Dark Souls - Combat?

Are you trying to kill Seath the Scaleless in the Archives? Because you can't. This is an encounter where you're meant to die. Or have you already traversed the Crystal Cave and are up to the second encounter? Having anything which adds curse resistance is integral to this fight - so wearing the ring is practically a must.

Edit:
If you've mauled your way through Four Kings already (a slightly eccentric order through the game to be honest) you shouldn't really be troubled too much by Seath.

Last edited:
I died once in the first encounter. He spammed the whole room with crystals. I decided to do other stuff before trying again. So he won’t be in the same spot when I go back in? As far as difficulty the Stray Demon in the Undead Asylum was decorating the walls with me. Took 4 tries whereas the 4 Kings went down easily on the second attempt once I realized you could go toe to toe. A DPS battle. Even Sif was more challenging. So no I don’t assume any boss is a cakewalk. You just never know.

Seath the Scaleless down
Iwem7C7.jpg

I've logged an absurd 122 hours. I really don't want this game to end. This may be my new all time favorite game even over my beloved Gothic. It really is that good. Hard to believe how I've gone from distaste over the controls and combat mechanics to where I am now and its all laid out in this thread.

@ToddMcF2002; still have a few areas plus the dlc areas , which for me got almost the same atmosphere as the ghosts-4 kings zone. . Btw why why dont you use some resize mod, that hud looks fugly haha.

Lack of awareness. Didn’t know there were HUD mods. If I have Painted World I’m assuming I’ve got all DLC? It’s the Prepare to Die edition not Remastered.

Lack of awareness. Didn’t know there were HUD mods. If I have Painted World I’m assuming I’ve got all DLC? It’s the Prepare to Die edition not Remastered.

The prepare to die edition includes all DLC including access to a large new area accessed through a portal at the end of the Darkroot Basin (where you have killed the hydra). This is a tough as nails DLC area!

Trying to recall a portal. I killed the gold golem back there. I’ll have to go back there and check

Trying to recall a portal. I killed the gold golem back there. I’ll have to go back there and check

See below:
How to access DLC Artorias of the Abyss
1) Go to Darkroot Basin, beyond the waterfall will be a cave with a Golden Golem.
2) Go to Duke's Archives, head up the elevator and kill the Crystal Golem for a Broken Pendant.
3) Head back to where you freed Dusk of Oolacile in Darkroot Basin.
4) From here, you will be teleported to Sanctuary Garden.]

1xME5TI.jpg

Wow was Gwyn hard. Apparently I killed Solaire in Lost Izalith and there was nobody around to summon. I still don't get why he attacked me. But at the end of the day dead is dead so I had to face Gwyn solo and I *suck* at parrying which is I guess the universal Gwyn strategy. Gwyn is very difficult to block because of the massive stamina damage and relentless hits. I had to back pedal and constantly drop my guard to regen stamina and basically take him with 1000 cuts. Took about 8 tries. Damn that victory felt good.

Great game. Logged 142 hours. I'm exhausted by it but I loved it. Need to return to PoE now which is going to feel like a vacation after all this stress!!!!

Solaire attacked you
he went insane, infected by a bug that u need to kill before entering Lost Izalith if you want him to be alive to be summoned in the last battle

Also for the Gwen
parry is your friend

Congrats on finishing the game, I loved it as well, got to NG+4 :D in my search for new stuff to kill and learn

I don't think there's a universal strategy for Gwyn, but good job taking him down Todd! That boss fight has a wonderful atmosophere and I can still hear the beautiful theme lulling in my ears. My first character was a knight/cleric hybrid so I didn't quite have your melee focus. Thus, I used the pillars to lure him into overreaching combinations and picked him off that way. Took a long time, but ultimately worked a treat.

As for Solaire, the same thing happened to me first time through - I bungled his storyline at the Lost Izalith section. Many NPCs in the series have these intricate quest lines and it is often easy to muck them up. For future replays, referring to DS wiki's may help you get more out of the game. For instance: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/solaire-of-astora#toc6. Again, well done beating the game!

Edit:
Porco is right - Artorias? Kalameet? Sanctuary Guardian? If you haven't fought these, you're in for a treat.

Last edited:
I fear PoE will feel bland in comparison :)

Do play the DLC, Todd, the levels are fine if not great, but I find one of the boss fights to be one of the best in the entire game. There's also an NPC you might meet afterwards whom you will only see once, it always amazed me that someone put this sort of effort into stuff most people will simply miss.

I’ll hit more of the DLC on a Dexterity/magic build. I’m certainly not done with DS. I started getting the PVP bug toward the end too. I was invaded twice in the Giant Tomb and really enjoyed watching them fair horribly ;). But I’m half way through POE and I was just trying to check my Keyboard/ mouse config in Dark Souls. It just happened to be a 140 hour test :)

Hehe, glad to see PvP is still going strong. From all the Souls games, I always enjoyed PvP the most in DS1. [If you get the hang of it, then one of the PvP areas where experienced players hang out is in the DLC.]

Dexterity builds can be tricky in DS1. My first build, when I was playing blind, was a Dexterity-based Wanderer who pumped Resistance, since it seemed to be a good idea. Restarted after 30 hours or something.

Explore what the shopkeeper in Undead Burg can offer for Dex builds ;-) (It's not visible initially.)

Back
Top Bottom