What Game Should I Play Next?

The Hard Reset demo was great fun. This coming from a Painkiller fan, although I prefer the more open levels of Painkiller/Serious Sam rather than the corridors that were in the Hard Reset demo.

OK, I finished Ultima Underworld. Great game. I was originally planning to play UU II afterwards, but I am tired of the laggy UI. :/

I am gravitating towards one of the following:

Alpha Protocol
Batman: Arkham City
Blade of Darkness
Crysis
Dead Space 2
Drakensang 2
Dungeon Siege II
Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords
Gothic 1
Hard Reset
Mass Effect

But here is my full list. I'd like to know if there is another classic I should prioritize.

Age of Wonders II: The Wizard's Throne
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
AI War: Fleet Command
Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded
Alien Shooter: Revisited
Alpha Protocol
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Anachronox
Arx Fatalis
Assassin's Creed II
Avencast: Rise of the Mage
Avernum 4
Avernum 6
Betrayal at Krondor
BioShock 2
Blade of Darkness
Bulletstorm
Commandos 2: Men of Courage
Commandos 3: Destination Berlin
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines / Beyond the Call of Duty
Crusader Kings II
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Crysis Wars
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Dead Space 2
Demigod
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Disciples II: Gallean's Return
Disciples II: Rise of the Elves
Doom Collector's Edition
Drakensang: The River of Time
Dungeon Siege
Dungeon Siege II
Dungeon Siege III
Elven Legacy: Magic
Elven Legacy: Ranger
Elven Legacy: Siege
Empire Earth: Gold Edition
Eschalon: Book I
Eschalon: Book II
Europa Universalis III
Europa Universalis III: Heir to the Throne
Europa Universalis III: In Nomine
Europa Universalis III: Napoleon's Ambition
Evochron Mercenary
Fantasy General
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
Full Spectrum Warrior
Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar
Geneforge
Geneforge 3
Geneforge 4: Rebellion
Gothic
Gothic 3
Gothic II: Night of the Raven
Guild Wars
Hard Reset
Hearts of Iron II: Collection
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Heroes of Might and Magic III: Armageddon's Blade
Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Shadow of Death
Heroes of Might and Magic V: Tribes of the East
Homeworld
Jagged Alliance
Jagged Alliance 2
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
King Arthur II: The Role-Playing Wargame
King Arthur: The Druids
King Arthur: The Role-Playing Wargame
Legend of Grimrock
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares
Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven
Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor
Mount & Blade
Mount & Blade: Warband
Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword
Overlord
Overlord II
Overlord: Raising Hell
Painkiller: Overdose
Painkiller: Redemption
Painkiller: Resurrection
Patrician III: Rise of the Hanse
Penumbra: Black Plague
Penumbra: Overture
Penumbra: Requiem
Portal
Realms of Arkania III: Shadows Over Riva
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny
Realms of Arkania: Star Trail
Realms of the Haunting
Return to Krondor
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Sacred
Sacred Underworld
Sins of a Solar Empire
Space Rangers 2: Rise of the Dominators
SpellForce 2: Dragon Storm
SpellForce 2: Shadow Wars
SpellForce: Shadow of the Phoenix
SpellForce: The Breath of Winter
SpellForce: The Order of Dawn
Star Wars TIE Fighter: Collector's CD-ROM
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
The Elder Scrolls: Chapter II - Daggerfall
The Forgotten Realms Archive
The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth
The Stronghold Collection
The Void
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Thief: The Dark Project
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Torchlight
Two Worlds
Ultima IV
Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth Of Worlds
Victoria II
Victoria: Complete
Warlock: Master of the Arcane
X: Beyond the Frontier
X2: The Threat
X3: Albion Prelude
X3: Reunion
X-Tension
Zombie Shooter

Last edited:
That is big list.If you go for Galactic civilizations II play last expansion(twilight of arnor) right away because it adds completely unique tech tree and buildings for each race.If you want to play something shooty I would suggest to skip hard reset since you have lot of much better shooters on your list(crysis,stalker:call of pripyat,bioshock 2).Same goes for dungeon siege 2 it's good game but you have LOT better games on your list.Personally I think that starting Gothic series would be best.

