Legend of Grimrock - Reviews @ IGN, Destructoid, Mashable

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Legend of Grimrock continues its stellar run of reviews with this trio. First, IGN who awarded 8.5/10 and Editor's Choice Award. On the magic system:
The unique magic system throws a neat twist into combat that requires some concentration and quick reflexes in order pull off more elaborate spells in the heat of battle. Spells are cast by plugging a specific rune pattern into a 3x3 grid that fits neatly over your wizard character's portrait. Once queued up, you can fire off the magic at any time with a quick click. From hurling fireballs and poisonous clouds to using invisibility and protective charms, there's a good mix for magic-minded folks to play around with. While experimenting with different combinations sometimes unlocks spells through accidental tinkering, most spells aren't uncovered until you find a scroll with their formula on it. Scoring new spells during your travels feel more rewarding than simply gaining them automatically. Potion crafting has the same appeal as well, since you have to track down ingredients and vials, find note scrolls on how to use them, and then combine them properly on an inventory grid to create your elixir.
Destructoid awards a huge 9.5/10 - on the strength of the puzzles:
Legend of Grimrock's strongest element is easily the puzzles you'll find strewn throughout the dungeon. I lost count as to how many times I threw my fist in the air and shouted, "YES!" after successfully completing a puzzle. I can't stress enough how well the guys over at Almost Human nailed the puzzle difficulty.
Most puzzles will consist of you activating pressure plates or finding secret buttons to press on the walls. In some cases, there will be hints written on the walls or in scrolls that you can find around the area. Some are quite dastardly, and required me to break out the ol’ paper and pencil to get a better look at them.
There are also optional puzzles that are way more difficult than what you'll normally encounter. Occasionally, you'll come across large iron doors that will take a lot of wit and a keen eye to open. I managed to open about three of these doors in my playthrough, but left many more closed. I felt defeated and I loved it.
...and Mashable with a very positive article:
If you’re looking for a rich and expansive fantasy world, save your gold for a title like Skyrim or The Witcher 2. If you prefer a no-nonsense dungeon crawl that plays by classic D&D rules and focuses on one quest at a time, Legend of Grimrock is worth every penny.
Thanks Zohaib and Melvil for writing in.
More information.

This is looking very, very promising. This kind of game is long overdue. I feel like we are finally being vindicated. I hope it makes $millions.

It looks like this sub-genre is having a bit of a reneissance. I'm glad!

preordered!

i hope they will be successful!

5 1/2 hours to go! :biggrin:

Daniel.

Yes, those are some stellar reviews especially from big sites that like to ream Indies.
This is sounding more and more like a must have for every RPG fan.

Northernlion Has a "Let's Look at" video of the game on YouTube. He plays the first level of the game (It might spoil some of it for you), but it might be a good way to gauge if this game is for you.

Indie games are actually becoming more and more trendy, so I wouldn't say that big sites like to "ream" them. I'm finding now that they tend to be pretty positive about them these days. But great reviews either way, that will probably be the final push I need to pick the game up.

Yes, those are some stellar reviews especially from big sites that like to ream Indies.
This is sounding more and more like a must have for every RPG fan.

And the Almost Human website has died, guess demand is pretty good!

Daniel.

Just played it a bit… EXACTLY what I was hoping for… puzzle/trap-heavy, old school dungeon crawling with a custom party. Love it! Can't wait to block out some time this weekend to do it justice. For those on the fence, I give it a hearty thumbs-up, especially for the current Steam price of 13.49, which is a steal in my opinion. The step-based graphics engine is quite attractive on a nice widescreen monitor. :)

I just finished installing it...

My only option was to download it directly from the website. For some reason the Steam version is still showing as unreleased.

hmm i just started and I can only see torches and everything else is black?

hmmm

I just finished installing it…

My only option was to download it directly from the website. For some reason the Steam version is still showing as unreleased.

Same situation here - where can I download the install files ?

Edit1:
Okay - found it via the original Email from Humble Store.

Steam-Problem-thread

Edit2:
Steam problem fixed - just restart Steam.

Last edited:
I had to tear myself away to get some food. If you don't own this game, and you like old crawlers, get it now!! I'm having a blast, really digging the old school crawl.

-Carn

Back
Top Bottom