Kingdom Come - Play a normal One

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted a PC Gamer editorial about Kingdom Come: Deliverance:

It's refreshing to play an unimportant dork in Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Meet Henry, a well-meaning lad with no special powers whatsoever.

In the first hour of The Witcher 3, as world-famous monster hunter Geralt of Rivia I cut down a mighty griffin with nothing but a sword and some bolts. In Kingdom Come: Deliverance, as Henry of nowhere in particular, I teamed up with some local lads to throw poo at a man's house.

This is one of Kingdom Come: Deliverance's most charming qualities. Not the poo, I mean, but rather the game's determination to ground you in an unglamourous period setting where people can't fling fireballs around. You're not scanning the skies for dragons, you're scrabbling around for a few measly coins so you can buy a jerkin that doesn't make people turn their nose up at you in disgust.

Henry is a blacksmith's son, which is admittedly the most cliched role for an RPG hero. The difference here is that, as far as I know, Henry isn't secretly a dragon or something. It's possible he might turn out to be the long-lost son of a King (I'm only a few hours in), but I really hope not, because it's novel for an RPG to put this much effort into simulating life at the bottom.

[...]

More information.

Looks somewhat interesting but I'll never try it with the save game system they've implemented. In a single player game I need to be able to save whenever and wherever I want or I'm out.

Looks somewhat interesting but I'll never try it with the save game system they've implemented. In a single player game I need to be able to save whenever and wherever I want or I'm out.

The Devs have already responded on the save system and said they'll do something about it (https://twitter.com/DanielVavra/status/963902455812644870?ref_src=twsrc^tfw), so you should probably wait to re-evaluate based on whatever changes they implement for that.

(And there's also a save anywhere mod out for those who prefer it, anyway)

Am I the only one who likes limited saves? Guess I am too weak to not save scum if I have the option.

Am I the only one who likes limited saves? Guess I am too weak to not save scum if I have the option.

I like them a lot. Also too weak to not save scum, although I try to set house rules sometimes. But I know that's a minority, niche opinion. I just wish there were more options that cater to that playstyle in RPGs, i.e. "Ironman Mode" or "Live With the Consequences Mode." Let the normal people turn them off and let the dorks like us turn on limited saving options. :D All too often the hardcore options are just removed entirely, though (or not there to begin with.) And I'm still waiting on an actual play-tested, balanced mode revolving around living with choices & consequences.

Options, settings, modes. We need deez in more RPGs.

I personally have nothing against limited saves, but don't like that game doesn't save on exit.

If and when they fix that, it will be perfect.

P.S. Still no bugs encountered BTW, 16 hours in.

The Devs have already responded on the save system and said they'll do something about it (https://twitter.com/DanielVavra/status/963902455812644870?ref_src=twsrc^tfw), so you should probably wait to re-evaluate based on whatever changes they implement for that.

(And there's also a save anywhere mod out for those who prefer it, anyway)

Thanks for the link and the info.

Theoretically, I understand their reasoning for limiting saves. But while I love gaming, I'm stuck in the real world, I've got a job, I'm a husband, and father of two boys. That means I'm constantly interrupted and there's just no way I can allow myself to get into a game where I can't feel like I can stop at a moment's notice.

I think Fluent's idea is the way to go - why not just make the saving restrictions optional? By all means have restricted saves as the default mode if that's how it's intended to be played, but it would take only a tiny effort to enable a quick save option for those that want it.

There should be an save and quit feature , no matter what new options they implement.
Find stealth system too rigorous.
I also think that the game should be better optimized.

Last edited:
I think Fluent's idea is the way to go - why not just make the saving restrictions optional? By all means have restricted saves as the default mode if that's how it's intended to be played, but it would take only a tiny effort to enable a quick save option for those that want it.

I'm hoping, man. 99.9% of the time the hardcore feature is either removed or not implemented to begin with. We hardcore RPG mutants need options, too! :D

Thanks for the link and the info.

Theoretically, I understand their reasoning for limiting saves. But while I love gaming, I'm stuck in the real world, I've got a job, I'm a husband, and father of two boys. That means I'm constantly interrupted and there's just no way I can allow myself to get into a game where I can't feel like I can stop at a moment's notice.

Also a husband with job and 3 boys ages 7,5 and 5 so I only play once they are abed. We all have different tastes,; I think the option is a good idea. Mount n blade warband has that option and I love it. Basically you can only save on exit so live with consequences...although at times that's not death but capture or lose of gold.

It's not up to the devs to police people's save behaviour in a non-network/competitive game. If people want to savescum, who cares? There are other reasons besides avoiding consequences to save too - we're adults, I assume, so let us make our own decisions.

It's not up to the devs to police people's save
I wish port from consoles developers didn't police the controls (some?) people will use.

Save scumming is bad but it's like cheating, who cares if you're cheating in a single player game? It's all pretty pointless.

Especially considering mods are in the picture.

Bottom line even if you don't rely on save scumming you can't seriously say that save on exit is going to ruin the game (especially if it's optional).

I use quick save features a lot, but never to save scum. I use it to prevent "oh snap, I fell down a cliff" type scenarios from forcing me to replay 10 minutes of the game. Or to prevent crashes from forcing me to replay 10 minutes of the game. Or because I have to leave right now, and not in 5 or 10 minutes (yeah, that happens more often than I'd like).

I play games with limited saves. The Elminage series comes to mind. But even in Elminage you can save & quit. I don'T see why this is a problem. It has nothing to do with savescumming.

Savescumming matters only when:
- you need to grind a lot in the atrocious game and that way you force the game to respawn trashmobs/containers/pickables so you can grind faster
- it has RNG based (roguelike?) rubbish and thus you get better outcomes on something

If the trash design is present in a game that doesn't allow saving, then checkpointscumming is also a thing, for example in MGS5.
Yes, I'm saying exactly that. Randomly generated stuff is garbage design and a finger should be pointed at it, not at a player who's cheating the stupid slot machine.

KCD is not a common grinder so I don't see any reason why would someone savescum in it ever.
But in it's current state when too many quests are broken, not using save anywhere/anytime mod is not smart - in my opinion that's not humble. I've already suggested mandatory use of that mod: you should make a separate save every time you start doing a quest. There is at least one quest bugged (nightingales) that can still be solved by being careful with saving. And you probably won't have enough of pots earlygame for saving starting of all quests and sidequests.

I would find it perfectly acceptable if the game would save when you exit. No game should dictate how long you play, when I feel like stopping I feel like stopping right then, not in a few minutes. I prefer a game that feels friendly to me, not one that imitates a non-paying job.

Back
Top Bottom