Gothic is definitely a good choice. I'd also consider Mass Effect soonish - before it gets too old and loses some of its cinematic appeal - which is a major part of the experience.

If that's really your backlog, I don't feel nearly so bad about mine. ;)

In spite of the slobbering around here, I've never been able to get into Gothic. I've tried a few times and never got much beyond the New Camp. That's just me, though. I spent a lot of time with Dungeon Siege 2. It's somewhat mindless entertainment, but it's a good bit of fun for a complete-ist as the exploration is very well done and each hireling has their own story arc (which means you hire and fire all of them once or twice to get each of them thru their arc). I got a debilitating addiction to collecting ALL the unique set items, which helped drag me by the nose. If you've played Diablo, you'll find a lot in common.

Of your longer list, MM6 and MM7 are obvious choices. The Eschalon games are also good fun. If you're looking for something different, Space Rangers 2 does a very good job of slapping together TBS, RTS, RPG, and even a touch of adventure into something that somehow managed to work very well. Bioshock2 was good fun as well. While the environment/atmosphere isn't quite as engrossing simply because you've been there before, it still makes for a great experience. Like I did with Bioshock1, I played on easy because I wasn't interested in the shooter aspects of the game, so I can't really say whether Bioshock2 fixed some of the complaints shooter gurus had with the first edition.

Thanks all! I figured I would be berated here for not playing Gothic 1 yet. I think I got off rather easy. ;)

I stopped reading at Gothic.

After two "first person" fantasy roleplayers (Ultima Under World: The Stygian Abyss and Undercroft) I am somewhat at underwhelmed at the prospect of playing another. Yet another delay for Gothic 1 I'm afraid…

That is big list.

And after checking my shelf I have left a couple off. And now I can't remember. :/ Must have been second tier. ;)

If you go for Galactic civilizations II play last expansion(twilight of arnor) right away because it adds completely unique tech tree and buildings for each race.

Good to know. Thanks!

If you want to play something shooty I would suggest to skip hard reset since you have lot of much better shooters on your list(crysis,stalker:call of pripyat,bioshock 2).

Yeah, I was thinking Crysis would be a good pick for a change of pace from fantasy roleplaying.

I'd also consider Mass Effect soonish - before it gets too old and loses some of its cinematic appeal - which is a major part of the experience.

OK, I guess if I want a more passive experience while I bake pies or something then? Advice taken. :)

If that's really your backlog, I don't feel nearly so bad about mine. ;)

It's Steam's fault (not to mention X3:TC and my completionism). ;)

I spent a lot of time with Dungeon Siege 2. It's somewhat mindless entertainment, but it's a good bit of fun for a complete-ist as the exploration is very well done and each hireling has their own story arc (which means you hire and fire all of them once or twice to get each of them thru their arc). I got a debilitating addiction to collecting ALL the unique set items, which helped drag me by the nose. If you've played Diablo, you'll find a lot in common.

Of your longer list, MM6 and MM7 are obvious choices. The Eschalon games are also good fun. If you're looking for something different, Space Rangers 2 does a very good job of slapping together TBS, RTS, RPG, and even a touch of adventure into something that somehow managed to work very well. Bioshock2 was good fun as well. While the environment/atmosphere isn't quite as engrossing simply because you've been there before, it still makes for a great experience. Like I did with Bioshock1, I played on easy because I wasn't interested in the shooter aspects of the game, so I can't really say whether Bioshock2 fixed some of the complaints shooter gurus had with the first edition.

All good suggestions, since we share similar tastes in gaming, these help me think about it.

My experience with the tedious back and forth of collecting and filling rooms with loot through the levels of mazes in UU I is definitely steering me towards something that has no chance of tickling my inventory management madness compulsion.

After two "first person" fantasy roleplayers (Ultima Under World: The Stygian Abyss and Undercroft) I am somewhat at underwhelmed at the prospect of playing another. Yet another delay for Gothic 1 I'm afraid…
Gothic 1 isn´t "first person", thus your excuse doesn´t stand, I´m afraid… :).

