What games are you playing now?

It's still just a bit too much like popamole to me. Hardly ever had to use potions/coatings, except for the occasional cat. Quickly the novelty of casting aard, igni, and yrden wore off, and it became too repetitive with all the running back and forth. If they had not re-spawned monsters, then it would have been MUCH better.

Of course, I could just be bitter and cranky today.

I like the combat better in GB Pool of Radiance. :)

It's still just a bit too much like popamole to me. Hardly ever had to use potions/coatings, except for the occasional cat.

Which is exactly why it's meant to be played on Hard. You can just slash your way through most of the game on Normal. You have to utilize alchemy and different tactics on Hard.

Ah, but I did play on Hard. Still, potion use was rare... i did use yrden to keep protected against particular nasty swarms of salamandras, wyverns, baslisks, etc... but even that got repetitive...

True. I made a magic focussed build, rather than maxing sword skills, just to make it less popamole. Although igni and aard are somewhat overpowered if you spam them.

I'm a good ways through chapter 2 with TW, and with the exception of a boss or two, I need to keep checking that I'm really playing on hard; it feels almost easier than medium to me.

The only thing that was harder for me this time around, was that boss ghoul in the crypt in chapter one.

Maybe I'm talking too early, though, and the "hardness" will still set in. Are you using you Aardt sign Sammy? For me barghests were, and drowners are a simle: *check Aardt is on*, R-click, L-click; Geralt stabs the thing in one stab; rinse and repeat.

Why are you hacking at these beasties when you can floor/stun them and simply finish them off in one blow? Even if you accidentally use the wrong sword, or even wrong style: as long as you have them knocked down or stunned, the result is the same; one single death blow. Same with wolves. Even drownded dead go in this fashion. If they gang up too much, kite.

Last edited:
Fallout 3 with a bunch of mods, most notably FWE. It's noticably better this way, but there are still things I miss from the old Fallouts.

I find the writing particularly bad, but I'm greatly enjoying the exploration aspect, as well as the excellently executed atmosphere.

Recently replayed G1 and 2, then Alpha Protocol and now I really wanted to play NWN1 and 2. However, I'm having a hard time planning my character for NWN1. I could skip 1 and go straight to NWN2 instead, but the beginning of the original campaign is such a drag. I consider NWN2 superior to 1 in most ways, except the camera and the exceptionally slow start.

The slow start is the main reason why I don't replay NWN2 more often - it's probably one of the most boring starts I've ever encountered.

So, I ended up with ME1 for now, but I'm still looking into NWN1/2, or maybe PS:T or BG1-2.

Are you aware that you can switch between 3 differant camera modes with NwN2?
I still don't think there's a perfect one between those 3, but they did make the game a whole lot more manageable.

About planning your NwN1 character, if you're really stuck I'm willing to help you out.

Why are you hacking at these beasties when you can floor/stun them and simply finish them off in one blow?

I use that tactic sometimes if I'm in danger or just want to get something done, but to play the entire game like that would put me to sleep!

I just like varying things up a bit, I'm in for the experience of the game, not just progressing to the next area. This time I'm gonna play on Normal but go heavy on the less-physical/sword talents like signs tactics, alchemy, bombs, and frivilous talents like brawler, the intoxication one, the nighttime one (im here at work so Im paraphrasing) and the "if geralt's health is below 15%" type stuff I avoided in my former physically tough and dangerous build.

Has anyone ever gotten into making bombs? Are they any good? I know in my recent playthru of DA they were underestimated but turned out to be a blast (pun intended) so I'm kinda anxious to see how they play in Witcher.

I finished Risen, it was a great Gothic II clone. I'm not someone who demands innovation, some of the best games have built upon a successful formula, but sometimes parts of the game felt a little too familiar, almost like I'd already played it before. I'm hoping for their next game Piranha Bytes will try a different setting. Other than that my only complaints were the pacing of the later chapters (it would have been better to have spread the dungeons throughout the game rather than having them all one after the other) and the silly minigame-style final boss.

I think I'm going to give Ultima V: Lazarus another go, last time my notes ended up a jumbled mess and I couldn't keep track of what I was supposed to be doing. I'm very glad that U6 Project has a journal.

Are you aware that you can switch between 3 differant camera modes with NwN2?
I still don't think there's a perfect one between those 3, but they did make the game a whole lot more manageable.

About planning your NwN1 character, if you're really stuck I'm willing to help you out.

Well aware of that yes. I've replayed both NWNs at least 10+ times by now with various characters. Well, not SoU (only a few times through it) because.. it's just not all that good in my opinion. Still think the camera in NWN1 is superior to NWN2 though. It just feels more "natural".

As for a character: I'll probably end up with a melee cleric (w/2H weapon instead of shield/1H). Generally I prefer dualwield characters, but due to restrictions in D&D3 (and above) that's pretty hard unless you want to build a dex character (it's not too hard in NWN, but in NWN2 it's almost hopeless). Well, unless you include a bunch of ranger levels.

I find that redicilous to be honest. Sure, being fast and have good coordination is a requirement for being able to use two weapons, but that goes for all combat forms. For one form to have zero strength requirement and a redicilous dex requirement makes no sense, and is just plain annoying. Probably the one rule of D&D that frustrates me the most, as any fighter needs a good balance of stats (though it's certainly possible to lean more towards strength like a barbarian or speed like a drow).

Characters like Drizzt Do'Urden and Athrogate would work out great in D&D2, but they would be complete rubbish in D&D3 (Drizzt does not have a lot of elemental/magic damage on his weapons, so a pure dex build would be wasted).

Has anyone ever gotten into making bombs? Are they any good? I know in my recent playthru of DA they were underestimated but turned out to be a blast (pun intended) so I'm kinda anxious to see how they play in Witcher.

I'm curious about that myself, although I've been told that, by the time you're high enough level to make them, they're a bit underpowered compared to other talents.

I remember making one that was supposed to make enemies afraid of you, but it never seemed to work on anything I used it against.

They seemed mostly redundant to well developed signs, so i passed them by…

Also, I tried throwing a dragon bomb, and it just emitted on top of me. So, I'd be curious if anyone got them to work.

I use that tactic sometimes if I'm in danger or just want to get something done, but to play the entire game like that would put me to sleep!

Oh, ok, i knew there had to be a reason for it.. ;)

Oh, yes, I love the bombs. Like you, I also use them a lot in DA, but they're almost as much of a blast in Witcher. I've tried out all the bombs, and the one that is really a riot is the one that causes fear. :D The beasties skulk away while you chop them to pieces from behind. :biggrin: Strange that those didn't work for you, JDR13... :thinking: o_O
Anyway, as soon as i can do bombs again in my current playthrough, I'll report back.

I've revisited Age of Conan. The "Godslayer" expansion adds a new race (the Khitai) and new areas. At the moment I'm in Mongolia - well something looking like that, and I find it fresh and interesting. There's a whole lot of other new thingies: factions, alternate advancement system, and other things I haven't looked at yet. But I'm having fun. Let's see how long it will last.

Back
Top Bottom