Zero Dawn Review (yes, I created that thread before finishing the game and my review and score still stand). Should you wanna discuss about H:ZD, I recommend posting there.

Hero-U road of Redemption - can't say too much it was a quick play from start to end:
I kicked the bloody puss
I opened the bloody door

Hero-U road of Redemption - can't say too much it was a quick play from start to end:
I kicked the bloody puss
I opened the bloody door

Stupid that spoilers are revealed when you quote..... Anyway:

How long did it take, approximately?

Last game I finished was Infamous for the PS3. It was immensely entertaining. Don't know why or when I became so snobbish about console games. I bought a PS3 off eBay about two months ago for $40 and I'm catching up on shit I missed all these years, like Yakuza 4.

Just finished Last years Tomb Raider. Great fun and Stella’s tomb raider site has saves before/after most critical QTE or button mashing sequences so my (VERY DODGY) hands and wrists are very thankful and I can enjoy the game.

I played and finished Hero-U over the last week. I completed it in 22 hours, according to Steam. It was a nostalgic adventure/rpg/puzzle game very much in the vein of the Quest for Glory games from Sierra(same developers). The backstory is that you are training to be a rogue in a school for heroes, which is set in a somewhat haunted castle. There are callbacks to the previous games. The graphics are cartoonish and serviceable. There was some time management where I had to prioritize between questing, training and exploring. I certainly missed some of it although it's probably possible to see all of it with prior knowledge. I heartily recommend it to fans of the old QfG games.

I completed Shining Force the second yesterday for maybe the fourth or fifth time, and it still stands as a great game. I'm not sure which one I prefer more, the first or the second, so I simply try to enjoy both equally. I think the roster of the second game may be a bit stronger, while the initial game might have the superior story line. Either way, you cannot go wrong with these games if you enjoy tactical combat, and I'm still surprised to this very day that there are not more games in this series.

'Finished' For the King. As a rogue you never really finished it but I manage to complete the main campaign successfully. The game is kind of interesting but has a few gui annoyances. My biggest two complaints is that you can't map cr to end turn (very minor) and you can't use esc to close windows with 'x' (like inventory). Those windows require that you click on the 'x'. I used kb/m obviously and while it has controller support i can't comment on that aspect.

Long term I could see playing a little more in some of the other modes but the limited mechanics and limited number of events/items suggest I will not spend too much more time playing. Steam shows that I spent about 20 hours playing (number taken with a grain of salt since I frequently multi-task or other wise go idle for long period of times). However the fun factor was very high.
-
The game has a few unique features (or at least unique for the set of games I play):
First as you play you can find item called 'lore'. You can use this 'lore' to unlock features in the game like new events, items and cosmetic stuff. Think of find 'lore' to win instead of 'pay' to win. It also has two negative sets of global effects one called Chaos and the other being Villians (I forget the in game name). These effects last until you destroy them and some of them can be quite harsh. Chaos is a creep feature which has 4 levels of effect (0 none, 1 increase in difficulty, 2 more difficult, 3 much more difficult and -10 hp per turn). If you allow chaos to reach 3 you might become rushed to do things to remove the chaos. Conversely you can kill both villians and chaos before they actually occur which is a nice feature (think of it as a delay feature).
-
You can die some number of times before game over and you can stock up on lives doing certain events. If all party members (you have 3) die game over.
-
The game has no scout feature so switching between immunity items isn't very easy.
-
I think that's the gist - recommended - have fun and sorry for the wall of text.

Another annoyance of that game was the situational swapping of items. Like equipping the torch when you move to see farther, swap to another item when ending the turn and so on.

Also I recommend to check out the other campaigns which were actually much easier if I remember correctly. The first one gives constant pressure with the...chaos stuff or whatever it was called.

The main campaign was not ideal to learn the game (well, ok, I am also always playing on highest difficulty right away).

Regarding the Lore unlocks: You'd expect they do much, but they don't. I mean a few ones do quite a lot, like the unlockable classes (essential healer class was locked at the start if I remember correctly) but otherwise it's acutally quite disappointing. You already unlocked most of the usefull stuff after a couple of hours.

No clue what you are talking about with regards to torch. Perhaps that is part of a different campaign but not relevant to the 'for the king' campaign….

It is. The Torch is a rather bad weapon, but it offers +1 vision. If you are lucky you can purchase it in the first 2 cities, which makes your start of the game significantly easier.

Didn't see it didn't use it; However what you are describing could also be done with luck items - for my play style I didn't mess with any of that stuff but I didn't play on the hardest difficulty. I suspect I would find the hardest difficulty excessively tedious which might lead to bragging rights but kill the 'fun' factor (well kill it for myself).

It is. The Torch is a rather bad weapon, but it offers +1 vision. If you are lucky you can purchase it in the first 2 cities, which makes your start of the game significantly easier.

Yep, same issue with the luck items (which you could equip for the carnival thingy you can unlock). Didn't use them though. Mostly swapped around torches (and some other item with the same effect) and I think some ring or so which gave support distance, so that the character could just equip the item when out of range to be able to join the combat nevertheless.

I finished Ash of Gods last night, and I found it pretty good and fun. If you enjoy the looks and functionality of games like Banner Saga, then this one will be quite familiar, in a good way. You have three people/groups that you play as the game progresses, often switching roles as the chapters advance.

The story is maybe not quite as tight as, say, the Banner Saga ones are. With that said, the mechanics are solid, once you get an understanding of just how they function. One issue that I did have was the save system, you cannot simply save when you want, but that only caused distress one time, other than that the system saves quite often on its own.

I did find the difficulty on this game a bit challenging, at least in the beginning. Once you get a feel for it and how the turn system works both for your team and the opposition, most everything will fall into place. I would say that you might not want to simply start out on the highest difficulty in the very beginning, unless you enjoy sweating a lot!!!

Thanks to this Forum for awarding me this game recently, it is totally worth the monies. If you enjoy the style, get it!!!

I finished Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines for the first time last week. I really enjoyed it, it was a great experience. The atmosphere in particular was stand-out. The areas were a good size (not too big or small) and packed with interesting locations. I particularly liked Downtown, with its dark skyscrapers and gothic church nightclubs. I also wasn't expecting character creation to be as interesting, with lots of skills. Choosing your vampire tribe seemed to offer real impact on the gameplay - in the end I went with a high society vampire with good mind domination skills, but who couldn't feed off rat blood or beggars etc. It turned out to be a challenging (but fun) restriction.

The story was well pitched and it wasn't obvious where it was going. Side quests were great, often surprising, and a joy to find - it felt possible to miss content, and I'm sure I did, which made finding it rewarding. The characters were also brilliant - really memorable and generally well voice acted.

On the downside, combat was a bit poor, the inventory system was clumsy, it wasn't possibly to customise your character's appearance beyond gender and tribe, and the quality dipped a bit towards the end game. The last dungeon I played was particularly poor, it just felt like a big area filled with filler combat and little variety in the way you could approach it.

These are minor complaints overall though. I'll definitely be going back to it at some point (perhaps as a Nosferatu next time, skulking around in the sewers and trying to avoid being seen!).

These are minor complaints overall though. I'll definitely be going back to it at some point (perhaps as a Nosferatu next time, skulking around in the sewers and trying to avoid being seen!).
Also consider trying out a Malkavian for lots of bonus uh.. insight.

Banner Saga 3:

I finished Banner Saga 3. It is much like the previous 2; story heavy with choices to be made. Many of the choices have consequences - some obvious some not so obvious. The game mechanics are pretty much the same as the previous 2 so if you did not like those you will not like this one. I did not replay 1 and 2 so some of the finer details of the story were forgotten (I'll probably replay all three in a couple of months).

I encountered no major known bugs (obviously there could be some bugs related to how choices were made that I missed); but there are some folks who are having technical issues.
-
I was unhappy with my ending but no spoilers here. All in all if you like a story heavy game (much as 1 and 2) then this will not disappoint but if you were looking for major changes in game or combat mechanics - don't look here.

Back
Top Bottom