The TV Series discussion thread

1. Sadly, once promising show turned into soap opera with dragging as if it's Walking Dead. Feel free to ignore it in the future.

2. It's on the same path. Still bearable, but CW should wrap it up already. Feel free to drop it if you're still watching.

3. Awsome one! Didn't lose momentum, in fact it's even crazier than before. Go for it.

If you want a new superhero show that's good and isn't The Umbrella Academy I've mentioned in the previous page, go for Titans. It ain't yet another family vomit for kiddies and it ain't teen titans yuckyness, here they grew up a bit and some more.

I've avoided watching the past two series of the Martin Thrones show, but last week I started re-watching the entire thing, so this time I plan on watching them all. I don't know when and/or if we'll ever get the final two books, which is what I was waiting for, but since the series will end soon, might as well watch them all now.

My opinion is he will never finish the books, and a new author will finish the series. Basically the same thing that happened with the Wheel of Time, and Dune books.

I know HBO has a new prequel series for GoT in development.

Yup, Martin will die for sure before finishing the books "saga".

Because it's HBO I'm actually interested in the prequel. If it was Warner with their upcoming streaming service or Disney+, I'd already start spitting as motto of the latters is "as long as there's sheep, there will be wool" aka quantity, not quality. HBO proved not just once they want inteligent shows, screw mediocrity.

I would love to see a prequel where we'd actually see Brandon Stark become the Dark King. At least that's where I think it's all headed in the books, not sure on the telly version since I'm quite behind in episodes right now. I also think his dark queen is stuck in the Stark vaults, there has to be a reason why all those tombs were left with weapons, I think that vault is the last line of defence against the undead, should everything else fail.

If you liked Titans, try Doom Patrol which began this week.

I don't get why Cyborg is there? Doom Patrol's legacy is the creation of Beast Boy/Changeling. Cyborg's origin is completely independent of anything that happens with the Doom Patrol, the Titans, or the Justice League.

Seriously though, did DC (WB) concede the Elasti-girl trademark to Disney?

Its almost as bad as the latest incarnation of Captain Marvel not saying "Shazam!"

There were two very different 'Captain Marvels' from I believe different comic companies. The Shazam CM is soon to be released as a movie called guess what? Shazam!! :) Saw the trailer yesterday, and it looks like it will be a fun romp. Marvel's version never said Shazam!! :) I'm looking forward to seeing both.

Oh, a wheel of time show. It will be on amazon though. I really liked the sword of truth show (legend of the seekers I think), largely because I went in with ultra-low expectation. The Shannara show was good, but in a guilty pleasure kind of way. It really is a MTV kids show.

As for:
1. Green Arrow - yes, stopped watching around season 4
2. Flash - haven't watched because of 1
3. Legends Of Tomorrow - might try it, I was held back as I heard it is much more childish than other hero shows (aimed at 12-year olds or so)
4. The last kingdom is awesome - don't mind joxer
5. What about nightflyers as a suggestion for scifi?

If you liked Titans, try Doom Patrol which began this week.
Doom Patrol? Erm, I'm actually trying to put my claws on Jack Irish second season, but it seems outside of Australia the only way to see it currently is shady practices (VPN to USA then subscribe on Acorn TV or VPN to AUS/NZ and watch directly). :(

I'll keep digging though, usually I miss an availabe option in front of me and then scratch my head later how I didn't notice it.

The bad part? I bet you ignored it as the fruit growing close by is not interesting. :p
But now I cannot ask anyone is it as good as it's predecessor season and three movies. :(
4. The last kingdom is awesome - don't mind joxer
5. What about nightflyers as a suggestion for scifi?
4. Drama, history, war. When did I ever watch those genres mixed? It's all same old crap about nonexisting and impossible mindsets. Or just be honest and tag it on imdb as myth/fantasy, then I'll see it. Not you personally ofc, it's distributor should. Till then, get off my property.
5. No. There are plenty of better shows out there, maybe if suddenly there is no other choice, but… Just no. Somewhat similar is Origin by Youtube Red which would be a better choice although not a must see.

Last edited:
A weekend where I have a few not_many_episodes titles to binge on my mind, but not sure about one. Should I go for or forget it exists: Mr Inbetween?

Except suspicious recommendation from a friend, I have no idea what's it about. Who watched it already?

Just finished season 1 of The Umbrella Academy, it's been a while since I so thoroughly enjoyed a series, and the best thing is that it came out of nowhere, no fanfare, no announcement of announcement, no Superbowl explosion trailer... it was just there one day on Netflix. Loved it!

A weekend where I have a few not_many_episodes titles to binge on my mind, but not sure about one. Should I go for or forget it exists: Mr Inbetween?

Except suspicious recommendation from a friend, I have no idea what's it about. Who watched it already?

Highly recommend Mr Inbetween. It starts a little slow, but every episode gets better. A second season is on the way.

Highly recommend Mr Inbetween. It starts a little slow, but every episode gets better. A second season is on the way.

Finally! Someone.
Please, if you catch another aussie show worth watching, kick me in the butt, for years I'm waiting someone to recommend me something from there without me experimenting - and with not enough time to watch mediocrity, I can't "test" everything.
Thanks. It'll have to wait for the next weekend though, my "schedule" is currently full. :(

Finished True Detective Season 3.

Another one that I have trouble rating. It was unusually subtle and lowkey - for the most part. In terms of production and acting - it was just about perfect.

On the other hand, I found the plot drab and needlessly obfuscated considering the ultra basic premise.

I was never a big fan of non-linear storytelling. While it was cute and novel in Pulp Fiction (which is where I first took note of that approach and when I think it became the trendy way to convey a narrative), I don't think it actually helped tell the story.

This holds true for me today as well. I'm just not a fan. If you can't make a story interesting by telling it straight up - then it's because it's not interesting, not because you're being linear about it.

The ending was not satisfying - and I don't think a single interesting thing happened in terms of the main story at any point in the show. Well, ok, maybe there were a few surprises here and there - but they were presented amidst so much unnecessary opacity that they got lost.

But True Detective was always a character driven show, and it's more true for Season 3 than I think it ever was. The two leads were more believable and compelling as real human beings than the leads in the other two seasons. I must give an extra nod to Stephen Dorff for presenting the most plausibly appealing character in such a no bullshit way - not a single embellishment (except for the moronic bar fight scene, but that's the writing not the acting). If I was into men, I'd been in love right now.

Overall, I'd say it was a true mixed bag.

So, seeing as how I'm big on characters - it gets a couple of points for that.

If you're not here for that, though, you might be better off skipping it.

7/10

Back
Top Bottom