The Science Thread

Huh, looks like global warming has a few side benefits...and isn't all bad...:biggrin:

Now we just need mosquitoes, cockroaches and flies to be wiped out, and I'll be happy.

Just another article I read today. Posted to share for those interested.

Link - https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/02/190220112221.htm
Total human carbon dioxide emissions could match those of Earth's last major greenhouse warming event in fewer than five generations, new research finds. A new study finds humans are pumping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere at a rate nine to 10 times higher than the greenhouse gas was emitted during the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM), a global warming event that occurred roughly 56 million years ago.
Now we just need mosquitoes, cockroaches and flies to be wiped out, and I'll be happy.
I can foresee flies and mosquitoes dying out but not cockroaches. Those vile bugs will probably be around long after human civilization is nothing but dust. I'm not kidding.

Link - https://theweek.com/articles/463960/5-fascinating-reasons-cockroaches-outlive-all

Oh I got one more ever wonder why grapes spark in a microwave.? No one at all it seems. Still like most things anything can find funding to study if you have the will.

Here's the link. - https://gizmodo.com/scientists-produce-rigorous-study-of-why-grapes-spark-i-1832660386

The specific geometry of two touching water-filled circular objects in an electromagnetic field creates resonances concentrated at the point where the spheres or half-spheres intersect. This becomes a very small hotspot with a high energy density, enough to create plasma out of the ions in the region where the objects touch.

Heh, the grapes thing is interesting (and much less depressing than the info above).

I hope we'll be as blasé when it's time for our silly little species to pay the piper.

For the other species it might be best if we go sooner than later. :)
But I’m afraid we have messed things up in such a way, with the plastics and the nuclear waste, that animals and plants will be affected long after we have gone.

I can foresee flies and mosquitoes dying out but not cockroaches. Those vile bugs will probably be around long after human civilization is nothing but dust. I'm not kidding.

Link - https://theweek.com/articles/463960/5-fascinating-reasons-cockroaches-outlive-all

And I'm totally sure of that. I probably told this tale 10.000 times, but among the really oldest fossils of land-living insects are … drumroll … cockroaches !

Computer simulation comes at up to 150 species that goes extinct every day so…we are just very clueless to what actually exist on the planet.

Which is why some scientists already call our age the "Anthropocene". One university professor, however, even calls it the "Capitalocene" ...

I can foresee flies and mosquitoes dying out but not cockroaches. Those vile bugs will probably be around long after human civilization is nothing but dust.

Meanwhile, ticks are having a field day, breeding in sufficient numbers to literally drain the life out of a young moose.

As far back as the early 1900s, moose biologists had noted that late-coming warm winters, such as that of 2002, sometimes led to tick irruptions that killed young moose. But such winters were rare. Like droughts, then, these weather-related tick irruptions fit into a pattern of rare stressors that had little long-term impact.

[…]

To the dismay of [researchers], such winters became far more common just as moose were growing denser than ever through much of their upper New England range. In the mild, late-coming winters of 2008 and 2011, moose biologists in all three northern New England states, now on the alert, saw signs of more ticks and higher calf mortality. By 2013, New Hampshire and Maine had started an updated, five-year version of the earlier winter moose-collaring study, which Vermont joined in 2015. It is for this study that [scientists] are doing field autopsies on dead, collared moose calves.

Before every one of the study’s first three winters (that is, the winters that carried into 2014, 2015, and 2016), the autumn was warm and short on snow; and at the end of every one of those winters, mainly in April, ticks sucked the life out of more than half of all collared calves in all three states. In 2016, when much of the study area had received very little snow before January, 80 percent of the collared calves succumbed.

Grim.

Yep live in Connecticut and the state is overrun with those bugs.:nod:

Best advise the state gives is stay off the grass and don't go near tress. We also have to deal with bed bug infestations every few months its damn ridiculous.

Last edited:
Well it's official controlling time is actually possible.

Link - https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ny-news-scientists-reverse-time-computer-20190313-story.html
Although many Americans turned their clocks forward an hour over the weekend, these scientists reported they were able to turn back time.

According to a report published in the journal Scientific Reports on Tuesday, a team of physicists was able to reverse time on an IBM quantum computer by a fraction of a second.

The experiment was done by a team of scientists from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, the U.S. and Switzerland.

“Uncovering the origin of the ‘arrow of time’ remains a fundamental scientific challenge,” the report said.

The experiment challenged the second law of thermodynamics — which states “as energy is transferred or transformed, more and more of it is wasted. It also states that “there is a natural tendency of any isolated system to degenerate into a more disordered state,” as explained by Live Science.

Last edited:
Time is an illusion, so sure it is controllable.

Hm, which mades me ask myself : "Why and how do trees "grow" "in time", then ?

I mean, why is it that living beings kind of respond to this illusion the way they do ?

In Esoterics, there is already a saying : "Time only exists so that everything cannot happen at the time time."

In the final section, “The Sources of Time”, Rovelli reconstructs how our illusions have arisen, from aspects of thermodynamics and quantum mechanics. He argues that our perception of time’s flow depends entirely on our inability to see the world in all its detail. Quantum uncertainty means we cannot know the positions and speeds of all the particles in the Universe. If we could, there would be no entropy, and no unravelling of time. Rovelli originated this ‘thermal time hypothesis’ with French mathematician Alain Connes.

This quite a human-centric point of view. Animals don't do math equations.

Time is an illusion, so sure it is controllable.
Good link but as said in the article.
Ultimately, I’m not sure I buy Rovelli’s ideas, about either loop quantum gravity or the thermal time hypothesis. And this book alone would not give a lay reader enough information to render judgement. The Order of Time does, however, raise and explore big issues that are very much alive in modern physics, and are closely related to the way in which we limited beings observe and participate in the world.
Interesting at least.

This quite a human-centric point of view. Animals don't do math equations.

People always told me that dogs couldn't tell how long their masters were gone. ;)

Got me. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom