Skyrim Skyrim DLC Speculation?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch
So far what we know about the Skyrim DLC is based on a few quotes from Todd Howard in the September 2011 PSM3 magazine article:

Todd Howard: I don't know what we're going to do yet, but we want to do something that costs a bit more but is going to be more of a complete package....we're thinking bigger than with Fallout 3.

Any ideas on what this means?

Perhaps an expansion like a Bloodmoon 2.0 involving a visit to some region with lycanthropy?

Or a visit to one of the realms of Oblivion we have never seen before, in the vein of Shivering Isle?

As for location, how about the island of Roscrea? Or perhaps a return to Atmora, the ancestral home of man and the Nedic people.

Yeah, I was thinking um, get the game first.

But as long as it's more substantial than horse armor it's fine by me. And I'd prefer they didn't do day 1 DLC as I find that rather insulting.

Also, didn't I read something about some DLC for Skyrim being XBox exclusive for a month or some such?

Yes I think we have to wait 30 days for DLC after they are released on Xbox (for those of us playing on PC or PS3).

Of course I'm excited about the game, but also interested to know your thoughts about the DLC, considering what we know about the location and lore of Skyrim.

Well for pure speculation, I think visiting Solstheim again would be nice for nostalgia's sake. I imagine given the events in the books it would be populated by Dark Elves now.

I'll most definetly buy Skyrim.
I'll most definetly NOT buy any it's DLC.

At the very least, this means less of a likelihood of horse armor'esque DLC... which is a good thing. It's a sad day indeed when it appears Bethesda is overtaking Bioware in terms of ...dignity, for lack of a better term.

Why is that? Because of the 30 day delay?

Not at all, the modding community makes far better enhancements and add-ons than anything DLC that Bethesda has ever made combined. Plus they're free, so why pay for overpriced and usually not so great DLC...

yeah horse armour, magic tomes and orrery were weak, but in their defence the whole dlc concept was quite new then. DLC isn't necessarily a bad thing. So if they release anything like Shivering isles or Knights of the nine as dlc content…i won't hesitate a second.

I'm still in doubt of buying Skyrim at day one 'cause of the stupid mini expansions 'already planned' or what else...
Is it too bad to do just like From Software, which delivers the game as it is, without stupid content or annoying DLCs?
Anyway, I hope that the expansion will be more like Shivering Isles, and not just like horse armors (who uses horses in Skyrim btw? I'm gonna explore just by feet ;)).

I'm still in doubt of buying Skyrim at day one 'cause of the stupid mini expansions 'already planned' or what else…
Is it too bad to do just like From Software, which delivers the game as it is, without stupid content or annoying DLCs?
Anyway, I hope that the expansion will be more like Shivering Isles, and not just like horse armors (who uses horses in Skyrim btw? I'm gonna explore just by feet ;)).

I think they would only do horse armor as a joke at this point. It was one of the very first DLC ever released for any game, so they really didn't know at the time how to price things like that and what people would want.

Pete Hines said as a joke for April Fools recently they reduced the price for all Oblivion DLC to half-price, except they increased Horse Armor to like $20 or something (strictly as a joke), but some people still bought the Horse Armor.

I think they should stick to things that are more difficult for the community to produce, like fully voice acted quests. Item DLC are pretty worthless to me in a game with a construction set and a robust modding community. They are absolutely the easiest type of mods to make, especially compared to all the work that goes into creating a quest.

I think they would only do horse armor as a joke at this point. It was one of the very first DLC ever released for any game, so they really didn't know at the time how to price things like that and what people would want.

Pete Hines said as a joke for April Fools recently they reduced the price for all Oblivion DLC to half-price, except they increased Horse Armor to like $20 or something (strictly as a joke), but some people still bought the Horse Armor.

Joke or not, I still don't like the mini expansions politics: look at From Software and what they said about Dark Souls and you understand what I'm saying.
If you want to pay me (again) for the same game, release something like Shivering Isles and I'll be perfectly fine.
And regarding the DLC speculation, I really hope that this time we get expansions like that, that REALLY adds something, and not just items or 1-hour quests.

I think they should stick to things that are more difficult for the community to produce, like fully voice acted quests. Item DLC are pretty worthless to me in a game with a construction set and a robust modding community. They are absolutely the easiest type of mods to make, especially compared to all the work that goes into creating a quest.

Joke or not, I still don't like the mini expansions politics: look at From Software and what they said about Dark Souls and you understand what I'm saying.
If you want to pay me (again) for the same game, release something like Shivering Isles and I'll be perfectly fine.
And regarding the DLC speculation, I really hope that this time we get expansions like that, that REALLY adds something, and not just items or 1-hour quests.

Although item packs might be interesting for people who are playing the console version, I would agree that for a game with such a robust modding community, they seem a bit pointless. However, they probably don't require too much dev resources and we are all free to simply not buy it.

In any case, fortunately, it has been reported by Todd Howard that we should expect to see DLC that are "bigger than" Fallout 3 DLC.

I really hope so Count, but for me, even FO3 expansions were a bit too tiny… I still do the comparison with Shivering Isles, which adds more of the same, but it's really MORE, and not just a nice quest of 5 hours at the best (Point Lookout for example).
And regarding adding item packs, it would be a big plus if they concentrate on a sort of story, a reason to get them!
Pick Mehrunes' Razor for example: only one big item (the dagger), and you have to go to the cavern, kill the necromancers, and obtain 'phat loot': it's still too much simplicistic, but it's better than retrieving items in your inventory from nothing :D.

Back
Top Bottom