Best underwater game or experience

N

NewDArt

So, I'm a big fan of underwater games. I love the atmosphere of being underwater when it's done well.

Unfortunately, very few games handle this aspect with much success - but a few of them are really well done.

I'd love to hear about your favorite underwater games - because I might have missed some of them.

Here are some of my favorites:

Das Boot (on the Amiga) - for some reason, encountering another sub underwater was very effective in this game.

KotOR - Manaan underwater level.

Black Crypt - the underwater levels.

SOMA - probably the most powerful underwater atmosphere in my experience.

Bioshock - an obvious choice, but it actually didn't have enough "real" underwater gameplay.

Hm, I don't remember many underwater levels in games but I'm not all that much into sub simulations which might explain it.
I did like Bioshock's Rapture, but I actually liked that the water was outside and not anywhere near my character :).
FF X had some underwater scenes/combat I remember. Shadowcaster had underwater levels, too, and out of those three games I still prefer Shadowcaster...

Not an CRPG but GW2 handles underwater really well. Lots of diving, huge cave and tunnels systems etc to be had. Once I got so lost and didn't know how to get back so in the end had to kill myself to get out!

You can't use your normal stepsons when you are under water but had to use special under water weapons. Some people didn't like it but it made sense that a sword is pretty useless when you are diving and harpoon like weapons made more sense. It also added to the immersion factor as well.

The actual swimming and diving was done well too.

I can't say the best, but I do remember of my worst experiences was the one time. I couldn't get the machine I was it on working and then I found out it wasn't plugged in. But at least I didn't get myself electrocuted again.

MMORPG tends to have more underwater "levels", well older MMOs, then single player game unless they are all underwater.

I like GW2 quite a bit, it has some nice vista underwater, lots of details and creatures. Everquest 2 isn't as detailed and the control a bit clunky, but I really liked playing a Warden and casting "air bubble" on me to be able to stay underwater for long period of time.

I also have a soft spot for Morrowind. Some of the caves have underwater sections and there was pearl diving and shipwreck hunting.

Not really RPG's, but they contain quest-like missions (branching irrc) and upgrades to your ship instead of skills: The Aquanox series or it's predecessor Archimedian Dynasty. Also: Subnautica seems tot be quite nice.

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag had some nice diving missions IMHO. You had to be well aware of your surroundings, memorize the level layout and employ some strategy when moving from oxygen bubble to oxygen bubble while avoiding the threats like sharks and jellyfish. The underwater environments were stunningly beautiful with the tropical flair and the ship wrecks. The levels were all pretty similar but yet different enough in challenge level, collectibles and obstacles to make them fun to explore. It was good underwater gameplay, nowhere near "best" but still decent :) .

Wiz 8 Bayjin Shallows. Just watch out for Nessie ;)

Might and Magic VI and VII have underwater levels and VIII has a submarine...

Some interesting picks, thanks :)

Never completed M&M6 or 7 - and I had no idea they had underwater levels…. I'm going to have to check them out again.

I've played Subnautica - but it feels sort of pointless to me, as there's no narrative of note. I like the concept, but I'm not really into the pure sandbox design.

Also, I tend to prefer a dark and "ominous" underwater atmosphere - which is why I think SOMA did it best of all.

GW2 did have a great underwater landscape - but I greatly disliked the game overall in terms of its game design and terrible MMO paradigm. WoW also had entire zones of underwater stuff - but it wasn't dark enough ;)

I do remember Black Flag having some great segments - and I've been struggling to get it to run right on my past two rigs. Something happened to the game in terms of its PhysX implementation that makes it stutter and perform abysmally.

The only way to get it smooth is to turn all PhysX stuff off - which I don't want to do, because it had a bunch of cool stuff, including dynamic thick smoke and what not :)

I haven't played it, but people seem to like Abzu. Not sure if it has enough game for you, but people seem to like the diving experience.

Sunless Sea is not really underwater, but in a boat on the sea at night and as such seems pretty atmospheric nonetheless. It's a "survival/exploration roleplaying video game with roguelike elements".

As JDR13 mentions, Subnautica is really a very very good game and is played actually most of the time underwater.

Deus ex 1 had a really atmospheric underwater level called ocean lab. Masterfully built and great atmosphere.

Tomb raider II and III had some quite intresting underwater levels. Really difficult to navigate through and yet so rewarding to beat. :)

Trine II also had some clever underwater gameplay.

Aquanox?

Can't say I've played any underwater game that's "the best".

But I can say which game did it worst.
Assassin Creed 4. Do not buy. Ever. Halfarsed, horrible, boring and repetitive. Won't shed a tear when Vivendi's hostile takeover finalizes.

Everquest one, Kedge Keep. Dear god, I lived in that zone for months leveling alts, helping friends do the same, and farming lewts. I loved that damn zone like family.

Back
Top Bottom