Some Picks.:)

Ash of Gods
Diluvion
Into the Breach
Kenshi
Long Gone Days
Legrand Legacy: Tale of the Fatebounds
Moonlighter

I guess the Indie Showcase is ideally looking for the next Knights of the Chalice, Geneforge or Eschalon type game. I haven't seen those recently, but I've been playing a number of Indie games that I consider RPG hybrids, and here are two that I really like:

- Zombasite: Steven Peeler's action RPG / clan management hybrid. He's making a new game now but I'm still waiting for it to release properly.

- Tangledeep: dungeon crawler with roguelike elements and a jobs system, allowing you to reclass any way you like. It's much ligher in style than, say, a Diablo, but I see a lot of similarities in its systems

And one I have not played, but would be very curious to see reviewed here: Graveyard Keeper.

Ash of Gods was a pretty good game, very similar to the Banner Saga series. It started off rather easy, then got a bit more difficult as you got deeper in. Really decent game, worth every cent you'll pay for it.

Is there any restriction on when the game must have been released?
Because if 2014 is ok I'd throw Halfway in, a tactical RPG with rather easy combat, rather shallow character development, but a great atmosphere and also a great pacing, mixing RPG and tactical elements.
It's rather short, (<20 hours) and has 76% of 433 reviews positive
They also seem to be very communicative and released some stats of their game 1 year after release. https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30150
They are also currently doing another game called Pathway.

Another suggestion I'd have is Tahira, released in 2016 which however is no RPG at all despite being tagged as such and being mentioned on RPGwatch news. It basically has no character development, but a very good combat system which was a lot of fun.
It's also rather short <30h and has 67% of 61 Reviews positive which I guess is kind of understandable because people probably just expected something different.

Forgot about another Unity RPG called Masquerada: Songs and Shadows.

Link - https://store.steampowered.com/app/459090/Masquerada_Songs_and_Shadows/
Masquerada is a single-player tactical RPG set in a Renaissance-inspired city of magic, where real-time combat can be paused to set up elemental combos powered by Venetian-styled masks. Come for gorgeous hand-drawn art; stay for the rich lore & a thoughtful, fully-voiced tale of intrigue & tragedy.

Forgot about another Unity RPG called Masquerada: Songs and Shadows.

Link - https://store.steampowered.com/app/459090/Masquerada_Songs_and_Shadows/

That look good!!
Instabuy!

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198019867041/recommended/459090/
1. the checkpoint system: It is setup in a way that you have to repeat the same combat over and over if you fail the 2nd fight in a row.
2. the checkpoint system: due to the constant micro management in combat, I often end up with hurting hands after only 1 combat and I'd like to quit the game for a bit to recover them from the strain of the micromanagement. But, unless there happens to be a checkpoint after a fight I'd just have to repeat that fight if I did that
Avoidware.

Is it really?

There is this a bit old story about a boy who gets recognized as a talented games developer. He gets hired by the gamesmaking authority and then, the first day at work, the life gets a twist.
Please do me a favor. Don't buy everything, just the third chapter (planet games), check what the boy finds out, the price for this masterpiece is a steal on comixology (digital comic platform):
https://www.comixology.com/Technopriests-Sale/page/6498

Of course if you find the setup interesting, the whole thing is one of those musthaves in the home library, but I'd suggest getting it on paper.

Is there any restriction on when the game must have been released?
Because if 2014 is ok I'd throw Halfway in, a tactical RPG with rather easy combat, rather shallow character development, but a great atmosphere and also a great pacing, mixing RPG and tactical elements.
It's rather short, (<20 hours) and has 76% of 433 reviews positive
They also seem to be very communicative and released some stats of their game 1 year after release. https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30150
They are also currently doing another game called Pathway.

Another suggestion I'd have is Tahira, released in 2016 which however is no RPG at all despite being tagged as such and being mentioned on RPGwatch news. It basically has no character development, but a very good combat system which was a lot of fun.
It's also rather short <30h and has 67% of 61 Reviews positive which I guess is kind of understandable because people probably just expected something different.

There are no restrictions, but we'll tend towards more actual games given the choice.
I supported Tahira on Kickstarter. They initially planned it as an rpg, but decided part way into to have the main characters have all their skills from the start. I kind of think they might have initially planned more skills, but didn't execute them for budget reasons. I liked the game, but didn't love it. Its something we might consider down the line.

I've almost forgotten about Tahira. Wasn't it supposed to be the first game planned out of three. I could be wrong but I thought that was mentioned in the kickstarter.:thinking:

Anyway some more picks.

1. Fell Seal: Arbiter’s Mark
  2. Children of Zodiarcs
  3. Cosmic Star Heroine
  4. Krai Mira: Extended Cut
  5. YIIK: A Postmodern RPG
  6. Eitr

I've almost forgotten about Tahira. Wasn't it supposed to be the first game planned out of three. I could be wrong but I thought that was mentioned in the kickstarter.:thinking:

Yeah, I think I saw something about that. Doesn't seem to happen though. Guess the first game wasn't very successful, and there hasn't been any activity by developers on Forums, their Webpage or Facebook. On Facebook somebody pushed some link to steam at christmas, but that's it.

Maybe even more interesting to talk about the project as some kind of "failed" experiment.

How about Aeons of Sand? It seems to be struggling for coverage and sales and could probably do with a boost.

I've only spent a little time playing it myself. I loved the art, and the early dungeons were interesting to explore. I wasn't such a fan of the combat (real time dungeon crawler style) but I was definitely intrigued and enjoying myself. I intend to go back to it for a proper run when I finish Pathfinder (which at the rate I'm playing games might be some time….)

I didn't like the combat either and also found the rest of the game not too great without going into detail at that point.

However they certainly would appreciate more coverage and are actually quite talkative and have some "different" perspectives.

Thing is whether you want to make the showcase about the game itself as showcase, or getting interesting interviews. Imho they are rather a very good candidate outside of this showcase format.

Back
Top Bottom