Elex 2: ??
Elex 3: ??

Gothic 1 = Gothic 2 > Gothic 3
Risen 1 > Risen 2 = Risen 3
Elex 1 ? Elex 2 ? Elex 3

Gothic 1 > Risen 1 > Elex 1
Gothic 2 > Risen 2 ? Elex 2
Gothic 3 > Risen 3 ? Elex 3

You can replace question marks for anything you think will make sense.
Lotto is chance. Statistics is a science. ;)

Last edited:
I like how you switched to critics scores there to make that work. :)

This is how I picture you right now…

shredder.png

It's actually user scores. I can do with Critics scores, it looks even worse for PB.

IE critic scores for Gothic are 81, 79, 63. In my "graph" I gave all games their user scores which are far generous all across the board. I also excluded console scores, also to load the die a little in favour of PB.

This oversight is disappointing coming from you, JDR, but I understand the evidence is frustrating. It also plays into your denial romp.

It looked like critics scores because you originally had Gothic>Gothic 2 at the bottom, but you apparently edited it afterwards as you've tended to do quite often in this thread.

Anyways.. it's been fun. :)

Yeah I post often before re-reading, then I edit and edit until it all looks good. It's a flaw of mine. :)

I corrected the 90 too, since I had 89. Not that it makes any difference.

Also, based on my own evidence, I believe I may be wrong in that Elex will be a 6.5/10 game at best. The fair margin is between 4.6 and 7.2/10 (+0.2 being the biggest increase a PB game ever had from one game to the next, -2.4 being the biggest decrease. Base score being 7, as the most recent game is Elex).

Don't sweat it, if Elex 2 is good I'll be surprised and happy to play it. I rather have a good game to play than a bad one to roast. But forgive me if I don't antipicate what looks to be a 4.6 - 7.2/10 game.

HiddenX I love how you held back approving my comment on the 1st page until an irrelevantly later point, seeing as it was my 1st post and needed to be approved (wtf why?).
HiddenX does not approve posts, because he can't. Only Ripper, Arhu and me can approve posts in this section of RPGWatch. So your assumptions are false and because of that your conclusion is rubbish.
Every new poster needs 7 manually approved posts before the manual approval of posts is lifted. It is a spam protection that after years of trying stuff out is the only one that actually works. The downside is that, because it is a manual process, if you post in very active threads there is a high chance that your post gets lost.
That is not something that will change.

Let's get back to Elex 2 and numbers :)

All you've done is argue numbers and said you played a game for one hour, then expect others to agree with you.

That makes no sense at all. People gave you multiple reasons as to what they liked about the game and you ignored all of them. Makes it seem like you're good at numbers but not at reading comprehension.

People often give bad reviews like you after playing for an hour. That doesn't make the game bad, it just makes the players people who can't try something which doesnt provide instant gratification.

The biggest draws for PB games are exploration, game progression and quire often music.

You can't do exploration in one hour of gameplay so that's why the scores mean nothing for PB games.

It has nothing to do with their budget or their studio size.

I'm all out-numbered on this topic. Pun intended!
That's what you get for numbers fixation.

I didn't know what numbers Elex got on different places, I loved the game.
Except the lack of humor part. And of course lack of hairworks. IMO no new game without it should have more than 5/10. But noone asks me.
Anyhow, while I want to see humor in the sequel, it'd be retarded from me to expect a technology much bigger studios do not use either.

Yet those bigger studios get better numbers - for stuff I don't like much.
Like, for example, not a full product but numerous DLC sold separately.
Such cashgrabs are almost all 10/10 guaranteed.

So forgive me but I don't care about the current state of numbers.
It's a scale formed by whatever (shallow and irrelevant?) criteria points that I don't care about.

I don't think a score 7 out of 10 isn't good. I came to appreciate a lot of games whose Metacritic scores (not the user scores) are in that range, like Greedfall 72 and Lords of Xulima 71.

Heck, even ATOM RPG (which I have yet to play) scored 70 on Metacritic.

But again, I don't think Metacritic is that relevant anymore, if it ever was.

To chime in, for me personally (and it seems others concur), what PB does well is create atmospheric, believable worlds. NPCs work during the day, go to the bar in the evening, and to bed at night. The atmosphere in the woods around Khorinis in G2 is absolutely spot on, and Khorinis to this day remains one of my favorite in-game cities (though it kinda got dethroned now by Novigrad in TW3, but anyway). Another strong point is exploration: you get rewarded by unique loot, and for actually exploring every nook and cranny, or for defeating a particular nasty enemy hidden somewhere in the back of a hidden cave (they did drop the ball here with G3). Also, they usually have an above average soundtrack (especially those sweeping tracks from G3).

Disclaimer: I have yet to play Elex (also skipped Risen 2+3), so I do not know in how far they stayed true to the above elements. It's on my shortlist to play though.

Either way, I think people anticipate their games because they believe they might be able to re-capture the magic from the original G1 and G2. Elex was well received here in general (that's the impression I have at least and why it's on my shortlist) so those that liked Elex have no reason not to anticipate #2.

@Nereida; Using a group average such as metacritic doesn’t really work anyway. Why people are anticipating a sequel has nothing to do with an average score. It’s an individual decision.

This average is derived from individual scores ranging from 10 to 1. So in this average you have people that loved the game and rated it 8-10 and people that hated it and gave it 1-4 and then people in between. Obviously the 8-10 crowd will be looking forward to a sequel and the 1-4 crowd won’t. The 5-7 crowd is probably mixed.

So the overwhelming majority of people looking forward to a sequel don’t think the game is mediocre and you wouldn’t ask them, “why are you anticipating a game you thought was very good?”

None of that is a mystery though and I’m sure you already know that. Add to that you have largely dismissed the several reasons people having given as to why they’d look forward to a sequel and I get the feeling your question was more to ruffle the feathers of PB fans than about achieving understanding.

Score averages are just that, averages. To get a 6.5 that means some people found it to be a 4, and some people found it to be a 9.

For the person (me for example), who found a PB game to be a 9, that game is always going to be a 9 for me no matter what the average says. And I'm going to anticipate the next PB game because for me the last game was still a 9. What's so hard to understand about that?

Imo. beat me to it

Score averages are just that, averages. To get a 6.5 that means some people found it to be a 4, and some people found it to be a 9.

For the person (me for example), who found a PB game to be a 9, that game is always going to be a 9 for me no matter what the average says. And I'm going to anticipate the next PB game because for me the last game was still a 9. What's so hard to understand about that?

Maybe that's hard to understand because it's not true.... it doesn't mean that there's a non-trivial variance from scores as widely dispersed as 4 and 9 at all. In fact, 4's and 9's are probably outliers in this data set.

Maybe that's hard to understand because it's not true…. it doesn't mean that there's a non-trivial variance from scores as widely dispersed as 4 and 9 at all. In fact, 4's and 9's are probably outliers in this data set.

I guess my own thoughts and feeling about how much I enjoy PB games is incorrect, thanks for informing me. I will no longer anticipate the next game coming after one of my favorite games of the last few years. Oh, scratch that, I already forgot I didn't really like the game I just felt sorry for a small developer

Back
Top Bottom