Also, that list is too fucking big, with a lot of rather obviously good games.
I´ll just give some support to Drakensang 2 - party based combat, a solid character system that gets good use in the game (non combat abilities included), some multiple quest solutions and minor C&C, a very good balance between gameplay elements (combat, exploration, dialogues, puzzles), good production values and refreshingly non-"epic!" storyline. About 30 hours of fairly oldschool-y experience unusually devoid of filler.

OK, I guess if I want a more passive experience while I bake pies or something then?
Dealing with the game´s crappy combat, amazingly bad inventory system and urge to slog through all those copy pasted planetary side quests should keep you on your toes :).
On a slightly more serious note, the game is otherwise about running around and soakin´ in the atmosphere, getting acquainted with the setting (via questing, dialogue wheeling or reading the codex), while progressing through a well constructed story which eventually leads to a really well put together last act. It´s not like you´re in for watching 10 hours of cutscenes or something.

Last edited:
OK, I finished Ultima Underworld. Great game. I was originally planning to play UU II afterwards, but I am tired of the laggy UI. :/

I am gravitating towards one of the following:

Alpha Protocol
Blade of Darkness
Crysis
Dead Space 2
Dungeon Siege II
Gothic 1
Hard Reset
Mass Effect

But here is my full list. I'd like to know if there is another classic I should prioritize.

Age of Wonders II: The Wizard's Throne
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
AI War: Fleet Command
Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded
Alien Shooter: Revisited
Alpha Protocol
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Anachronox
Arx Fatalis
Assassin's Creed II
Avencast: Rise of the Mage
Avernum 4
Avernum 6
Betrayal at Krondor
BioShock 2
Blade of Darkness
Bulletstorm
Commandos 2: Men of Courage
Commandos 3: Destination Berlin
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines / Beyond the Call of Duty
Crusader Kings II
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Crysis Wars
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Dead Space 2
Demigod
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Disciples II: Gallean's Return
Disciples II: Rise of the Elves
Doom Collector's Edition
Drakensang: The River of Time
Dungeon Siege
Dungeon Siege II
Dungeon Siege III
Elven Legacy: Magic
Elven Legacy: Ranger
Elven Legacy: Siege
Empire Earth: Gold Edition
Eschalon: Book I
Eschalon: Book II
Europa Universalis III
Europa Universalis III: Heir to the Throne
Europa Universalis III: In Nomine
Europa Universalis III: Napoleon's Ambition
Evochron Mercenary
Fantasy General
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
Full Spectrum Warrior
Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar
Geneforge
Geneforge 3
Geneforge 4: Rebellion
Gothic
Gothic 3
Gothic II: Night of the Raven
Guild Wars
Hard Reset
Hearts of Iron II: Collection
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Heroes of Might and Magic III: Armageddon's Blade
Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Shadow of Death
Heroes of Might and Magic V: Tribes of the East
Homeworld
Jagged Alliance
Jagged Alliance 2
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
King Arthur II: The Role-Playing Wargame
King Arthur: The Druids
King Arthur: The Role-Playing Wargame
Legend of Grimrock
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares
Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven
Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor
Mount & Blade
Mount & Blade: Warband
Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword
Overlord
Overlord II
Overlord: Raising Hell
Painkiller: Overdose
Painkiller: Redemption
Painkiller: Resurrection
Patrician III: Rise of the Hanse
Penumbra: Black Plague
Penumbra: Overture
Penumbra: Requiem
Portal
Realms of Arkania III: Shadows Over Riva
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny
Realms of Arkania: Star Trail
Realms of the Haunting
Return to Krondor
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Sacred
Sacred Underworld
Sins of a Solar Empire
Space Rangers 2: Rise of the Dominators
SpellForce 2: Dragon Storm
SpellForce 2: Shadow Wars
SpellForce: Shadow of the Phoenix
SpellForce: The Breath of Winter
SpellForce: The Order of Dawn
Star Wars TIE Fighter: Collector's CD-ROM
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
The Elder Scrolls: Chapter II - Daggerfall
The Forgotten Realms Archive
The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth
The Stronghold Collection
The Void
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Thief: The Dark Project
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Torchlight
Two Worlds
Ultima IV
Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth Of Worlds
Victoria II
Victoria: Complete
Warlock: Master of the Arcane
X: Beyond the Frontier
X2: The Threat
X3: Albion Prelude
X3: Reunion
X-Tension
Zombie Shooter

I suggest Bioshock 2. Then Hard Reset. Both great games with beautiful environments.

