Planescape: Torment - Retrospective @ Resolution Magazine

By far, PS:T has had lasting impressions and memories on me, more than any other RPG. The roleplaying is fantastic with great choice and consequences and story. While the combat was at times trivial it was more memorable and different than any other RPG I've played.

There's not even any news on the Interplay site about them. They are out in 3 days time according to amazon.co.uk and I'll certainly put a news post up when they are available if none of the other editors do.
Interplay aren't releasing it, Atari are, per Ausir, as Interplay no longer have any rights to their D&D titles. Amazon is just using promo/ boxarts from the last (Interplay) edition on its site.

Nothing on their site either.

My favourite game ever and I don't agree with the gameplay criticism. It has flaws but the sum of everything is still simply fantastic.

It's the only game that has made a lasting impression on me.

Ditto.

Unrivaled narrative along with highly creative and unique setting and companions more than make up for a bit weaker character development and combat.

PS:T was my least favorite of the IE games, and that's not meant to be negative because I loved them all. I just preferred the settings of the Sword Coast and the Dale to Sigil.

I just wished it had been not THAT dark, especially in the beginning.

A game with the colours of King's Bounty, the graphics of Drakensang and the depth of PS:T - THAT would be my dream ! :)

In the Age of the Dragon, this possibility has even dwindled further ... Developers would rather do even more darker games, I fear.

-ehm-

Sorry about that.

Explanation is here:

But like The Nameless One, the publishing house has risen from the ashes, and you can’t fault the guys there for wanting to give their classic products a second chance on the market.

Of course, it is Atari that's re-releasing it. They now own the rights to the D&D franchise, including, but not limited to re-publishing PS: Torment.

I missed the author mentioning PS: Torment's tale on the genre's clichees and stereo-types. To me this was the best part about PS: Torment; it had the courage to actually challenge the concepts of rats being the weakest enemies in the D&D universe, to tupsey-turvey ( turn upside-down) all stereo-types, for instance the quite refreshing take on death in D&D (and computer rpg) games.

To die in this game proved beneficial; it unlocked memories of your past.

Has anyone seen any information regarding technical tweaks being done for this rerelease? I've loaded my old copy up on Vista 64 and direct draw bugs almost ruin the experience. Most spell effects cause a huge system lag, even with an unofficial patch and all hardware effects switched to software. Turning down DD is supposed to fix this, but you cannot do that in Vista! I'd buy this version without hesitation if I knew they had tweaked it to work with modern DD implementation.

It works perfectly on my XP 64 rig!!

It works perfectly on my XP 64 rig!!

How far into the game have you played it on that rig? The big problems tend to start happening when you start getting the full-screen spells then the shit really hits the fan.

I uninstalled the mouse cursor fix and used the windows compatibility wizard to fix the spells. Now I have mouse lag on menu screens, but that really isn't a big issue. Time to get alchemy to work with the game. Game path and registry path both return false negatives :)

I think I saw somewhere (when this was just sort of an unconfirmed rumour) that the DVD version will be compatible with XP/Vista (and Windows 7) - I'm not promising anything, just reporting what I've seen.

Hopefully so because I would buy that version if it applied a software layer to fix the annoying glitches.

How far into the game have you played it on that rig? The big problems tend to start happening when you start getting the full-screen spells then the shit really hits the fan.

I've just lost Morte and I'm playing a mage. Haven't had a single problem so far with this replay.

Keep going, I can't remember when I started running into major bad slowdowns and stuff but it may be on the next act to the one you're on at present. Fingers crossed anyway.

I just got the new'ish releases of Fallout1/2 and the first seems to be fine while the 2nd won't even run - quality.

Ok, I made it work, just need to decide which one to play now...

Woges, if you can run killaps unofficial patch. It fixed a lot of issues and bugs that were still in the game. As far as I can tell it doesn't add too much, it just fixes errors within the game. Over 800+ bugs squashed.

Back
Top Bottom