RPG-Maker games

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Edit Eye:

Intro

This is a spin-off of the thread Six Ages - Released in the News section.

I cut and pasted posts of that thread to this one as requested by @HiddenX; in his post #12 saying the following:
Maybe we should move this to a new RPG-Maker thread, @Eye; beginning with post #4.
@crpgnut; posted that 4th post (aimed at HiddenX), which will be the second post in this thread, so coming right after this edited post of HiddenX.

If anyone that has posted in that thread objects to the move to this one, please send me a PM.

Eye

Last edited by a moderator:
C'mon. You've been showing Einlander on Steam for weeks and it's not released. How'd ya get it? BTW, I think free copies for your advertising of a game is only fair. The RPGWatch curator gig is popular. It wasn't a criticism but admiration :D

Ooh, are you translating Einlander for us English speaking hooligans? Goody!

Last edited by a moderator:
Einlanzer has been released on 2 Mar, 2017 on Steam. A great game by the way.

I have bought all my Steam games myself - you have to tell Steam if you use a free review copy for curation - I never do this.

I have bought all my Steam games myself - you have to tell Steam if you use a free review copy for curation - I never do this.

I watched Nookrium try it out and it looks fantastic (just like KoDP).

You should really cover some older games. :) Most seem to slip under my radar but get rarely mentioned again.
EDIT: There seems to be a section in forums for this. Will have to look it up.

Tell us more about Einlanzer….

Its an RPGMaker game, I haven't played it myself, but HiddenX tries out a lot of these games. They are very reasonable. Einlanzer is like 4 euros for a 40 hour game. I also have played a number of these game, since I own the engine software and like to see what other people manage to do with it. Some are quite good, others less so. Also, you have to be willing to put up with the stlye of the graphics and primitive presentation. Currently I have less time in general for computer games, so I've been limiting my purchases to games I'm very optimistic I'll enjoy, which means its been awhile since I've bought a game like this.

Thanks but is this one particularly well written with interesting story and quests and character development or is it the endless grind with minimal fluff to keep the grind going that some of these games become ?

There was another rpgmaker game that @HiddenX; had mentioned several times that was suppose to be well written (not sure how it compares to this game) ?

Its an RPGMaker game, I haven't played it myself, but HiddenX tries out a lot of these games. They are very reasonable. Einlanzer is like 4 euros for a 40 hour game. I also have played a number of these game, since I own the engine software and like to see what other people manage to do with it. Some are quite good, others less so. Also, you have to be willing to put up with the stlye of the graphics and primitive presentation. Currently I have less time in general for computer games, so I've been limiting my purchases to games I'm very optimistic I'll enjoy, which means its been awhile since I've bought a game like this.

Einlanzer has a well written storyline and not much grinding. On the other hand it features very challenging end-bosses. I would compare it to Wizardry 7 difficulty-wise. The game world is very big and opens more and more.

I have made an RPG-Maker sublist on our Steam-Curator that features the very best RPG-Maker games:
  • Echoes of Aetheria
  • Einlanzer
  • The Great Gaias
  • Ara Fell
  • Astoria: The Holders of Power Saga

Maybe we should move this to a new RPG-Maker thread, @Eye; :) beginning with post #4.

I'm not normally into the RPG-Maker stuff at all but the Einlanzer game looked pretty decent. If you get some spare moments to do a mini-review, I'm all shells.

P.S. No wonder I couldn't find it on Steam. I thought it was Einlander....

I've a friend that raved about Dragon's Twilight, which I believe is a rpg-maker type game, which I picked up today for like two dollars. I play quite a bit of these types to be honest, some of the mechanics can be tough to adapt to, but I tend to enjoy most of them, they remind me of the very best from the late eighties/early nineties in computer gaming.

Dragons' Twilight is based on a novel, so the story and characters are well written.

I just saw the second part was released in August!

Last edited:
Intriguing! I was deep into RPG Maker games about five years ago. Despite what people say, you can find some real gems in there. More often than not, they're worth the price of admission. At least, in my experience they have been.

I really enjoyed Skyborn. A bit on the pricier side, but a very well told story with lovable characters that face difficult decisions, enjoyable boss fights, and adorably heartfelt. Absolutely worth looking into when it's on sale. Not quite as lengthy as a 40 hour trek, however. I'd probably put it around 20 hours.

Last edited:
For me, it's all about having a decent story complimented with good combat mechanics. Most of the rpg-maker games that I've played do very well on both of these fronts, and have solid replay value as well.

Agreed. I've found that RPG Maker games can at least lay the foundation for creators, and with that foundation, some games have been able to flourish incredibly well with balancing, too.

Hidden, your curated list has my attention. I'm going to be looking at some of these titles this weekend. I suspect I'm in for a treat or two. :cool:

Meanwhile I can recommend Dragons' Twilight and Dragons' Twilight II as well.

Back
Top Bottom