Alpha Protocol is fun as well. I tried Mass Effect 1, but the UI is kind of glitchy compared to the later games and I stopped playing after a while.

I do not recommend Arkham City at all. It took me hours just to install the game due to annoying GFWL and at least three different accounts you have to sign up for, including a completely useless hotmail account, even though I bought the game on Steam and was already logged in to the Steam client. Finally, I was able to play, but I couldn't save. After the intro, it was great to see an open sandbox environment, but you can't enter any of the buildings. As a result, it's a very shallow game world and gliding around beating up thugs repeatedly gets very old after a couple hours. I regret buying this one.

Gothic 1 isn´t "first person", thus your excuse doesn´t stand, I´m afraid… :).

Ah, good catch. A stronger reason to avoid Gothic 1 for now. Third person, yuck. ;)

I´ll just give some support to Drakensang 2 - party based combat, a solid character system that gets good use in the game (non combat abilities included), some multiple quest solutions and minor C&C, a very good balance between gameplay elements (combat, exploration, dialogues, puzzles), good production values and refreshingly non-"epic!" storyline. About 30 hours of fairly oldschool-y experience unusually devoid of filler.

Yep, that should have been on my short list. Will correct that.

Regarding Mass Effect, which DLCs are recommended? Given that I am NOT interested in paying a fortune in DLCs for any game. :/

Play Crysis. Install a couple of graphics mod / updated textures to make the most beautiful game ever (tm) look even better. Some of the open world levels are outstanding. The first 2/3rd have exceptionally high replay value for a shooter, because most levels are open and the the nano suit allows for both stealth and brute force gameplay.

After that play Alpha Protocol. Don't forget this is an RPG mapped to a 3rd person shooter. It's normal that you can't hit shit in the beginning.

Thanks! Will my 3.5 year old XP machine handle the CPU and GPU requirements for Crysis+mods?

CPU Q9300 (Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor, 6M L2 Cache, 1333 MHz FSB) @ 2.53 GHz, 3.48 GB RAM
GPU ATI FIREPRO M7740, 1 GB DDR5

Or should I wait for my new supercharged Win 7 machine?

The CPU should be okay. I don't know how fast your graphics card is though.

Ah, good catch. A stronger reason to avoid Gothic 1 for now. Third person, yuck. ;)
Oops.
Regarding Mass Effect, which DLCs are recommended? Given that I am NOT interested in paying a fortune in DLCs for any game. :/
There are only 2 DLCs for ME1 and of those the only one worth having, Bring Down the Sky, is free.

Thanks! How about ME2? I don't have ME3.

List of ME2 DLC.

I'd recommend…

• Zaeed - The Price of Revenge
  • Kasumi - Stolen Memory
  • Overlord
  • Lair of the Shadow Broker
  • Arrival

Personally, I found Zaeed and Kasumi to be a waste. They are ridiculously short and essentially add one extra companion character that I never used.

Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker were the best, IMO. Never heard of the Arrival DLC.

Thanks! How about ME2?
First and foremost, AFAIK all DLCs can be added to an ongoing playthrough without issues so I´d suggest considering any of them only after you´ve already played the game for a while.
Roughly 1/3 into the game, there´s a point where the rest of the galaxy starts to open up (and 2 of the DLCs can´t be played before that point anyway) and by that time you should have pretty clear picture how much you´re enjoying the game or not so that might be a good time to decide about the DLCs :).
From the best to worst I´d rank them: Lair of the Shadowbroker, Overlord, Kasumi, Arrival. Out of these, I´d say only Arrival is bad and only Shadowbroker is a must-have.
I´ve already made a quite embarrassingly long-winded post about these here.
Zaeed is indeed a rather low content DLC, but should be free if you have a new copy of the game (and personally I think the dude is a cool character).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom